Some interesting new PN features

Yes, I know that some features (notably Galleries) are still 'work in progress' but I am personally enjoying the 'user experience' of the new PN site.  Everything looks and feels fresh and I've found the forum features very easy to use (for example drag and drop image upload). The forum features all seem to work well both via my Laptop and via my phone.  Migrating an existing website/forum to a different platform is always a big challenge and I personally think that the Admins, mods and support staff have done an excellent job in preparing the migration and getting it done reliably within a couple of days.

It doesn't matter much to me how many badges I collect or how what my user status ("newbie -> rookie") is.  These kind of features are probably superfluous for most users of the 'old site' but they may IMHO well be attractive to potential newer (and younger) members. 

There are also some interesting new features (under "Explore") on this new PN site which, admittedly, might take some time to take off. For example 'Blogs'. I'm not yet sure how these will work.  I don't yet see a button for creating a blog. But the feature might be interesting for people wishing to post updates on their development or an ongoing project. 

It's nice to see the list of "staff" (Admins and moderators) under 1  menu option. I also like the features like "Downloads" and "Leaderboard" that show which images, members and posts are most popular. Does this really matter? Probably not but I like seeing 'trends'.

The same applies to "Online Users" which now includes "Guests" (who are not logged in as members). The "Online Users" feature shows not only the "who" but also their current activity. So, for anyone interested, you can get an idea (live) of the content that - probably non-members - are viewing. Most probably IMHO via a search engine.

Perhaps some (or all) these features were on the old PN site too, but somehow I find them more easily accessible on the new site. All in all, I find the new PN site a much more attractive, user-friendly and mature website than the 'old site'. Much more in keeping with the times (as far as forum websites are concerned).

image.thumb.jpeg.d7d9357fd1695ceef45541a765b5e123.jpeg

I also like the 'Active topics' on the Home page and the 'Popular Contributors' and 'Trending Content' on the Forums page. Both give the impression that the new site is always 'up to date' with the latest forum trends. For some reason, I couldn't edit my post to include this comment. I do hope that the 15 minute 'edit timeframe' on the old PN site has been extended!

Speaking for yourselves of course , for some of us it is a very frustrating experience indeed , I for example am only able to post text , the features mentioned above have very little importance to me , but if you-all like it , who am I to complain 😑.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikemorrellNL said:

Hmmm ... again unable to edit my previous post.

Did you click on the 3 dots at the top right of your response box? When I do that, I get a choice of Report, Share, and Edit. The Edit feature only stays active for a few minutes. I think that’s fine. It was no harder for me to read your subsequent posts than it would have been to read an additional paragraph in your original post.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

2 hours ago, m42dave said:

The editing time with the new site appears to be about 5 minutes, unfortunately.

The "out of the box" default for editing timeout in Invision Community is 5 minutes.  Typically, an admin will reset this to 10-15 minutes during setup.  Perhaps this will happen for us.

The 'Blogs' are just that--the opportunity to write short articles and commentaries.  My experience with these in sites mostly turns into a mess, as all sorts of mixed up stuff will appear there.  When we changed platforms on QRZ.com to Xenforo (I was the forum manager), this was left on.  It only took a week before the site owner turned it off.  I tried once again with one of my own sites--and that also went south quickly.

All in all, things are running pretty smoothly.  As a graphics site where we are seeking 'reactions', the limitation on likes is disappointing.  Those that remember Greenspun's original site will remember a rating system running from 1-5 for images.  That sort of exists now in the like system--in being able to select 5 degrees of reaction.  I believe that these can be customized to something not quite so simple minded as "Thanks, HaHa, Confused, Sad, and Like."  Time and community suggestions may change this.  Again, we shall see!

A human guest or robot crawler or bot can appear the same, depending on the admin setup.  

• Like 1

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

So, the most interesting "new" feature, at least for me, is that I can once again access PNet using my account on other than one, old, legacy computer. Hurray! This has been a major frustration for me for nearly a year. I'll be in a much better position to renew my participation, though workload in the day job is still a major impediment.

• Like 1

A few new features I do like (or if they existed in the old PN, they didn't work):

• A way to edit/delete your Custom Title again (below your displayed username)
  • Ability to delete old conversations in Messages
  • More detailed Ignored User settings (you can ignore either posts, messages, or mentions for each user, though these have to be reset with the new site)

Considering we've only been up and running for a few days, overall I think the transition has gone pretty well so far. There are still some members experiencing issues, but I'm sure they will be worked out in the coming days/weeks.

Note: Now it seems I can edit and save changes past 10 minutes, so maybe that has been reset.

Edited by m42dave
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, m42dave said:

Ability to delete old conversations in Messages

The graphic shows how do do singles.

To do bulk deletion, check the individual messages you want to delete.  Or you can click on the little box to the left of "Sort|Filter" and select All.  A little charcoal popup box will appear at the bottom of your screen saying "With X selected" and a trash can.  Click that, and say so long to old stuff.

I had to clear everything out in order to use the PM system.  A little buggie from the conversion...

PM delete.png

• Like 2

"I See Things..."

20 minutes ago, dcstep said:

Is this intentional?

We likely won’t know how some of the features will function for a while, as the programmers sort out various options. It does sound like Members will have some advantages over non-members, but much of that hasn’t yet been implemented. I’m not assuming any of these limitations are permanent. This migration is a big undertaking and will naturally take some time to refine. 

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

@samstevens your new avatar is a hoot.  I would have PM'd you, but with two messages in my inbox, I have to delete at least one for the system to work.  That's a setting, but none of us have the switch in our hands...  🤣

• Like 1

"I See Things..."

@PapaTangoThanks. I had a bit of a laugh myself! I would have LIKED your post but I didn’t want to risk running out of them. I also hope a few more actual posts will get me higher on the food chain than apprentice, which status I don’t much care for. I’m thinking master or commander would be suitable. 🙂

• Very Nice 2

"You talkin' to me?"

16 hours ago, DavidTriplett said:

So, the most interesting "new" feature, at least for me, is that I can once again access PNet using my account on other than one, old, legacy computer. Hurray! This has been a major frustration for me for nearly a year. I'll be in a much better position to renew my participation, though workload in the day job is still a major impediment.

Same here, @DavidTriplett. Though I got locked out out the 'old' forums only for 3 months (after attemting to change my e-mail address and password). Strangely, I could access my account via my mobile phone. So it'd a relief to be able to fully access the forums again either via my (new) Laptop or via my phone. I was also pleasantly suprised my attempted changes to my e-mail address and password on the old site were already active on the new site 🙂