Old Photo Packaging and Ephemera (Post Yours)

On 12/9/2022 at 6:50 PM, rick_drawbridge said:

I wonder how many members are acquainted with the Kodak Generator Flasholder?

1937927312_KodakFlashHolders.thumb.jpg.cee44dcc418f500e2aae1a8d11c78d7d.jpg

I am! I have one as well and have even used it on occasion. It's a convenient holder to use for flashbulbs. You just spin the wheel on the front a few times and it generates enough power to fire an M2 bulb. No batteries needed!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bettendorf said:

Which September did that take place John? 

Well the FM was current around 1980. Surely the poor old Nikon balloon is long deflated, although The Photographer Magazine of the B.I.P.P (British Institute of Professional Photography) is still airborne.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Seaman said:

Well the FM was current around 1980. Surely the poor old Nikon balloon is long deflated, although The Photographer Magazine of the B.I.P.P (British Institute of Professional Photography) is still airborne.

Ooops!  I read the first prize but my brain somehow didn't make the coupling.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a few goodies at a camera fair yesterday.

The haul included a box for an orange filter for Autochromes by Lumiere & Jougla, the filter itself wasn't there unfortunately, but for a few eurocents I'm not bothered.
haul2303.thumb.jpg.933af70070e442188dfced1ff1bc4351.jpg

Not sure which brand the aluminium film containers are. They're similar to the Agfa ones, but do not have the embossing.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, rick_drawbridge said:

A bad move on Kodak's part...

Discfincopy.jpg.e6ae3174a42e7fad87d6cff8f682fd90.jpg

I remember these--the quality of the prints was pretty bad even at 3x5".  Ironically, the advance in film quality that made the disc cameras possible moved on to 35 mm and the Japanese compact auto everything P/S cameras sold millions while Kodak lost money on the disc system.  If I remember correctly Kodak also made molded plastic aspheric lens elements for these cameras which also enabled cheaper higher quality lenses for 35 mm P/S cameras, again not resulting in extra revenue for Kodak.

• Like 1

Nikon's most fun toy ever: the DS servo units that convert manual exposure F2 bodies to shutter-priority AE. Notoriously clumsy, heavy and slow, but they do actually work to mechanically turn the lens aperture ring to follow signals from the meter prism, essentially automating the process of match-LED manual metering.

Had this one for years, bought on whim back when collectors briefly forgot about them and they were affordable. Got a new custom rechargeable battery from F2 guru Sover Wong, but quickly resold it along with the DH-1 charger. These servo units are only occasionally useful today, so maintaining a rechargeable battery is dificult. Much easier to run the thing off a common 28L 6v lithium battery.

Nikon DS12 Kit 01b.jpg

Nikon F2AS & DS-12 my01.jpg

• Like 4

This might be better posted to a "cameras in movies" thread, but its a fairly obscure ad that might also qualify as ephemera. I've been hunting for this old Nikon ad for years, and was beginning to wonder if I'd imagined it, when I finally found it again today in the July 1978 issue of Camera 35 magazine. Which may be the only time/place Nikon ran the ad, since the movie instantly bombed into cult camp classic status (instead of being the glamorous Hollywood tie-in Nikon expected).

The ad inanely promotes a camera model (F2A) that was not featured in the movie. Laura Mars almost exclusively shoots the then-brand-new FM with MD-11 motor drive and 35mm f/2.0 AI lens. A couple times in her enormous studio she rocks a Hasselblad.

Decades later there was a hypnotic museum roadshow installation by Anne Collier called "Woman With A Camera" that was basically just a room with a slide projector very slowly flipping thru iconic frames of Laura Mars becoming unhinged while composing thru her Nikon FM. Isolated from the movie, it was an oddly compelling exhibit that invoked several themes.

Nikon Eyes Of LM Ad 1978.jpg

Eyes Of Laura Mars Lobby Card (Haasselblad).jpg

eyes of laura mars FM MD11 35mm2 AI.jpg

Edited by orsetto
  • Like 5
  • Very Nice 1

Another Nikon curiosity: very early 1971 introductory F2 brochure, showing the prototypes of the DP2 (F2S) prism and DS-1 EE Aperture Servo (neither of which would become available until 1973). Note the smooth featureless paint-only finish: no leatherette or ribbing, and a smaller hump on the DP2. This might have been the only time Nikon featured a prototype in dealer marketing materials.

Nikon F2S DS1 Prototype 1971 Brochure.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't remember if I posted these before:

Film ad inside a Zeiss Ikon BOB 510/2 w lens: Nettar Anastigmat 10.5cm f/7.7 (1936-1941):

Film advertisment from inside of a Zeiss Ikon 6x9 folder

Same camera as above. Copenhagen camera store decal:

Camera shop decal inside a Zeiss Ikon 6x9 folder

From an ILFORD Sportsman Auto:

Always use Ilford 35mm Films

From a simple ADOX folder:

Schöne Bilder Mit ADOX Film

From a 1950's "automatic" AGFA 35mm camera:

Agfapan

From a Konica Autoreflex A3 35mm SLR:

Sakura Film

A decal advertising a German camera shop from a Zeiss Ikon Box-Tengor medium format camera:

Zeiss Ikon Box-Tengor 56/2 circa 1950

• Like 4
Niels

• 2 months later...