Canon EOS 1N...

hjoseph7

Since I sold my Canon EOS 3 a few months ago, I was thinking of buying a used replacement for it(The Canon EOS 1N). The reason I sold the EOS 3, was because of the LOUD and super-sensitive shutter. That and it use to eat batteries like there was no tomorrow ! Does anybody own one of these cameras, or could tell me how loud the shutter is ? It's either that, or a Nikon F4 beleive it or not... 

Did you have the PB-E1 or PB-E2 grip on your EOS 3? I find the shutter action is sped up and louder with the Power Drive Boosters, even when shooting single shot. Using just a 2CR5 battery in the standard grip, or the BP-E1 with four AA batteries, makes the EOS 3 a little quieter. The EOS 1, 1N, and 1V are also louder when using the Power Drive Boosters. 

The EOS 1N shutter does sound a little more quiet than the EOS 3.  By my ear the EOS 1 , 1N and 1V all sound similar in loudness, but the 1V has a slightly different sound to it. 

If you want a really quiet shutter, the EOS 7 and 7N are the quietest. The A2E is also very quiet. 

Edited by mike_sowsun

I have the ca. $27000 (originally) early digital version of the Canon EOS 1N, and have the EOS 3 and EOS 1. I don't find the shutter noise objectionable, however.

I was told when I reported on those cameras, that the Elan series had much quieter shutters. You might give them a listen.

4 hours ago, JDMvW said:

I have the ca. $27000 (originally) early digital version of the Canon EOS 1N, and have the EOS 3 and EOS 1. I don't find the shutter noise objectionable, however.

I was told when I reported on those cameras, that the Elan series had much quieter shutters. You might give them a listen.

Well if the shutter sound on all three cameras sound the same, then that's a deal breaker for me. I already have the Canon Elan 7e, so its not big deal (except the auto rewind does not work) as far as having an AF film SLR...  At least my 7e doesn't have that "she sort of grows on you" look like a lot of Canon cameras. I mean compare the 1N to the F4...

Edited by hjoseph7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...