"Hot" Topic - Iconic Photo

kmac

Maybe a char stained hand on the trunk is a place to start.

Firemens’ faces at a gathering spot after the work....

Good suggestions Moving On, but I'd have trouble arranging those because the fires have gone through and fire crews have gone elsewhere in the State to fight fires. However, the idea of including a human presence in the shots is something I'll keep in mind

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree on the ethanol scam. Every gallon has to be distributed with a truck as opposed to pipelines.

Most environmentalists who are in a position to set or influence policy work the system for personal monetary gain.

Plastic bags supplanted paper to save trees.

Marijuana promoted as healthy medicine, tobacco and vaping shunned.

Compact fluorescents supplanted a simple filament with mercury and phosphorous.

Water in plastic bottles supplanted soda in glass bottles.

Electric cars charged with fossil fuel.

Musk’s car dumped in orbit for a commercial photo op.

Satellite pollution so “everyone can have high speed internet anywhere on the planet.

Carbon credits traded among the jet setters.

Promotion of global travel as a regular hobby.

Feed the world with vegetables exclusively irrespective of water and forests.

The best course I see is to live conservatively.

The best course I see is to live conservatively.

My preference is to live progressively while conserving the environment.

I reuse bags, mostly paper since plastic ones are now rare in CA.

I don’t smoke pot or tobacco and don’t vape.

I like LED lights but mostly use daylight when I can.

I drink water mostly from the tap. San Francisco’s water tests regularly well. I feel badly for Michiganders.

I take public transportation most of the time.

I enjoy high speed Internet and am far from perfect.

I eat organic vegetables for my own health. Little meat and dairy.

I try not to be cynical, but fall prey now and then.

Edited by samstevens

"You talkin' to me?"

I don’t know why “concerted” would be a rub. It’s due to concerted effort, for example, that San Francisco has an efficient Metro system that makes it practical and expedient to use public transportation. It’s through the 10 cents a bag policy that many of us were made a little more aware of how easy it is to recycle bags. I learned of the dangers of tobacco because I did research made available to the public through concerted efforts like those of the American Cancer Society who did outreach to us as kids in NYC schools. “Concerted” means “in concert”, with others, and suggests “determined.” No rub.

"You talkin' to me?"

We've gone from one extreme to another down here, first hell on earth from widespread wildfires, then getting flooded out with torrential rain in the past week. The farmers are overjoyed, water catchments replenished, and the politicians are temporarily off the hook.

The weather is fine at present and if it stays that way I'll make a concerted effort to get out and about to grab some "iconic" snap shots. Speaking of iconic snap shots, my all time favorite is "Lunch atop a skyscraper" - what a photo ! There were two photographers, Charles C. Ebbets, Thomas Kelley and William Leftwich, but no one knows which one took the shot. Perhaps they considered themselves as a team, anxious to get some shots then get their feet back down on the ground.

Link .... How A Photo Of A Lunch Break Came To Symbolize Ambition .... hope the link works. If it does, scroll down for the story about it

The image puts fear into you, but it shows how man can adapt to dangerous work situations. I can relate to that, though I wasn't so high up but still dangerous and precarious, assisting to change the length of the greasy telescopic boom on one of those gigantic drag lines at a dam building site while the drag line was in situ. Once was enough for me.

The workers in the photo seem nonchalant about having lunch there, which is portrayed well at that great height above the safety of the ground. Who wouldn't be pleased with themselves getting a shot like that ? It had everything going for it, and still has.