Sadism & the QR Plate

Thus, when birding, I can rapidly swap the scope for the 150-500 lens, attach the camera body and (hopefully) be able to photograph the bird(s) I have seen.

That's a use-case where I'll grudgingly give an advantage to the QR plate - provided both spotting scope and lens are aligned identically on their plates, and remain so.

However I'll definitely agree to disagree about the usefulness and ergonomic impact of having one of those sharp little plates permanently stuck to the bottom of a camera body.

• Like 1

That's a use-case where I'll grudgingly give an advantage to the QR plate - provided both spotting scope and lens are aligned identically on their plates, and remain so.

However I'll definitely agree to disagree about the usefulness and ergonomic impact of having one of those sharp little plates permanently stuck to the bottom of a camera body.

As I intimated, my set up suits me and my needs. Others may (and do !) feel differently. ;)

The AS plates/rails are usually unobtrusive. On my current cameras, I use a L-bracket with a built-in AS rail.

However, on anything smaller than a view camera, the Manfrotto hex plate definitely is NOT unobtrusive.

BTW, what plate is that on your view camera? It looks like a Manfrotto plate, but I've not seen that one before.

I am quite content with the Novoflex 1" diameter screw heads sticking maybe 5mm out of my (comparably light!) stuff. But yeah, after bending my Super A's base plate enough to loose MD contacts, I 'd appreciate if manufacturers ditched the darn thread in favour of the Arca flange. Do they have to pay loyalties, if they machined that into feet of tripod collars? Or why don't they?

I am quite content with the Novoflex 1" diameter screw heads sticking maybe 5mm out of my (comparably light!) stuff. But yeah, after bending my Super A's base plate enough to loose MD contacts, I 'd appreciate if manufacturers ditched the darn thread in favour of the Arca flange. Do they have to pay loyalties, if they machined that into feet of tripod collars? Or why don't they?

I have seen AS rails integrated into the tripod foot of some lenses.

upload_2022-6-17_14-10-59.png.08a43d7d680c5aa3c549b8dfce0dfd7e.png

Here is a Tamron 70-200/2.8 with the foot showing the integrated AS rail.

• Like 1

Really Right Stuff makes replacement feet for many long lenses. I have them for several Nikon and Sony lenses, including the entire mounting ring for a Nikon AF-S 300/4. For other lenses, there are long plates with anti-rotation devices.

BTW, what plate is that on your view camera? It looks like a Manfrotto plate, but I've not seen that one before.

You're right Gary, it's a variant of Manfrotto's hex plate, model#030L. Not sure if it's still in production though. B&H have it listed as 'no longer available'. Maybe there's some NOS samples out there somewhere, but both of mine were bought used some years ago.

And BTW, just Googled Manfrotto QR plates: How many friggin' different designs of QR plate does one company need to produce for chrisake? :eek:

No wonder people are turning to heads that have an AS fitment.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 2

This an adapter I use for video. It consists of a small RRS Arca clamp, attached to a base plate with dual 15 mm rods, and a long plate for a particular video head on the bottom. The rods support a battery plate, for a 98 to 150 WH 18v battery. Each camera (6 and counting) is fitted with an Arca plate, giving me a wide choice for a particular event.

IMG_0370.thumb.JPG.920b5169c5ae22e70d2646420404cbba.JPG

The Kessler QR plate on my 4x5 has two screws mounting to the camera. That prevents the camera from twisting and doubles the connection to the tripod. Of course, the release to Gitzo tripod only has one 3/8" screw hole. But that was tightened originally with pliers unlike temporary hand tightening a knurled knob on the tripod to a camera without a QR.

Also, my plate allows me to slide the camera forward and back to center the camera weight depending on how open the bellows are on the 4x5 or how big the lens is on my medium format setup which has its own connection plate. The plate locks in to allow the sliding to prevent dropping. Then once it's in the right location, a single snap on the QR locks the position tight.

