Film Camera Week for August 2

Ok so some Tri-x and some Microphen was delivered Friday. And my local camera store had their rummage sale today. A lot of junk cameras but then hidden in the mess I found a Nikkormat FT2 in rather decent condition. Camera functions seemed ok, mirror, prism and viewfinder were acceptably clean. Looked at the bottom and the price was $10. Then they had a boxes of filters. Was suppose to be 5 for $20 (52mm) but the guy just charged me $5 for the 5 I chose. Get this 4 B+W's and 2 of them clear MRC 1x. The last was a Nikon L37.

I shot a roll of tri-x in the new camera around the backyard. Ok I am really liking the Tri-x in Microphen. I used this comb years ago and somehow got away from it. Great combination of fine grain and speed if that is possible. Lens used was a Nikon 35mm 2.5 series E.

Untitled-13-trix-microphen-copy.jpg.81849ffb02373d20dd71f968698cba6f.jpg Untitled-11-trix-microphen-copy.jpg.c6bd747db120b656d7f72a313f54117e.jpg

Untitled-14-trix-microphen-copy.jpg.5f679c2ebbce8c8a5f6fe842e5feb46f.jpg

Untitled-12-trix-microphen-copy.thumb.jpg.23824430da22c880b0db83198f84eadd.jpg

Edited by mjferron
  • Like 5

Nice work with the Yashica, Rick. The 230 AF, like the Olympus OM77 AF that I posted some shots from last week, were competition to the Maxxums. The 230 AF, though, allows manual settings that the OM77 doesn't have. I think the 230 is a very capable camera and a good choice for anyone wanting one of the earlier AF SLR's. I think during that time Yashica offered a 1.6X AF teleconverter that allowed manual focus Y/C mount lenses to autofocus if the maximum aperture was f 4 or faster.

Thanks Mike. Yes, the Maxxum 7000 and the Yashica are very similar cameras; I find them both a little clunky to hold and use but both are capable of good results. You're right about the tele-converter that permits the use of manual focus lens, but they seem to be a very rare item.

Nice quality from the Nikkormat, mjferron. When I started out many years ago as a young photographer, the smallest format we used was 5x4, and Tri-X 400 developed in deep tanks of Microphen was our standard procedure. The rule was to over-expose slightly and under-develop slightly, and this technique produced beautiful full-toned negatives.

Nice quality from the Nikkormat, mjferron. When I started out many years ago as a young photographer, the smallest format we used was 5x4, and Tri-X 400 developed in deep tanks of Microphen was our standard procedure. The rule was to over-expose slightly and under-develop slightly, and this technique produced beautiful full-toned negatives.

Thanks Rick. I do have a 4x5 that gets little use but now I am thinking I should pick up a box of Tri-X for it and see how that works using the Microphen,

Microphen is good at minimizing fog with outdated film. The other one that I know of is HC110. I never tried Microphen with Tri-X but I tried it with Ilford HP5+ (rated at E.I. 800) and FP4+ rated at E.I. 200. I tried this combination long before I had a scanner but if I can find some of the negatives I'll post some scans. As I recall I got especially good results with the HP5+.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to directly upload any format except 35mm...I have to convert it by uploading to Flickr first. I think my age is showing my technical incapabilities.

Anyway, here are some Pentax 645N with 75mm SMC A LS, Tri-X, Diafine.

48456042247_23d7a74ebd_k.jpgpet relief area sjc

48455887491_9e0d4b2a69_k.jpgalone

48455884906_1f43b95944_k.jpgbar of light

48455882876_619e87f2eb_k.jpgshadows of AM

• Like 5

"It's not what you look at that matters. It's what you see."

-Henry David Thoreau

Bert

Dr. Bertrand's Patient Stories: A podcast dedicated to stories of being. \\anchor.fm/bertrand0

FineArtAmerica: https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/bertrand-liang

bertliang said

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to directly upload any format except 35mm...I have to convert it by uploading to Flickr first. I think my age is showing my technical incapabilities.

Bert, here's the procedure I use for uploading a series of images to Photonet.

A) Create a folder in your computer with an appropriate title, eg. "Pnet August 5", and copy the images you want to use into it.

B) Open the images in whatever program you use for manipulating images, (I use the very handy Fastone Image Viewer) and resize the images. I use a nominal 300dpi with a maximum height of 850 pixels for vertical images, or 1000 pixels for horizontal images. Keep the folder open.

C) Open the thread in Photonet and hit the "More Options" button in the reply box. Drag and drop the first image from your folder into the text area, and then select "Full Image " from the options next to the thumbnail that will have appeared.

D) Drag and drop another image. The cursor will be at the base of the first image, so you can use the keyboard to shift it downwards to provide a space between images or insert a title, and select "Full Image" for the second image. Remember, the position of the image will always follow the position of the cursor. Repeat this procedure for as many images as you want to upload.

E) To finish, scroll up and down through the images to check spacing, titles etc. The cursor an be inserted to make corrections to spacing, if necessary. Then hit the "Reply to Thread" button.

I hope this is of some help.

Edited by rick_drawbridge
  • Like 1

I've just acquired a Yashica-12, a camera I consider one of the prettiest in the long line of Yashica TLR cameras, and also one of the best-built. While I'll have to take it apart a little to give it a thorough clean, I took it out to test the 80mm Yashinon f/3.5 lens and the general mechanical condition. The camera passed with flying colours; dare I say it, but the results would give my Rolleiflex Automat a run for it's money. I'll post something on the camera when renovations are complete, but here are a couple of samples. The film was Arista EDU Ultra 100 developed in PMK Pyro.

Isuzu

Isuzu.thumb.jpg.fc7b480d69674f3161637a867d746548.jpg

Structures #2

1302543178_Structures2.thumb.jpg.08975d5152bc8e480992956b54f92ac4.jpg

• Like 5

I've just acquired a Yashica-12, a camera I consider one of the prettiest in the long line of Yashica TLR cameras, and also one of the best-built.

Rick I have a "no letter, number designation" , plain Jane Yashicamat that was made in 1957 according to the serial #. Very similar looking to yours but no "eye" at the top of the finder like the 12. It has the Yashinon lens and the all metal build is likewise impressive. Even the film advance seems solid and sure. Congrats on your new find.

mjferron said :[ATTACH=full]1305960[/ATTACH]

Thanks! I've not had a lot to do with Yashica TLR's, having used mainly Mamiya's and the occasional Rolleiflex, but I'm certainly impressed by the Yashica-12, so far. Even the light meter works and is surprisingly accurate.

What? No Autocord :)

I was shocked at the photos I got when I first bought mine, even compared to the Hassleblad I was using at the time..

562926117_AutocordCDSXP2HC110pipe.thumb.jpg.3f222c6490b03bfc8a20aebd9d99fd86.jpg

607661217_AutocordexpiredDelta100churchsteeple.thumb.jpg.3e1c401f05d8678076aa514b00d77e0e.jpg

1971926040_AutocordexpiredDelta100SanJosebuilding.thumb.jpg.4fdf817761dc2f85fe16836969619a31.jpg

• Like 4