Topaz Sharpen AI

That's my understanding. The vendors use machine learning on large datasets to develop canned algorithms that are--ideally--more effective than those humans write. I don' think there is any AI at all going on in your local computer.

(snip)

The usual AI systems use a complicated training algorithm with training data and a lot of computation.

The result, then, uses relatively less computation to do what it does.

I suppose then, using your example, it depends on how canned the resulting algorithm is.

Deep neural nets are pretty popular now, and I believe in that case the final algorithm is

still considered part of the AI.

In some cases, you might use some complicated algorithm to find coefficients are a polynomial.

In that case, I suppose I would consider the final result not using any AI.

One difference, and this is sometimes important, is whether a human can understand the result.

There is a story of someone using an AI algorithm to determine credit scores, and decide who

should get a loan. In the end, though, when you turn down someone for a loan, it seems that

you are required to tell them why. "Because this algorithm said so" isn't a valid reason.

So as well as I know, it works both way.

-- glen

I'm always so hopeful, being a sort of pessimistic optiimist (was it Wilde who said something to the effect that it was disappointing that low opinions were so often justified?); but I'm still looking for that magic wand to fix things.

Thanks for the tests, Rodeo_joe

I believe this is the one for the seminar I attended. It is not specifically sharpening,

but I suspect that it will do it.

synthesize-images.pdf

One section is on converting paintings into photographs.

Even if you just look at the pictures, it is fun to read.

There are some interesting examples in the paper linked.

On page 118 and 119, it converts photographs to the style of

famous painters.

-- glen