Check Out This Hot Toasted Canon Camera, It Melted

Mark Keefer

Perhaps Nasa rocket photographers aren't rocket scientists or they just don't care. Actually the photographer said he was outside the safety zone. How ever you want to interpret that. I wonder if a little heat shielding could have at least saved the Canon camera body. The camera and tripod was just a little too close to the rocket or at least the grass fire ignited by the rocket. Wonder what the PPA insurance thought. One small step for photographer...live and learn. Dear Canon, my camera over heated today...ouch, looks like Wile E Coyote"s Camera after lgniting an Acme Rocket.

LINK

Edited by Mark Keefer
Cheers, Mark

I read public viewing is 3.9 to 6 miles distance depending on location. I never photographed a launch. I did photograph one over skies of PA launched from Wallops Island, Maryland, their visitor center viewing is 7 miles from the island. Think about how many of the Space X rocket had mishaps. Edited by Mark Keefer
Cheers, Mark

I would think that 1/4 mile distance would be enough. But then again, I ain't no rocket scientist!

1/4 mile was enough for the other five cameras, which were even a bit closer than the melted camera. What I'm trying to figure out is how the grass caught fire from 1/4 mile away, and destroyed that camera. If the heat was so intense from the rocket blast to light that grass, then I'd be still fully checking the five cameras that weren't melted.

• Like 1