"One of the most iconic photos of American workers is not what it seems"

One of the most iconic photos of American workers is not what it seems

Good lesson: A lot of photos are not what they seem.

“We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth.” —Pablo Picasso

When generations look at that photo, they won’t much think of what staging may or may not have gone into it or whether it was a publicity shot or not. They will think of the Truths it does tell, the era it recalls, and the strength of men working together to build something.

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

Good lesson: A lot of photos are not what they seem.

“We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth.” —Pablo Picasso

When generations look at that photo, they won’t much think of what staging may or may not have gone into it or whether it was a publicity shot or not. They will think of the Truths it does tell, the era it recalls, and the strength of men working together to build something.

Kind of opens up a whole new discussion about what is (tolerable) manipulation or not? In reality, the photographer just asking the model to smile, is a kind of manipulation, right?

Edited by philip_carlo_jorgensen

Here's a link to one of Henri Silberman's b&w images, it's of yje Flatiron Building, also in New York City. I'll leave it up to you whether you consider the image iconic.

Link: https://www.henrisilberman.com/IN-BLACK-&-WHITE/NYC/24

I think my Flatiron Bldg shot is iconic too. ;)

6656958781_03de9d164a_z.jpgFlatiron Building NYC by Alan Klein, on Flickr

Actually, many "iconic" photographs are not what they seem.

Some Brady photographers not only moved the occasional musket, but sometimes the whole dead body.

There's dispute about some of Fenton's images from the Crimea.

FSA photographers lugged cow skulls around and others touched out an awkwardly placed hand.

There is no decade in the history of photography without one kind or another of manipulation

Even I, myself, have been known to erase the stray cigarette butt or the sometimes ex-spouse:eek:

• Like 1