Z50 being overlooked?

mark45831

I have noticed on a lot of the boards mainly on FB that the Z50 is being overlooked as if its a toy camera, grant you it doesnt have all the bells and whistles the Z6/7 has but I have seen some real nice image's from it and for the price it looks as if its a good deal.
  • Like 1

I have noticed on a lot of the boards mainly on FB that the Z50 is being overlooked as if its a toy camera, grant you it doesnt have all the bells and whistles the Z6/7 has but I have seen some real nice image's from it and for the price it looks as if its a good deal.

Not sure why you have that impression. FaceBook has one group that is exclusively for Z50 users: Nikon Z50 Shooters, and there are a couple of additional groups for all Nikon Z users, Z6, Z7, and Z50.

The Z50 is a consumer-grade body with matching kit lenses with plastic mounts. You can take great images with a phone camera, but those are mostly landscape, travel, and family type images. I am sure the Z50 is a lot more advanced than the average phone camera.

I don't think it is. Daniel Norton just posted a video about it, how he is using it for vlogging. He seemed impressed with the video quality and video autofocus, but battery life was short. On some other forums, people doing bird photography seem to have adopted it for regular use.

I've also considered it because the kit zoom is ridiculously small when collapsed and it would probably make a good camera for landscape photography when not primarily shooting landscape.

Some users are noting that with the mirrorless cameras, autofocus at small apertures (f/8 etc.) works better than with a DSLR, so they may be using some slower-aperture lens + TC setups successfully with the Z cameras, including Z50.

I just acquired a new Z50 with the 16-50 kit lens and FTZ lens adapter. Got a good deal with Nikon's special promo pricing (thanks for the heads-up Shun!). I've been using a D300 since 2007. It's still a good quality camera, but a little long in the tooth as far as auto focus, high ISO, and resolution. I'm a retired newspaper photographer. I've always used APS-C cameras and that format suits my photo interests just fine. Naturally I wanted to upgrade to the D500. But I find the Z50 is a good upgrade for me at a much better price. I wish it had a vertical grip attachment, but that's not a deal-breaker. It's a little awkward tracking birds in flight, but it's doable. There's a lot I love about the Z50, including the small form factor and the improved IQ. Maybe some day I'll go for an FX format camera, a Z-6 maybe, DSC_0840ALo.thumb.JPG.d6901bc17e77a0cf4a42893adca07f98.JPG but for now the Z50 suits me just fine.
  • Like 5

1000 px x 808 px

Ah, I see the problem...:confused:

I meant the sensor's pixel density!

DX DSLR's and long teles always had the 'extended reach' label compared to the same lens on an older FX body. The D850 put that one to bed.

I haven't looked at the Z50 spec... That's why it was a LAZY edit.....:p

For my use the Z50 doesn't seem to the better camera for "landscapes, travel and family photos". Nikon Z's is more geared to full frame. Z50; for snapshots fine but if one wanted some dedicated wide fast lenses for low light say, a evening night market, or a evening walk after dinner outside it's not so much a rounded product. Edited by RaymondC

If Sigma bought out the 18-35mm 1.8 and 50-100mm 1.8 in native Z Mount, it might be interesting to try.

Although they may be not wide enough for landscape or long enough for sport.

I use them both very successfully on my D500.

I copied the following from an answer on "DPReview" because i cannot say it better in Englishand i fully agree to it :

'

Yes, Sony's Open E mount standard is very attractive to third party lens manufacturers for two reasons: easier to design (lowering costs) and easy to maintain as they are kept abreast of any changes to the specification enduring long term customer satisfaction.

Sigma didn't offer any EF M lenses until way past critical mass (the M50 is a bestseller) and the z series isn't even close to that. For now, I suspect Sigma is more than satisfied with supporting its current line of mounts and any Z mounts are probably a long way off unless Nikon opens its specifications and works out some agreement with Sigma. "

I founf it in this discussion thread : when will Sigma offer Z- mount lenses ?: Third Party Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

• Like 1

For my use the Z50 doesn't seem to the better camera for "landscapes, travel and family photos". Nikon Z's is more geared to full frame. Z50; for snapshots fine but if one wanted some dedicated wide fast lenses for low light say, a evening night market, or a evening walk after dinner outside it's not so much a rounded product.

