Mirrorless Monday, Jan 31, 2022

Sanford

I thought I'd share a quick observation: this thread, and most likely all of them, contains images that are made by six different brands of camera. And it's not a huge thread, either. We have Fuji, Canon, Panasonic, Nikon, Sony and Olympus represented. Having a variety of manufacturers is very important in any industry.

I miss the informal "separation of powers" that used to exist between camera brands and film emulsions, but, you can't put the cat back in the bag.

• Like 2

Sorry, I'm not bitching about Mirrorless Monday, more about "Mirrorless Digital Cameras". It would be better if there was a "DSLR Digital Cameras" category to match it. That would go with Classic Manual and Modern Film cameras. The argument is largely between splitters and lumpers. Do we need more specific-camera make forums or fewer, more general, categories? Why does Canon FD have a whole category when there is not an M42 category or Minolta MD, Pentax K etc etc, for example? It would be better to have "Digital Photography" and "Film Photography" forums rather than splitting off mirrorless as a special category of digital. Its really not that special anymore (if it ever was). The Mirrorless Monday thread would fit nicely into a Digital Photography forum for example.
  • Like 1
Robin Smith

Sorry, I'm not bitching about Mirrorless Monday, more about "Mirrorless Digital Cameras". It would be better if there was a "DSLR Digital Cameras" category to match it. That would go with Classic Manual and Modern Film cameras. The argument is largely between splitters and lumpers. Do we need more specific-camera make forums or fewer, more general, categories? Why does Canon FD have a whole category when there is not an M42 category or Minolta MD, Pentax K etc etc, for example? It would be better to have "Digital Photography" and "Film Photography" forums rather than splitting off mirrorless as a special category of digital. Its really not that special anymore (if it ever was). The Mirrorless Monday thread would fit nicely into a Digital Photography forum for example.

I agree.

As far as discussions about equipment (brand, type) specific topics are concerned, splitting into brand and type specific forums makes sense.

But as far as photos are concerned, it makes more sense to divide into topic/content specific forums. With few, if any,"intermediate" divisions, such as film v. digital.