used my normal processing technique (4 minutes in each Diafine bath, 1

minute water stop bath, 5 minutes fix in Lauder acid hardening fixer,

4 minutes wash, 1 minute in Heico Perma-Wash, 4 minutes second wash

and 1 minute in Agfa Sistan).

The resulting negatives have a strong purple tint, similar to the one

Fuji negatives have before washing away the dye in Perma-wash. I have

never had this problem with the old Tri-X. Am I doing something wrong

or is it just another sign to write off Kodak altogether and abandon

Tri-X after supplies of the old emulsion have run out?

That's true, Stephen. It is partly because it is happening for the first time to many of us who have been developing film for decades. I considered myself exempt from the problem because of my care and fresh fixer etc, but lo and behold, it has just happened to me too.

My usual fresh Agfa FX-Universal didn't seem to get the dye out after prolonged fixing. In desperation I used some Ilford ultra-hi-odour Rapid Fixer and it did seem to move it a bit, but very prolonged washing eventually did the trick.

Maybe the type of developer or the length of development has something to do with the persistence of the stain. My problem occured when using Xtol, which I don't usually use.

I've used the T's since they came out. For all the variables in all the miles I've used Sprint fixer, diluted as specified for five minutes with occasional agitation and had only two surprises. The first was the first roll when I was smarter than Kodak and refused to heed their advice and the second was with mildly exhausted ( and it happens fast) fixer.

• 2 weeks later...
The purple tint seems inconsistent. I developed 2 rolls of tri-x in D76 1:1 and went though my normal fixing procedure. The negs had no purple tint. I then ran a couple more rolls though with normal fixing and they were purple. I ran a couple more rolls though with 1.5 minutes of extra fix and they were still purple.. this time with fresh fix. So why was I able to have no purple tint one time but not others?