Portfolio or not

Recent discussions emphasised a question I've had since I joined. It's all well and good to see one photograph posted in a thread but a portfolio shows a body of work. A story . Or at least one's vision. Their point of view.

When I decided to join here the admission required that I upload 4 photos, if I remember correctly (that was a month ago :cool: ) So I did and have since added more.

So what I am looking for is opinions or reasons why so many people don't have portfolios on this site. I am probably opening a can of worms here but I just don't understand why someone would take the time to remove their required (to join) portfolio and then not want to show anything. Not even one favorite photo ...... Dont we all have a favorite photo.... The single photos I post in No Words or other threads don't necessarily have anything to do with my normal work.

Just curious . Whats right for one person isnt always right for another. But I just can't see a reason not to show any work that represents the person as a photographer on a photography forum.

In need of enlightenment

Thanks

Keep it friendly!!

( This is not directed and anyone in particular . Many folks here do not have any representation !!!!! )

It is like that on many forums and sites. I don't bother to upload photos too much since I have numerous websites and am low on time. I got into small gauge film (preservation) and that really eats up the time. When I started knew nothing about motion picture film or video conversion. After a couple years I know a smidgen.

Here is the first film I did. (Commercial scan) Now starting to do my own scans. If I hit the lotto I will buy a Lasergraphics film scanner. (Setup fee is $7,500 alone.)

The other problem is my photos are not mainstream and I get into trouble.

• Like 2

It is like that on many forums and sites. I don't bother to upload photos too much since I have numerous websites and am low on time. I got into small gauge film (preservation) and that really eats up the time. When I started knew nothing about motion picture film or video conversion. After a couple years I know a smidgen.

Here is the first film I did. (Commercial scan) Now starting to do my own scans. If I hit the lotto I will buy a Lasergraphics film scanner. (Setup fee is $7,500 alone.)

Herlihy

The other problem is my photos are not mainstream and I get into trouble.

Loved hearing old Ed Herlihy. Thanks for that link.

There are a host of reasons for members to have a portfolio here or not. I have been here longer than most and have seen both sides of the issue. I am a photo junkie so I post some here and at other sites I like. I have over 5,000 photos on flickr because I like the layout and image quality even when I upload small files. There are those that enjoy talking about photo gear which is not my style because I am a low budget operator when it comes to lenses and camera bodies. I still enjoy reading about gear, just want to stay away from the temptation that better gear will make me a better photographer. Then there are the scientific/engineering tech crowd that like to talk about how lenses, optics etc. work. I skip those posts/comments because I failed miserably in math, physics, chemistry and all of what is called STEM now. Why would like to embarrass myself by showing how dumb I am? I love to see the work of others here and at other photo sites but understand why some photo enthusiasts don't go public with their images.

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, joined and "had" to upload 4 images to my "portfolio"... IIRC, I tossed up a few that were recent at the time, images I liked. As far as I know, I've gotten zero critiques, and possibly as few views. In truth, it was almost certainly a bit hurried, as I really just wanted to get onto this forum site, and was more or less leaping thru whatever hoops I had to, to gain access! I've perused just a few portfolios here, usually someone whose attitude and images I like... I, too, noticed that some folks have massive portfolios, others, not so much- and others, less still -if not zero portfolio posts. One person in particular, whose portfolio I saw has received some accolade, such as "photo of the _____" (day, week, month, moment, etc)... I guess that's recognition of achievement, from this site? How does that work?

For me, (and Wade & I are friends, so forget him "knowing" me by my work ha ha) this forum is a place to share images with others, view others' imagery, discuss some things I find interesting about. photography, and also a place to perhaps learn a thing or two about the nuts & bolts of a pastime of mine that I've gotten bit more serious about over recent years.

I have a great many images in my desktop Mac's photo files, and more yet in my Zenfolio host site pages. Maybe some have noticed (and maybe not) that I've posted more than a few images in No Words... I have enough photos on hand that I can always find something to match pretty much any "theme". As for posting "my best" VS "whatever" the theme calls for... I generally don't save anything that I don't consider reasonably pleasing to my own eye. Is it "my best"? Perhaps sometimes it might be; other times, well I at least have saved it from my forays or travels- so it passed muster at the very least. I don't earn living at photography and the truth is I know very little about actual photography, although I've been told I have an "eye' for imagery and take a decent photo. I was sort of looking at various "likes" in No Words as some measure of validation on that theme... but maybe they are as shallow as any likes on any social media site, be it a forum or *other* site... Funny tho, that I seem to have fallen into a pattern of a certain number of "likes" and find that same (or similar) pattern more or less repeating itself on face b00k and Inst*gram as well!

That said, I am an enthusiastic (novice) "photographer" and try to fulfill my own vision of the World as seen through my own lens. I have fun with my cameras - both digital and analog/film, and manage to create images that are pleasing to me. I try to capture places from my own perspective which is not always easy, especially in a place that millions have photographed; I like detail shots of "things", more than full-on photos of the "whole thing". I enjoy repartee on this forum and have found nice folks who are friendly as well as helpful, not to mention there are a couple people whose knowledge of the science of photography goes far beyond anything I could ever have imagined. It goes to show me how little I do know -and how much I have to learn- about this amazing craft, art, medium, or whatever one wishes to call it.

Edited by Ricochetrider

• 2 weeks later...

Hi wadeschields and other posters to this thread. My philosophy FWIW.

If you took the time to post a photo to a thread, and if it conforms to the general concept of the thread, I will 'like' it to acknowledge that I appreciate that you did so and that I have viewed your contribution. Otherwise, how would you know that I even looked at your contribution? I hope that this encourages people to post images. I like that you are participating.

I have had responses from people who never post an image nor do they have a profile or portfolio. I call them trolls. We see them in expat forums as well. They have an opinion but absolutely no experience. On Photo.net, you can see what they have contributed. If it is just words and not images, to me they are a troll.

If I tried to abide by some artistic or other criteria to decide if I 'like' an image, I fear that I would be hopelessly inconsistent and my 'like' would have even less value. Who am I to judge? Art is art, and the value is in the eye of the beholder. How can you be a beholder if people don't post? I'm an amateur having fun.

As for portfolios, I don't know how to manage one to keep it dynamic enough for somebody to visit more than once. If you want to see what I'm up to on the 'new' Photo.net, you have lots of opportunity to track what I am posting and commenting on.

Bottom line for me is that if we want Photo.net to stay alive, we have to provide the pulse.

• Like 2