D7000 spot metering

royall_berndt

So tell us the story...;)

Why would you want to replace a fossil, with, err, the same fossil?

I should point out that the OP has no obligation to explain to anybody why he still likes the D7000. I have not sold my D7000 either. There are definitely newer cameras, but D7000 can still do a good job today.

• Like 1

I had to recombine your suggestions to come up with a combination that worked. On my camera, the button surrounded by the C/M autofocus lever must be pressed to bring focus boxes up on the viewfinder screen. To move the cursor, I had to use the wheel-like control on the front of the camera close to the shutter. My former D7000 didn't work this way. I suppose Nikon made incremental changes as they kept producing the camera

That said, I had found that the D7000 did everything I needed, and had picture quality adequate to my uses. This new example of the camera is really minty, in great cosmetic shape,and with a low shutter count. I imagine it will last me the rest of my life (I am 75 now!)

• Like 1

I don't have a D7000, but have a camera heavily based on it(the D600). What you describe isn't normal behavior. The "game pad" controller, as long as it's not in the L position, should move the focus point around. This has been a constant of Nikon SLR operation from the F5 up through the most current DSLRs.

I would try doing a 2-button reset and seeing if that gets things operating as you would expect. If not, I would be looking for a refund/replacement.

• Like 1

To move the cursor, I had to use the wheel-like control on the front of the camera close to the shutter

I'm not even sure that's possible, is it?

On my camera, the button surrounded by the C/M autofocus lever must be pressed to bring focus boxes up on the viewfinder screen

I'm not sure what the C/M autofocus lever is either?

I'm with Ben here....Time for a 2-button reset. Press and hold the 2 buttons with green dots next to them, namely +/- Exposure compensation button (just behind the shutter button) and the + magnifying glass button (bottom left on the back) for 10 seconds. That ought to reset any weird settings.

Here is an image of the back side of my D7000.

Please make sure that the little lever for locking the multi-selection pad is set to the unlock position, i.e. pointing to the dot instead of the L position, as shown in the image below. As long as the multi-selection pad is unlocked, pressing on the center OK button will set the AF point to the very center position.

D7000_back_1858.thumb.jpg.658b789dda03921960807e7ca279753f.jpg

I've never seriously used a D7000, and admit that I'd not paid attention to the lock switch location. That location-to my eye-is certainly unusual as both the D300 and earlier era camera and the later ones had it as a "collar" around the pad.

I've always been under the impression that the D600 was basically a full frame D7000-it seems I was wrong in that, and the control.button layout on it is a lot more like the D7100 than the 7000.

Keep in mind that Nikon introduced the D7000 in 2010. It was the first camera that uses the EN-EL15 battery and has dual SD card slots. That was when I started buying SD cards.

Nikon's user interface continued to evolve after that. E.g. the video capture button with the red dot in the center was moved to the top, next to the shutter release. Cameras introduced in 2012 such as the D4, D800, and D600 have that change.

In any case, hopefully it is all clear enough for the OP.