How to photograph falling snow flakes

wildflower art

If you're doing digital, then experiment.

Here, from film times, are some scenes taken with just the camera, no flash and a little later with flash only. Neither is the effect you seem to be asking forIN-New-Harmony.jpg.7229e70d42062d14941bfb58ee982a0b.jpg

In twilight, unsynchronized flash can 'freeze' the snowflakes, and ambient light can show the beech.

You need to set a medium sort of speed on the camera, then hand trigger a flash held separately during the time the shutter is open.

Edited by JDMvW

Do you want the snowflakes to be stopped in motion or to show a little motion? Lighting and shutter speed will determine that. In daylight hours I've found that when the snowflakes are side-lighted I achieve best results. I've never shot them in really dim light though, although JDM's suggestion seems like a good one.

Depends on the end result you're looking for. Light is usually fairly dim while snow is falling. At the end of a snow the sky often lightens up as the clouds thin. If you shoot from a distance, you'll shoot through a lot of snow, so keep that in mind. Sometimes being close doesn't show many falling flakes, so some distant or darker background will help the flakes be seen. I think of photographing falling snow as any moving object. High ISO and shutter speeds in excess of 1/1000 sec. F stop will vary based on what you want, so play with it.

Here are 2 examples of shooting trees with falling snow. The birches are about 50 ft away and the other trees are closer to 100 feet away. I manually focused "out there" to get any snow in focus. I don't have anything with beech, so use your imagination. The snow was falling moderately, but this gives you an idea of what focusing through a lot of snow in the air looks like.

Image one: ISO 800, f5.0, 1/1600 sec, 105mm, taken at about 2pm with ambient light.

394709969_pnetsnow1.thumb.JPG.caf0cd812bfb9cfbe9b8da02bf15ddb0.JPG

#2 Birches, ISO 500, f6.3, 1/1000 sec 400mm taken at 9:30 am with ambient light.

1663151110_pnetsnow2.thumb.JPG.377c21b9f702177c81939dcff4053af6.JPG

You need to think abut how you want your image to look. You can do this at night with a flash, if you wish. Have fun with it and good luck.

• Like 1