Choosing the right lens

victorbencosme

For me, the best approach over some fifty years has always been to take the first shot you see - any shot is better than none ! Then look towards refining it (if the subject hasn't gone, of course ;) ) - see if a different angle, focal length (whether zoom or prime - your choice), or distance from the subject would produce a more pleasing (to you) result. The only choreography I have ever done is dancing up and down with frustration when I've missed a shot ! :mad:
  • Like 2

More?!

Maybe start using a LF camera and a limited number of sheets of film. Then you start with looking, and looking again. Then you deliberate, have another look. Et cetera. And only after that, you expose a sheet.

That's the even better approach. :)

That would be one approach which would, I am sure, immeasurably improve my technical abilities. However, much of my photography is done with subjects that move, such as wildlife and vintage transport, where the opportunities for deliberation, reflection and contemplation are somewhat limited. If, however, I am attempting landscape, architecture or less 'frantic' (for want of a better word) photography, I use a tripod, study the scene, try varied viewpoints (including shooting at a lower level, ignoring my knees' objection to this activity), try to anticipate the most effective lighting (which may necessitate returning at a different time of day) and generally trying to produce images which do justice to my chosen subject.

Thank you anyway for your input.

For me, the best approach over some fifty years has always been to take the first shot you see - any shot is better than none ! Then look towards refining it (if the subject hasn't gone, of course ;) )

There is nothing worse than stumbling across the perfect crepuscular rays, setting the tripod up, changing the lens, switching filters, and then finding the clouds have moved :mad:

• Like 1

That would be one approach which would, I am sure, immeasurably improve my technical abilities. However, much of my photography is done with subjects that move, such as wildlife and vintage transport, where the opportunities for deliberation, reflection and contemplation are somewhat limited. If, however, I am attempting landscape, architecture or less 'frantic' (for want of a better word) photography, I use a tripod, study the scene, try varied viewpoints (including shooting at a lower level, ignoring my knees' objection to this activity), try to anticipate the most effective lighting (which may necessitate returning at a different time of day) and generally trying to produce images which do justice to my chosen subject.

Thank you anyway for your input.

Doesn't wildlife photography mainly consist of studying your subject, tracing its habits, finding a good spot, and a lot of patient and impatient waiting for the 'actor' to hit the mark?

Transport is something that inherently comes with a lot of planning. Surely ancient transport allows for planning at a more leisurely pace?

:)

Even crepuscular rays... An unpredictable, but known set of circumstances. The direction to point your camera towards. The scene that will be the 'front drop'. The time of day. All planable. But, as in wildlife photography, a lot of patient waiting for the occurance. A lot of idle time, to ponder how to tackle a next project.

Edited by q.g._de_bakker

I can learn from others how to see things differently, and that learning might change what I instinctively see. However, if I want to capture what I am seeing right now then over-thinking and choreographing is not going to produce the right result.

Put another way, there is probably a best practice for walking, but using my own walk has always felt more natural to me.

I encourage that behaviour.

However, because you chose to make your commentary a response directed to me, quoting "best practice and protocol", I reiterate, the quote, “best practice and protocol” is clearly a specific response to a technical procedure described (incorrectly) in Post #21.

And certainly my post was not an indication of what is universally “best practice and protocol”: seemingly such has been implied, or at the least, the meaning has been misunderstood.

Should the technical procedure described in Post #21 be employed, then it is best practice and protocol, to proceed in the order as I described.

WW