Table top Light Boxes

Sandy Vongries

I have a project where I will be  photographing a variety of small to medium sized collectibles.  Winter here, and a harsh start to it, so will be working indoors.  The project will consist of a few weeks of on and off work, then just occasional use, so I don't want to go high end.  Personal use recommendations appreciated as I have not used one before.  Thanks!

Nice project ! The question is, have you ever done this before ? If so, then what tecnique did you use ? There are a variety of options out there when it comes to table-top photography. You can use a light-box/tent if your items are going to be relatively small. Or you can get a still-life shooting table with studio flash to boot. It all depends on how much you are willing to invest.  I find the light-box approach a little limiting since you can only shoot at one, or maybe 2 to 3 angles. A still-life shooting table is more flexible, but can get quite expensive and can be bulky if you have to travel to your subject.

I created my own (DIY) 'roaming'  table-top set-up. It consists of a medium to large folding table, an adjustable backdrop pole with stands, various colored backdrop paper, clamps and a set of diffuser panels.

I made the diffuser panels from cheap photo frames I purchased at an Art store. Then instead of inserting a photo, I inserted some Roscoe diffusion paper. The panels give me more flexibility in my shooting angles than a light-box tent would give me. I arrange the panels around the subjetc and shoot from there. The flash is on the other side of the panels which allowes me to move them closer, or farther away depending on the effect I want.  I can use speedlights, or small studio strobes for the lighting(no more than 3) .  I also use a light table for special effects.  

• Excellent! 1

14 minutes ago, hjoseph7 said:

Nice project ! The question is, have you ever done this before ? If so, then what tecnique did you use ? There are a variety of options out there when it comes to table-top photography. You can use a light-box/tent if your items are going to be relatively small. Or you can get a still-life shooting table with studio flash to boot. It all depends on how much you are willing to invest.  I find the light-box approach a little limiting since you can only shoot at one, or maybe 2 to 3 angles. A still-life shooting table is more flexible, but can get quite expensive and can be bulky if you have to travel to your subject.

I created my own (DIY) 'roaming'  table-top set-up. It consists of a medium to large folding table, an adjustable backdrop pole with stands, various colored backdrop paper, clamps and a set of diffuser panels.

I made the diffuser panels from cheap photo frames I purchased at an Art store. Then instead of inserting a photo, I inserted some Roscoe diffusion paper. The panels give me more flexibility in my shooting angles than a light-box tent would give me. I arrange the panels around the subjetc and shoot from there. The flash is on the other side of the panels which allowes me to move them closer, or farther away depending on the effect I want.  I can use speedlights, or small studio strobes for the lighting(no more than 3) .  I also use a light table for special effects.  

In recent decades, my photography has generally been outdoors and personal. I have a lot of gear I used long ago, some antique lights, background stands, etc. (backgrounds long gone) to put it in perspective, the last time I sold product photography was some industrial stuff for a catalog.  Nikon FTn,  various AI lenses, Sekonic Studio and film.  I can and may drag out the old stuff, but was looking for a compact package that could be tucked away in the storage room after and between use rather than requiring lengthy setup and dominating my family room.  Some of the items are high albedo as well, and I was thinking that some sort of tent setup might work.  Looked at several online at B&H.  Appreciate your input, I do have some fabric I bought for backgrounds and like your DIY suggestions.

Hi Sandy. I have a little popup - spring loaded - light tent that came with 4 different colour background sheets that velcro inside it. The front has a simple flap with slit that you poke the lens through. The base is a white plush material that matches the texture of the BG sheets. The sides of the cube are 20" with rounded corners. 

Since it's translucent on 5 sides, you can simply point any kind of light(s) at it from almost any angle to get a directional or flat soft light. 

The downside is that it's unbranded, came in a plain white box and is only marked "Light cube 20 x 20 inch" on the black storage bag it came in. So it might be a lottery finding the identical product. 

It folds flattish into a thick circular shape. You have to be quite brutal to fold it though. Twist and keep twisting until it collapses, and keep your nose and face well out of its way when you pop it back up! 

