Berlin Architecture (Germany)

ulrichberger

After a long planning and construction period, "The Cube" is finally in Berlin (Germany).

Since the beginning of 2020, people and buildings have been reflected in the broken façade of "The Cube" in front of Berlin's railway station. Inside, more than 3800 sensors monitor people. They open the doors, provide you with information and the lifts automatically take users to the right floor of the eleven levels. The Danish architects from the 3XN office in Copenhagen developed a digital concept for the "smart offices" on Washington Square.

Whether this will benefit the work-live balance or the high-tech lifestyle of the users remains to be seen.

So far, at least the many visitors to Berlin's main station are enjoying the conundrum of the cube's reflective façades.

p3946114934-4.jpg

"The Cube" in front of Berlin Central Station

p3946108026-4.jpg

The façade is ventilated and has outdoor terraces

p3946110407-4.jpg

Despite the mirroring, plenty of daylight enters the offices

p3946114215-4.jpg

A sculpture with 42.5 metres edge length and 19,500 square metres of floor space

p3946110930-4.jpg

Kaleidoscope

p3946110670-4.jpg

Smart Commercial Building", the future of the office?

Does it work as a series of pictures, with some text?

All the best, Uli

• Like 2

I like them but the series Might be better with a photo of what was there before.

Ah, a picture before the construction. Hm, I hadn't thought of that. Because there was absolutely nothing here since the end of the Second World War. Here was an open field, which is now slowly being built on.

Thanks for the idea.

Best regards, Uli

As an Architect I like these. The second could use some perspective correction. I might also like to see more context in some of the images, and more detail in others. Inside, looking out, or exploring how the form and views shape the interior environment would also be desirable. While the materials palette is limited, images exploring expressions of materiality would also be good.
  • Like 2

As an Architect I like these. The second could use some perspective correction. I might also like to see more context in some of the images, and more detail in others. Inside, looking out, or exploring how the form and views shape the interior environment would also be desirable. While the materials palette is limited, images exploring expressions of materiality would also be good.

I was standing directly in front of the building and wanted to convey the height of The Cube with the slight tilt to the back in the picture, which obviously doesn't work.

Yes, the details. I had focused on the reflection of The Cube's environment....

Unfortunately, I didn't get into the building that day. Let's see if it works another time.

Thanks for the comment, that helps!

• Like 1

I was standing directly in front of the building and wanted to convey the height of The Cube with the slight tilt to the back in the picture, which obviously doesn't work.

OK, so given this perspective, I think this would have worked better as-is if only the building could be seen resting on the ground, rather than cut-off above-ground. It depends, of course, on what is in the foreground, but an image like this, with the building apparently tilted back due to your viewing position, might (but not certainly) be more effective with at least a small portion of the foreground/building base visible. It would rationalize the perspective effects of this view.

• Like 1