What is "Street Photography" ?

MrAndMrsIzzy

Street may be an attitude or sensibility, a suggestiveness in the work, as much as or more than a matter of actual subject.

That's why I like the terms "Local Color", "Random Photography", and\or "Found Image" better than "Street Photography". "Street" (as I see it) implies a specific. The others. Not so!....Izzy

Izzy From Brooklyn

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Street may be an attitude or sensibility, a suggestiveness in the work, as much as or more than a matter of actual subject."

+1

When I am out shooting 'street' my mindset is very different than any other time. Just as my choice of camera format informs the imagery, my mindset opens doors to a different language than I use in other categories. The label street has evolved for me. I now often think more of street mode and together with the location,,, if outdoors it is street photography.

As sam suggested the sensibility, the suggestiveness is significant in viewing the work as street.

• Like 1

n e y e

"Just as my choice of camera format informs the imagery" inoneeye.

I think creativity// vision is what it is all about other than choice of gear or formats. A cannot see that path leading anywhere other than gear fondling.

So,what is street photography all about? Well, to mind my mind it is very simple.

It is what you want it to be ,you decide, you the photographer.

• Like 1

Many artists/photographers are in touch with their tools to the extent they will inspire them in certain ways. One can experience that without being a gear head. Many gear heads can achieve that kind of intimacy with their tools as well just as many just collect and don’t. A lot of snappers may not understand this because it takes a degree of depth as well as a kind of sensitivity they not only lack but can’t even empathize with or imagine.

Edited by samstevens
  • Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

"Many gear heads can achieve that kind of intimacy with their tools" Sam/Fred

Intimacy with a lump of plastic/metal, Hmm. But what has that to do with creativity or vision?

Hey, photography encompass all. Who am I, or anyone, to say the enjoyment of photography is not about fondling a lump of plastic/metal.

If that is what its about for some folk...why not.

A cannot see that path leading anywhere other than gear fondling.

I understand that you probably can't. unfortunate lack of imagination, missed oppurtunity imo. . It's nothing to do with the metal it has much to do with the format as stated and awareness of the tools.

n e y e

I posted this question on a different site and got a bunch of different answers and opinions.

The best one (I thought) was "random photography". Unplanned, un-setup, city street, country road, forest trail, etc.

Basically any kind of found image (don't know what else to call it) that the photographer thinks would make a good pic.....Izzy

many call it candid photography. But the idea that it is "random photography" unplanned, unsetup.... excludes many too street photographs that were not very spontaneous.

As Moving On alludes to we create categories. Maybe for convenience maybe something deeper but in a genre such as street photography the borders are porous. As such it is loose, open to take it where you want. And for the viewer to take it from there and file it as they see fit. Calling it street photography helps you find it in the cabinet.

Edited by inoneeye
  • Like 1

n e y e

in a genre such as street photography the borders are porous. As such it is loose, open to take it where you want. And for the viewer to take it from there and file it as they see fit. Calling it street photography helps you find it in the cabinet.

Amen!

Izzy From Brooklyn

Btw, one if the file folders in the cabinet is labeled 'found photography'. ie literally found photos. Often anonymous and recovered from obscurity.

Just a headsup....

It made perfect sense in the context you used found images in your opening.

n e y e

Btw, one if the file folders in the cabinet is labeled 'found photography'. ie literally found photos. Often anonymous and recovered from obscurity.

Just a headsup....

It made perfect sense in the context you used found images in your opening.

Well! What I meant was you're someplace and see something you think would make a good image so you take a pic and hope that you got what you saw (so to speak).

That said, obviously the expressions "found image", "found photography", found photograph", etc. could be used in the sense you described also

• Like 1
Izzy From Brooklyn

My writing comprehension may need some work!

What i am saying is your opening made perfect sense to me.

no slight. I was simply adding a poi. that found photography is a photography genre.

Edited by inoneeye

n e y e

you're someplace and see something you think would make a good image so you take a pic and hope that you got what you saw (so to speak)

Interestingly enough, a corollary, and perhaps contrast, to this is that you hope that you got more, less, or something other than what you saw. Street photography, like all other photography, not only has the power to memorialize but also has the power, in many instances, to transform ... and to become metaphor.

I can't explain why exactly, and it might be the type of photo an explanation couldn't do justice, but below I've linked to one of my favorite street photos, by Brassai. No doubt this is what he saw, but I also think he photographed between the lines and gave it a kind of photographic life it didn't originally have.

BRASSAI

"You talkin' to me?"

Interestingly enough, a corollary, and perhaps contrast, to this is that you hope that you got more, less, or something other than what you saw. Street photography, like all other photography, not only has the power to memorialize but also has the power, in many instances, to transform ... and to become metaphor.

I can't explain why exactly, and it might be the type of photo an explanation couldn't do justice, but below I've linked to one of my favorite street photos, by Brassai. No doubt this is what he saw, but I also think he photographed between the lines and gave it a kind of photographic life it didn't originally have.

Atmosphere!

Izzy From Brooklyn