I use my Z50 mostly with my Nikon AF-S 200-500, for birds and other creatures. But with just the kit 16-50 lens and my old AF-S VR DX 55-200 F4.5-5.6, it's a pretty versatile arrangement. Add my old Tokina AF 12-24mm F4 and It meets my needs just fine, though the Tokina does add a lot to the size/weight. Not the ideal landscape camera, but I can shoot landscapes all day and not feel ill-equipped.

Tamron have already announced that they will make native Z-mount lenses. I think Sigma will follow. They just need to see enough people adopt the Z system so that it's worthwhile their effort. However, because the third-party manufacturers will all design the lenses to fit all full-frame mirrorless systems, they won't be able to take advantage of the Z mount's shorter flange distance and wider diameter, so this gives Nikon an advantage against the third-party makers.

For my use the Z50 doesn't seem to the better camera for "landscapes, travel and family photos". Nikon Z's is more geared to full frame. Z50; for snapshots fine but if one wanted some dedicated wide fast lenses for low light say, a evening night market, or a evening walk after dinner outside it's not so much a rounded product.

Well, for landscape, I don't like ultrawide angle lenses and 16-50 on DX would be quite good, combined possibly with a telezoom (which they also already have). The 16-50mm collapses to such a tiny package that the camera and lens would fit into a single lens slot of my bag. I would think it would be very appealing for landscape photos (and wildlife) while minimizing cost and weight.

As for travel, it depends on what kind of travel photos one takes: e.g. if landscape and architecture in daylight or with tripod, I think the 16-50 would work fine. It would fit on a belt pouch as well and no need for a dedicated camera bag. If shooting late evening available light photos of people, then that is a different matter, but e.g. the Z mount's own f/1.8 primes and the upcoming compact primes would likely fit these applications. There is a 20/1.8 which is wide enough for environmental photos of people on DX.

I have the Z 7 but needed something more compact, for long distance bicycling and hiking. The Z 50 fits into my hydration pack pack with little noticeable weight. It also has the same menu system as it’s FX brother’s which is a plus for me.

The Z 50 is a compromise, but I’m delighted with this camera.

If shooting late evening available light photos of people, then that is a different matter, but e.g. the Z mount's own f/1.8 primes and the upcoming compact primes would likely fit these applications. There is a 20/1.8 which is wide enough for environmental photos of people on DX.

Yeah with phones now improving now, maybe low light is an area they are not quite there yet. For casual travel type shots low light after dinner, with the touristy casual night markets, light shows, food markets, festival markets etc etc ... Handheld. There are the 20mm and the 24mm FX Z primes but again, it is the position of paying for a full frame lenses and carrying a full frame lens if they only will ever use it on a Z50. Many might want a Z50 for a smaller size and here we are trying to use it with a full frame lens.

Many use both full frame and DX and are sharing lenses that work on both. Also, if you buy into a lot of DX lenses (e.g. Fuji) then it becomes more difficult to move to or include full frame in your system as you have to buy a separate set of lenses.

It doesn't seem realistic for Nikon to make a lot of DX-specific lenses when the volume of camera sales has drastically declined to the point where the less expensive equipment is no longer selling in the volumes that made it previously profitable and it is necessary for manufacturers to focus on higher-end, more expensive gear. I still think the Z50 is an important camera as it helps people afford the entry into the system and it's unusual for being such a small camera with such good ergonomics. However, I think the broader lens system will have FX coverage, for better or worse.

Earlier when using film-era short focal length primes on DX DSLRs I was not happy with the results as the lenses were flaring and ghosting more than necessary and the focus accuracy was also not great. However, lens optics and coatings have improved as have the autofocus motors, so now it should be possible to get good results with DX Z camera and FX Z prime. Also Nikon included 28mm and 40mm compact primes in the roadmap, so the lenses are not necessarily big or expensive, although they have FX coverage.

