Nikon Announce Z6 II and Z7 II

ShunCheung

Well, different economic systems have advantages and disadvantages, some things are cheaper in my country than in the US, cameras just don't happen to be in that list. :) In my experience, Nikon's launch prices are not held very long and you can expect to pay lower prices, say, in 6-12 months. Though this time around, the Z7 II price seems to have been set competitively.
  • Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm super excited about this. While I love the Z7 (and recognize he shortcoming re. the Sony A9 and II), I prefer the Z7 in many aspects. So seeing the Vers. II improving on many fronts I can't wait to get my hands on these. Low light AF performance, eye and face recognition, are the aspects i'm mostly interested in, besides a second card slot that seems unavoidable to me. So I have the Z6 II on preorder with the hopes I can kick my Sony gear out, as I much prefer the Nikon glass...
  • Like 1

I'm sure there will be upgraders. I noticed Nikon USA have quite many ambassadors commenting on the Z7 II and Z6 II including favourable comments on the autofocus.

Nikon Z6 II | 24.5 MP Mirrorless Camera

Nikon Z7 II | 45.7 MP Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

The shots are pretty dynamic even if the focus is on people at close range with relatively short focal length lenses.

Of course, this should be considered Nikon advertising and not so much authentic independent reviews, but also it is unlikely they would say these things without some truth to it. :)

• Like 2

I wonder if there's the start of a upgrade cycle for some? Get rid of Z6 for best price NOW and get Z6ii when it's out.

Supposedly they will be available as early as this December, right? I have pre-ordered the Z7 II (need to follow the route) but will probably discard my current Z6 (not using it - almost "new in the box"). When I get the Z7 II, I will sell the current Z7 as well.

Nikon UK still has the 'old' Z6 + FTZ for £1649..

...and £1999 for Z6ii or £2139 for Z6ii and FTZ.

Difficult to decide if I leapfrog the Z6...;)

I would imagine within 6 to 8 months the Z6ii & FTZ will be selling at around the £1650 mark and of course wait for the ubiquitous 'sales' perhaps even less?

• Like 2

There FTZ is great with motorized lenses. It doesn’t power screwdriver lenses. On my Z7 with the FTZ, the focus is more precise than my D800 can do, even after the D800 was professionally calibrated. The image quality with the 85/1.8G and the 70-300 AF-P is incredible. I’m shocked at how good the images with the 70-300 are.

I'm guessing it's the effect of WYSIWYG with contrast detect AF?

AFAIK, the Z series has Phase Detect on Chip aswell. How does the body know which to use, and can you force it to use Contrast Detect only?

It’s using both together, I don’t know if it’s possible to separate them. And you’re right - using the sensor to focus, there’s less to go wrong. With DSLR focus you have an optical path, small parts that need to be precisely aligned etc. A D800 that’s been auto focused in live view is a bit sharper, not because contrast detect is special but because it bypasses that optical path and uses the sensor to focus.

Contrast-detect is also more accurate (if the subject is not moving) than PDAF, but on-sensor PDAF is pretty accurate as well. Some users do report needing to use a small fine tune value with some lenses even with mirrorless cameras but it is not as critical a feature as it has been with some DSLR generations. Earlier DSLR focusing systems are less accurate than the newest ones, as the technology has evolved. My D800 was nowhere near accurate enough for 36 MP with fast primes but with some lenses it was OK. The D6 by contrast is very accurate; so far all the lenses I have tested have auto AF fine tuned to -1 to +1 and the AF fine tune is much more stable and doesn't need to be repeated many times to get an average. Also practical use has been consistent with the calibration. The D850 is somewhere in-between; one may not get every shot in focus at f/1.4 or f/2 after calibration but most shots are in focus and at f/2.8 and smaller apertures there doesn't seem to be any significant issue with accuracy (some zooms may be an exception e.g. the 24-70/2.8 G or E neither can be fine tuned 100% using a single setting, and at 50mm on the E version I find focus accuracy could be better). Live view is still more accurate on static subjects but viewfinder AF is hugely improved compared to what I experienced with the D800.

For wide-aperture portrait photography with eye AF mirrorless is without doubt a great technology. But it too has some limitations for example if the subject is far out of focus, it may be necessary to manually preset focus before it recognizes the subject in some situations, which is not a common experience with DSLRs. Both technologies seem to be rapidly evolving (although more manufacturers are placing their emphasis on mirrorless).

• 3 weeks later...