Selfie camera behaving like a mirror?

Jochen_S

Asking a younger guy how to shoot my tablet's cameras, I realized: The one on the screen side behaves like a mirror! I started wondering and asking.

None of my tablets seems capable of assisting me with rearranging a contact lens, so where is an imaginable pocket mirror functionality? Do others use their phones for facial war paint application?

Am I too dense to spot an user setting or do I need an app, to get selfies, that look like taken with a normal camera?

Why?!? OK, framing might be easier, since people are used to holding mirrors. But a flipped result? Its maybe suitable to please people knowing themself only in mirrors but I 'd rather picture reality.

How are those camera modules built? With mirorrs or prisms or are they flipping their images electronically?

Thanks for any advice or insights. Surely not the most important issue in the world but still confusing.

On my phone, this is a setting; an on/off option 'Mirror photos for front camera'; but there's more text: '*save* photos in mirror mode'. I just tried it out, and sure enough, it shows me a mirror view either way it's set, but saves the picture mirrored or not according to the setting. I guess the value is that the user has the comfort of seeing the face they are used to. The mirror view might also make it more intuitively obvious how to manoeuvre the camera to get yourself *and* the Eiffel Tower in the frame.

The only time I have used the front-facing camera was in hospital, when I woke up there after falling off my bike. Would you believe it, they don't have mirrors in Accident & Emergency?

A mirror setting is available in Zoom too; but that also lets you put cat ears on yourself. My EOS M50 won't do that. :(