Edited by ilkka_nissila

With the lockdown I have been thinking and also looking at my film scans. I don't plan to pay for drum scanning and with a flatbed for 120 format, film isn't as clinical or sharp as digital, nor with APS-C. How long is the piece of string ... When I go back to my shots, nearly always it doesn't matter if the camera was a full frame or not, I've even used kit lenses that was v good in daylight. It's reached the point that does it matter if it is full frame or not, does it matter if one doesn't even own a full frame camera? Some professionals get the job done and that is it right without thinking so much about the gear and what is the absolute best. I've also heard the advice of dust spotting to 50% view magnification, if one is not going to end up printing it why the need to go the full way ......

For myself and some others, at the end of the day they are just images shared online or printed out at a modest size and that is right. Most are also prob just fun and hobby rather than a dedicated trip out just for photography and then printed at a A2 size and beyond .....

• Like 1

I just looked on the Nikon USA site, and Nikon lists only TWO Z-DX lenses. 16-50 and 50-250. If that is all you need, then you are OK.

Beyond that it is either F mount lens via the FTZ or Z-FX lens w/o stabilization.

So again, DX is a stepchild.

Granted it is hard to spool up both DX and FX mirrorless systems at the same time. But only TWO lenses !!!

They have more Z-DX lens on the roadmap, but when will they be released?

What is sad is the Canon M50 APS-C mirrorless, has more lenses.

But, the con is that the M50 cannot use the R lenses. Because the M50 has a different mount than the R cameras.

The only Canon lenses the M50 can use are the EF/EF-S lenses via an adapter.

Tamron have already announced that they will make native Z-mount lenses. I think Sigma will follow. They just need to see enough people adopt the Z system so that it's worthwhile their effort. However, because the third-party manufacturers will all design the lenses to fit all full-frame mirrorless systems, they won't be able to take advantage of the Z mount's shorter flange distance and wider diameter, so this gives Nikon an advantage against the third-party makers.

The problem that I see is how Nikon configured the Z50 vs the Z6/7.

The FX Z6/7 have IBIS, so the lenses do not have to have VR.

The DX Z50 does NOT have IBIS, so the long lenses have to have VR.

So to work on both FX and DX systems, the independent lenses have to have VR/IS.

I just looked on the Nikon USA site, and Nikon lists only TWO Z-DX lenses. 16-50 and 50-250. If that is all you need, then you are OK.

Pretty much with the Nikon DX cameras right ...

FWIW today, I went and played tourist in my own town, we are out of lockdown. I did the cable car and a walk around the garden and into the city. I had with me my Nikon D600, 18-35 and my 70-200 f4. I am large a scape photographer. I used to have a 80-200 f2.8 so I know what it is like. I think that certain companies focus on full frame because that is where the money is and that is all they can manage.

A lot of that casual shooter market have gone with phones, and those that still want a dedicated camera maybe that market isn't large enough. The ones that might wanna downsize are those maybe who demand a good kit of fast lenses f2.8 zooms and they outside for extended times like travel, street, documentary so they are not the ones that goes out for an hour or two and call it a day. Like I know a person who goes to Myanmar and does documentary and street photography, he went from a full frame Canon with 3 L f.2.8 zooms to a M4/3 set-up. Some of full frame customers are those who use FF at home but when they are on holiday they downsize it to a manageable size like 2 relatively compact lenses or 2 primes or maybe 1 kit lens and 1 f1.8 prime lens that means they can shoot FF on holiday. They of them might be unlikely to want to cart 3x f2.8 lenses on travel outside 10hrs a day and do it with full frame and juggling the partner, kids maybe the in-laws.

The problem that I see is how Nikon configured the Z50 vs the Z6/7.

The FX Z6/7 have IBIS, so the lenses do not have to have VR.

The DX Z50 does NOT have IBIS, so the long lenses have to have VR.

So to work on both FX and DX systems, the independent lenses have to have VR/IS.

Or, you can use a tripod for slow speeds and fast shutter speeds for hand-held work, as has been done for decades before.

• Like 2