Edit. In a pinch you can improvise a light tent with a cone of drafting film. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rodeo_joe1 said:

Hi Sandy. I have a little popup - spring loaded - light tent that came with 4 different colour background sheets that velcro inside it. The front has a simple flap with slit that you poke the lens through. The base is a white plush material that matches the texture of the BG sheets. The sides of the cube are 20" with rounded corners. 

Since it's translucent on 5 sides, you can simply point any kind of light(s) at it from almost any angle to get a directional or flat soft light. 

The downside is that it's unbranded, came in a plain white box and is only marked "Light cube 20 x 20 inch" on the black storage bag it came in. So it might be a lottery finding the identical product. 

It folds flattish into a thick circular shape. You have to be quite brutal to fold it though. Twist and keep twisting until it collapses, and keep your nose and face well out of its way when you pop it back up! 

Thanks! sounds similar to a relatively inexpensive one B&H stocks.  Will look into that one further.

1 minute ago, rodeo_joe1 said:

This looks very similar to mine

There's an 80cm version as well, which might be more versatile. The smaller 40cm (20") depth means your lens is quite close to the subject after you've poked it through the front closure. 

Thank you! Similar and a good bit less costly than the one I was considering.

1 minute ago, Tony Rowlett said:

I have done this, and it is a superb way to light small, table-top objects.

https://strobist.blogspot.com/2013/11/50-diy-projects-for-lighting.html

Thanks a lot! I had that site bookmarked on my last computer and forgot about it with the new one.  Reminder and your effort much appreciated, and a site I would recommend to others.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 11:44 PM, Tony Rowlett said:

I have done this, and it is a superb way to light small, table-top objects.

https://strobist.blogspot.com/2013/11/50-diy-projects-for-lighting.html

All well and good if you have a roll of tracing paper lying around, but decent plastic draughting film isn't that cheap or easy to find these days.... and by the time you've sourced a stout cardboard box of the right size the project becomes far more than a 10 minute job. With infinity curve background(s) not included. 

Then where do you store it so that it doesn't get dirty, damp, dented or just in the way when you've finished the shooting session?

For the sake of a 10 quid or so saving; is it really worth it? 

BTW, I'm not against DIY improvisation. Done enough of it in my time, but sometimes you've just got to weigh your time and effort against monetary outlay and draw the line somewhere. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1
  • Like 1

Tracing paper is inexpensive, widely available, and mostly in common use (a spouse who does crafting, children experimenting with drawing, off-camera flash lighting projects, etc.). If the other you mentioned "isn't that cheap," what is one to do for the occasional product shoot at home like for an eBay sale? Personally speaking, Strobist projects are extremely fun to do and very rewarding.

• Like 1

Backups? We don’t need no stinking ba #.’  _ ,    J

28 minutes ago, Tony Rowlett said:

If the other you mentioned "isn't that cheap," what is one to do for the occasional product shoot at home like for an eBay sale?

A few years back the online world got flooded with cheap softboxes and other light modifiers. Stuff that previously cost three figures from the likes of Bronica suddenly got very, very affordable. And some of it was quite innovative. Softbox brollies like this for example - 

IMG_20180503_144910.jpg.0312da1ed8097a73693bc51d035870fc.jpg

There's no way you could DIY something as useful and convenient to erect as that. 

If you, or anyone else, gets pleasure out of crafting stuff like light tents, that's fine, but a look round places like 'Hobbycraft' just makes me cringe at the prices they ask for stuff that used to be dirt cheap at a stationers or small local toy shop. Both places that disappeared from the streets some time ago. 

The hobby market, and retail world in general has changed, and not necessarily for the better. Making it cheaper to buy a ready made item than to assemble something similar from parts. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1

Points taken.

I sometimes save chunks of styrofoam from shipping boxes, the kind that is white and smooth to the touch. It can be useful for diffusing the light from speedlights for small projects, especially macro work. Sometimes the styrofoam is just too thick, other times it works pretty well.

Backups? We don’t need no stinking ba #.’  _ ,    J

Thanks for the input, all.  What I don't want to do is drag out the old stuff and set up a mini studio in the family room.  In respect to storing a DIY box or bought fixture, when in the UK years ago, I discovered something called a box room,  Have had one in every house since, and a large one here.  Though handy in many ways, they encourage accumulations, so a mixed blessing.

• Like 1