Roger Cicala does one for the fanboys (sorta)

What a stagnant site like PN needs is a bit more character and a bit more imagination, and I for one happen to possess and be possessed by both in spades if I may say so myself.

Not the nouns your posts suggested.

Maybe I'll go ahead and go create just that kind of photography site instead of whining about it here.

Please.

There are plenty of us on this site who are scientists or otherwise technically minded and enjoy geeking out over some of this stuff. Frankly, I don't understand why some posters in this thread(and other threads) like Phil S and Ludmilla seem to want to take shots at the people who enjoy doing that.
  • Like 1

Okay, maybe

Eh? My only comment was questioning whether the quality of some lenses varied so much.

Okay, perhaps not in this thread...

But you are constantly critical of things like people who post long-winded answers to questions or even technical discussions of technique to photograph certain items-basically I sense a general disdain from you of anything that doesn't fit photography EXACTLY as you see it...

As for my occasional reaction to long-winded(your definition) posts don’t you think those posters are fair game?

No, they're not fair game. Just because YOU don't see value in them(as the tone of your since-deleted post seems to make abundantly clear doesn't mean that others don't. I seem to recall a disdain for members who you perceive as older in that same comment.

As for my occasional reaction to long-winded(your definition) posts don’t you think those posters are fair game?

No, not IMHO. This is in theory a forum in which people trade ideas and help each other learn, not a place for people to score points against each other.

I follow this forum only intermittently. I follow it because there are people here who know things I don't and from whom I can learn, and there are occasionally people whom I can help. I returned to this forum recently, and I was really disappointed by the tone of many threads. I won't name names, but there are people whose posts suggest that they enjoy arguments for arguments' sake, and it's fairly common for posters to insult each other with little or no reason. One person who participated in a few threads I followed recently was so foul-mouthed and nasty that he would have been banned from one other forum I follow.

Like it or not, digital photography is a technical medium, and some people are interested in learning about the technical aspects. If you aren't, just skip those posts.

• Like 2

It takes all sorts to make a world, paddler. This is a public forum and you are going to meet allsorts-is that not of a interest to you? Or, just those of like minds?

Ignore, what you are not comfortable with and enjoy the rest. Simple. And yes, folks who enjoy the technical aspects, just enjoy.

The real world is not about kiss and cuddles, and neither is photography or art. Look further.

I’m not sure if either Ben or paddler4 know what long-winded means so here’s the definition

long-winded ADJ

1 tiresomely long

2 capable of energetic activity without becoming short of breath > ˌlong-’windedly ADV > ˌlong-’windedness N

And guess what well respected moderator of the Nikon forum said this recently

I rest my case.

I don't see any case for you to rest...perhaps I lack the intelligence to understand the pseudo-intellectualism that I often perceive. The fact remains that you are quite often patronizingly critical of things that you really seem to have no understanding of. I can't cite specific examples because the posts were deleted, but none the less you seem to show a general dislike of technical discussions and also people giving in-depth answers. There again, the moderators have cleaned up evidence I could point to so as to support this statement.

Whatever the case, from my perspective it's tiresome.

Of course, it’s easier to talk about cameras and lenses and sensors and pixels and bleeping MTF charts than about the motivations of the ones behind the camera or why you made the picture in the first place.

No, it's often not. I can easily explain why I took photos, but figuring out why processing didn't work as I wanted, or what some alternative ways of taking or processing the photo might be, can be complicated.

In any case, it is a pointless argument. People who aren't interested in one side or the other can skip those posts. I personally don't care a whit what the balance is. What bothered me is tone. I'm watching this site to learn and, occasionally, to explain. Insults and gratuitous arguments don't help. Neither do postings like this one:

F$ck all this bullshit wannabe geekery circle jerk off nonsense

I guess I'm an expressionist.

yes, that kind of vulgar garbage certainly places you in the same category as Berthold Brecht and D. H. Lawrence.

First, I’m not responsible for your faux outrage. You are.

I doubt it's faux, but that is for Ben to say. In either event, you are responsible because it's your behavior.

This is simply trolling. Best response is to ignore it. Responding just reinforces it. Given how many people frequent this site because they are interested in photography, it's a shame the moderators allow this to continue.

None of this actually matters now. Site traffic cratered long ago. Back in the day, Greenspun and the Mods locked this and other rudderless threads, outed trolls and voted them off the site for high-sticking. "No photographic objective" was the usual grounds for deleting OT posts. It worked. Too much behavior on PN now that one could find in DSM V's collected personality disorders.