Film Camera Week for May 24

Great shots and excellent colour from that Portra, Bradleycloven. I took a walk this afternoon with a load of Ilford FP4 Plus, the first cut of a new reel, just to make sure that it was the usual high quality. It's consistently flawless and I'm pleased to relate that this batch is the same good old FP4. I used my current favourite kit, the Yashica 230AF fitted with the Yashica/Kyocera AF 28-85 mm f/3.5-4.5 Macro lens. I'll post some samples; the film was developed in PMK Pyro and scanned on a Epson Perfection V700 using Silverfast SE software.

A Fence, a Shed and a Cloud

1159384325_Afenceacloudandashed.thumb.jpg.2ba6e66a5ec1cd41f64561c813bbb531.jpg

Lightshow

Lightshow.thumb.jpg.1f3b39a58a3f931a75242419f2d9e94d.jpg

Benches

Benches.thumb.jpg.b4832fa3da726cb2c8eecf2177881e27.jpg

Mens

Mens.thumb.jpg.f95e961a5ba6850ae78fdeec3c6bd00e.jpg

Traffic Management

1499645903_TrafficManagement.thumb.jpg.ce9bc5e7154c7197c3799b4d0f04c8af.jpg

• Like 5

The Yashica 230 AF at first glance seemed to enter the AF SLR market with features typical of other AF SLR's of that time, but the trap focus feature made it unique. One could preset the focus in that mode and when an object (wildlife) entered the field of view it would trip the shutter. I don't know how well it worked, but it looked good on paper. I think Pentax also offered a similar feature on one of its cameras, but I'm not sure who was first. Also interesting a C/Y to Yashica AF teleconverter was available that allowed some limited AF capabilities from the manual focus C/Y mount.

The Yashica 230 AF at first glance seemed to enter the AF SLR market with features typical of other AF SLR's of that time, but the trap focus feature made it unique. One could preset the focus in that mode and when an object (wildlife) entered the field of view it would trip the shutter. I don't know how well it worked, but it looked good on paper. I think Pentax also offered a similar feature on one of its cameras, but I'm not sure who was first. Also interesting a C/Y to Yashica AF teleconverter was available that allowed some limited AF capabilities from the manual focus C/Y mount.

Since Mike has provided some details of the Yashica 230AF, I'll flesh things out with a pic of the camera, wearing the detachable flash which slides neatly over the hotshoe. In my case, this lives in the camera bag rather than on the camera. I've tried the "Trap Focus" mode and can confirm that it works just fine, though I've yet to find a use for it. The teleconverter that allows the use of C/Y lenses is rare and expensive, and extends the focal length of the C/Y lenses by 1.6, and it's not on my watch list.

Overall, the design and operation of the camera appears to owe a lot to the slightly earlier Minolta 7000AF, with a hint of the Canon T70 styling. The lenses, though limited in range with their unique mount, are truly excellent, and I'm tempted to buy the rather pricey adapter that would permit their manual use on my Sony digital cameras.

Yashica 230AF

1616210184_Yashica230AFPnet.thumb.jpg.c78b065923a6276e97c8d228aefdadaa.jpg

• Like 1

I recall when Yashica released this.. and I thought they were playing catch-up to the other AF stable mates. I'm pleased to know that their lenses were plus ultra...fitting with their Tomioka and (cough cough ) Zeiss heritage. In any case obviously no slacker or cheapness involved. You do seem to get the most out of your equipment Rick.

MT190524.jpg

MT190531.jpg

Couple more from Militracks 2019

Argus Model K, 5cm f/4.5 Anastigmat, Fomapan 100

So I guess I didn't fix all the light leaks in the Model K. And it looks like either the Shutter is slow, or the Aperture control is off as most of the shots are around 2 stops over-exposed.

• Like 4

Several weekends ago I was running around the Eastern Wa. wheat lands with my Ercona II 6x9. Side by side was my Bessa I, 1109999369_2k19-057C-011ces13r9kbcbm.jpg.3735e34268888f80453470998e46ff65.jpg but with 400asa Delta material vrs my "standard" UFX100. The 100 material turned out velvet smooth with the Pyrocat HDC, but the Delta has produced "messy" grain & outrageous contrast ! Some problems to solve with the Delta, but prints are not all that bad. Here is one of the Delta frames. Enjoy, Bill
  • Like 5