This might sound like a commercial for a product but I assure you it is unpaid testimony from my own experience. I use two cameras for most of my work, a Pentax 645z and a 67ii, both medium format. I have RRS Arca Swiss style QR plates on both of these and I never had a negative issue with either. The vast majority of my shots are done using a tripod, on which I have the RRS lever release clamp. I found this to be very secure and quick to use, far faster than turning a knob. Perhaps because of the size of these cameras my workflow works well with the qr plates, clamps, and tripod. Regards.

You're right Gary, it's a variant of Manfrotto's hex plate, model#030L. Not sure if it's still in production though. B&H have it listed as 'no longer available'. Maybe there's some NOS samples out there somewhere, but both of mine were bought used some years ago.

And BTW, just Googled Manfrotto QR plates: How many friggin' different designs of QR plate does one company need to produce for chrisake? :eek:

No wonder people are turning to heads that have an AS fitment.

The 030L is listed as discontinued on several sites.

I found a used one, and bought it. :D

• Like 1

It has shipped and on its way to me.

[uSER=2403817]@rodeo_joe|1[/uSER] Thanks for the tip.

Good luck with it Gary.

One slight caveat. Its size prevents you from seeing exactly where the 3 'feet' are and it's easy to misalign it with the tripod head and for it not to lock in place. So just take care that it's properly seated in the socket before letting go of the camera!

• Like 1

Arca QR with a lever operated clamp is arguably the safest. The force needed to close the lever is very consistent when correct. If it is too loose, you know immediately. If too tight (usually impossibly tight), the plate is tipped and only catching on the edge. The latter can be deceiving when using a screw-type closure. To borrow a political phrase, "trust but verify!"

Better video heads use a side-entry plate. The long beveled plate is engaged on one edge, then tipped level until it snaps into place.

Arca QR with a lever operated clamp is arguably the safest. The force needed to close the lever is very consistent when correct. If it is too loose, you know immediately. If too tight (usually impossibly tight), the plate is tipped and only catching on the edge. The latter can be deceiving when using a screw-type closure. To borrow a political phrase, "trust but verify!"

Better video heads use a side-entry plate. The long beveled plate is engaged on one edge, then tipped level until it snaps into place.

My experience with my lever AS clamp is, it depends on the rail/plate.

If you use ONE brand of rail/plates, you are OK, but if you use several brands, as I do, maybe not.

The different brands are just a "little" bit different, so when my lever clamps down, some are tight and some are loose. Then I have to go to the other side of the clamp to adjust the screw.

I would like to find a snap locking AS clamp, like the Manfrotto clamps and the video head you mentioned.

Maybe I have not been looking hard enough.

As I mentioned earlier, thousandths of an inch matter with A-S QR. It's best to use the same brand of plate and clamp with the lever option. However I've been able to find and use mis-matched manufactures satisfactorily. SmallRig cages with Arca bevels, for example, work with RRS clamps.

While Arca Swiss makes adjustable levers, RRS does not. I use only the latter. Anything adjustable is likely to be mis-adjusted at the wrong moment.

Look for the term "side entry" when looking for a video head. I'm not sure how useful that is for still photography, when the plates are typically 3" wide and 6" long, and work longitudinally.

Good luck with it Gary.

One slight caveat. Its size prevents you from seeing exactly where the 3 'feet' are and it's easy to misalign it with the tripod head and for it not to lock in place. So just take care that it's properly seated in the socket before letting go of the camera!

It arrived :D

Now to go tinker with it.

The plate has a 3/8 screw, I have to look at my view camera, but I think it has a 1/4 screw. If so, I have to replace the screw on the plate.

DANG $18.55 for a replacement screw.

Edited by Gary Naka

If so, I have to replace the screw on the plate.

DANG $18.55 for a replacement screw.

Those bolts are completely interchangeable between the hex plate and the square extended version. The 3/8" ones just screw straight out, while the 1/4" version has a stepped 3/8" section that can be 'jiggled' to mate with the thread in the QR plate and then unscrewed.

BTW, most LF cameras have a 3/8" tripod mount. Check that a 1/4" reducing adapter hasn't been fitted to your view camera. 'Cos I'd be surprised to see a view camera with a native piddling 1/4" hole.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 1