Lens description

Erik-Christensen

Well, that was a waste of time. I think I've concluded that the AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G was the first G lens, and I was trying to find a press release that might say something - but it's from 2000, and the Nikon web site stops offering press announcements at 2003. (I've not tried archive.org.) There isn't a 1001 nights entry either.

Could just be alphabetical, as Sanford says, but Nikon has been perfectly happy to use ED, E lens and E aperture, or S-mount, AI-S, AF-S, S-line, so they're not averse to alphabet reuse. One of Nikon's pages describes G as "electronic aperture", which goes to show how much attention they're paying!

Perhaps its not the first letter of an English word. Nikon’s lettering scheme has occasional utility such as D for distance, if that was actually the intent, and is certainly not linear and with no clear understanding of the logic for lettering. Perhaps Nikon can answer this. Welcome back Andrew. I have not seen a post from you in a while and your comments are always polite, well thought out and worth the read. Excuse me now while I traipse off into the woods to go work on my iPhone fine art portfolio. I’m abandoning Nikon.

Thanks, 2Oceans - I'll try not to lower the standard! I'm ashamed to admit that I took more photos yesterday in the sunlight (including of a robin) with my phone than I have this Christmas with my Nikon. I'll try to get something into Nikon Wednesday before the year is through! Enjoy your iPhone (now I've left Samsung I can say that with a clear conscience!)

Genesis . . . Did anybody else watch Preacher?

I wondered if it was because someone was a fan of Phil Collins (or Mike and the Mechanics). At least if it's nothing to do with that Terminator film that can't spell.

(Preacher is on my to watch list. I've enjoyed the Exorcist series, Lucifer, and - more or less - Dominion, so there's a good chance I'll enjoy it.)

And I thought you have switched to Sony.

I go quiet for a couple of months (sorry/your welcome, delete as appropriate) and you doubt my loyalty? :) Not yet, at least.

The A7RIV, like the Z7, can't do 9fps 14-bit raw with AF and metering at full resolution. The D850 can. Plus switching would be very expensive. I've even expanded my system - my 35mm and 50mm Sigmas got swapped for the 40mm, and I have a new 25mm Laowa for Christmas. Saving for actual Nikon glass I'd like (19mm T/S, 500mm f/5.6, 400 f/2.8, 800 f/5.6 of anyone wins the lottery) may take longer.

I may buy a Sony sooner rather than later, but that's because I think my RX100 may no longer be charging and need a replacement that isn't my Coolpix A.

Sanford: Alpha, obviously. (Maybe Nikon DO want people to switch to Sony.)

If I 'need' 50mm I just crop, if I really need 35mm, I do a 2 frame portrait pano.

Get a zoom lens folks. Problem solved. :D

G=Good (I prefer this one - since I don't think they meant "Glare" or "Ghostly" or "Gimmicky" or Glitch or Gloom... or, worse, "Garbage") :p

• Like 2

...and non of them available is remotely sharp enough....:cool:

A quality zoom is surely sharp enough.

Borrow or hire the 40mm 1.4 and try it. You'll love it. It is a bit big and heavy to lug around though...:)

I surely believe it's heavy. I have the Sigma 20mm f/1.4. If it's not for the 1.4, I'd rather not lug it around. A zoom works better but for the 1.4. :(

Edited by Mary Doo
  • Like 1