To Crop or Not to Crop. That is the question.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve gotten some good points from this discussion. Cropping is not a cop out for sub-par photos, but simply a tool to help the artist tell a story, whether it’s done pre or post shutter release. Edited by William Michael
  • Like 1

I’ve just realised that one hang up I have about cropping is cropping to non-standard aspect ratios (unconstrained). I should’ve cropped out the foreground in the photo I posted in the Turrets thread. Never mind, live and learn.

Cropping need not be constrained to a Quadrilateral. Circles and Ellipses used to be more commonly used: I've seen Hexagonal Cropping used too - but then again retro 'hideous' coloured frames used to be popular, too: eventually fashions will return.

WW

• Like 1

In a world of 6 and 12 MP Nikons, I was loathe to discard a single pixel. That's less of an issue now that most cameras have 24 MP and up, but I probably don't drop as much as I should, and seldom for artistic reasons. High quality zoom lenses and 100% accurate viewfinders make it easy to "crop in the viewfinder". Grunt work cropping includes the following...

• To fit a specific format for framing, like 8x10, 11x14, etc.
  • Pursuant to correcting a tilted horizon or principal vertical line
  • Straightening the borders of a stitched panorama
  • Correcting perspective in vertical lines
  • Removing distracting elements

Cropping for any reason is probably permissible under journalistic guidelines, but cloning out (or in) elements is generally forbidden. There have been several notorious violations, to rules which rrequire the submission of in-camera JPEG images. Apparently someone found a way to alter RAW files, or more likely submitted altered JPEG files.