chemistry and all rinses to stop hard water spots from forming when

the negs dry. Use that extensive is effective, but a bit of a pain,

and will use up my filter quick.

Based on experience can anyone tell me if filtered water in only the

final rinses and solution (Orbit bath, photo flo ) is sufficient to

keep spots from forming?

Thanks,

Andy

I use a Paterson in-line filter which has a 10 micron gauze in it. To save this from blocking up to quickly I put a wad of cotton wool on top of it. I use filtered water for all solutions and for the washes (Ilford hand washing method). I live in a hard water area and use Paterson wetting agent at its lowest concentration (2 drops per 100 ml water) and I get spotless negs.

I put a standard hardware store filter on the incoming water line and it definitely takes care of grit and small particles. It won't do a thing for water spots, so you still need a final distilled water rinse with some wetting agent. Personally, I don't bother with this, but rinse in correctly mixed Photo-flo, followed by a wipe with a photo grade sponge set. Despite all the advice against this, it works fine if the water is filtered and the sponges kept clean. I have no scratches, no water spots, and very fast drying.

Hello everyone. Water spotting will only occur from drying. On all my films (roll and sheet), I put .5cc of Photo-flo into the final wash water (static, not running water) and soak for 3-5 minutes. Hang the film(s) up and flood 2x on each side with a pump mister (available just about anywhere) filled with DI water. Spots and Nessy monsters vanished long ago. Enjoy, Bill

Even filtered and distilled water can create spots on your negatives if dried improperly.

My solution to this problem (with 35mm and 4x5 sheet film) was to adequately irrigate

the processed film and drain negatives by weighing down the bottom of the 4x5 negative

sheet (or short 35mm roll) with one or two of those small paper clamps partially

submerged in a wetting agent. Fluid-dynamics seemed to eliminate any spotting,

especially if dried in a relatively dust-free environment.