Upgrade to full frame

Brian Murphy

If you are not printing large, there is one less reason to go with full frame.

I dare to disagree. - I am frequently playing available light desperado and went FF for that reason; to let my ISO skyrocket and have a chance to squeeze a fist full of denoised pixels out of my results. - Indoors with neither flash nor IS ISO 10K happens (and still doesn't feel enough).

Upon the low light / fast glass discussion: IMHO fast glass is adapting level #2 or even #3. Yes, it does enable us to do some kind of "imaging" but the absence of DOF and related focusing challenges should be kept in mind!

That 's why I suggest: Use what you have, to determine what you'll be facing. I made the mistake of buying what seemed "the best for low light within my reach" and being unhappy with the results (including the shooting experience) too often. <-FTR: Not with EOS (I am new to that system).

I am leary of buying used from someone I do not know. Just my quirk.
If you are able to buy new & hands on: Meter your dimmest cave, meter store. Mailorder cheapest necessary ND filter, to pull store lighting down to "cave" level, on your lens to be used and play around with it on the store's camera in the "petting area", to get an impression if the AF will perform as needed; i.e. "appear likely to lock swiftly". In doubt bring somebody to move their torso 10" forth and back and try framing a headshot. - Will the AF follow well? - Can you place a spot on the front eye and keep the shot framed? - If not you 'll buy "a compromise" and are likely to remain dreaming of another upgrade.
  • Like 1

My take is that you will find the 6DII fantastic with the lenses you have. If you need a faster lens for inside shooting (you may not really one as the 6D is great up to 6400) then you could buy a $100 50 mm f1.8 STM or a more expensive 35mm f2 IS which should cover you. A 5D MKIII secondhand would be another good option, although you may find the larger size of the MKIII not to your taste, also many s/h MkIIIs are well used by professionals, so may have less life in them.
  • Like 1
Robin Smith

My take is that you will find the 6DII fantastic with the lenses you have. If you need a faster lens for inside shooting (you may not really one as the 6D is great up to 6400) then you could buy a $100 50 mm f1.8 STM or a more expensive 35mm f2 IS which should cover you. A 5D MKIII secondhand would be another good option, although you may find the larger size of the MKIII not to your taste, also many s/h MkIIIs are well used by professionals, so may have less life in them.

Thank you Robin.

I dare to disagree. - I am frequently playing available light desperado and went FF for that reason; to let my ISO skyrocket and have a chance to squeeze a fist full of denoised pixels out of my results. - Indoors with neither flash nor IS ISO 10K happens (and still doesn't feel enough).

Upon the low light / fast glass discussion: IMHO fast glass is adapting level #2 or even #3. Yes, it does enable us to do some kind of "imaging" but the absence of DOF and related focusing challenges should be kept in mind!

That 's why I suggest: Use what you have, to determine what you'll be facing. I made the mistake of buying what seemed "the best for low light within my reach" and being unhappy with the results (including the shooting experience) too often. <-FTR: Not with EOS (I am new to that system).

If you are able to buy new & hands on: Meter your dimmest cave, meter store. Mailorder cheapest necessary ND filter, to pull store lighting down to "cave" level, on your lens to be used and play around with it on the store's camera in the "petting area", to get an impression if the AF will perform as needed; i.e. "appear likely to lock swiftly". In doubt bring somebody to move their torso 10" forth and back and try framing a headshot. - Will the AF follow well? - Can you place a spot on the front eye and keep the shot framed? - If not you 'll buy "a compromise" and are likely to remain dreaming of another upgrade.

Very interesting point of view with the testing. I sure did not think of that but that is why I am asking questions. What are you shooting now?

I could neither afford nor test latest & greatest.

What are you shooting now?

I went APS-C, with (admittedly by now somewhat obsolete) Pentax K20D + Samsung alternative + K10D as (somewhat) portable color work horses with 50 & 100mm macros or 50 & 24mm low light primes, kit & WA zoom, a 135/2.8 (+ film heritage clutter), sacrificing Canikon AF for IBIS.

Not overly happy with my fast primes, I wanted to go full frame. Since I had a Leica M kit I decided to start out with a beaten up M8, for cheap toe dipping, as half a backup and for demanded color work and got the (old) Monochrom used, while it was still top of the Leica low light line. Later I added a complimentary 5D IV & 70-200/2.8 IS II. - I have no contemporary FF color option, beyond adapting manual focus k-mount film lenses in a pinch, yet.

I'm probably pondering a next EF lens, right now I am torn between a) stabilized pair of primes 35/2 IS +?? - Tamron 85/1.8? / overweight 85/1.4? / 100/2.8 macro? and b) waiting for the Tamron 35-150/2.8-4 as a more casual*, versatile "walk around to shoot people" alternative. (<- 930g Konica 35/2 on Leica + 1490g 70-200 minus the Tamron's *yet unknown* weight might be "quite significant".)

While I handled my early Fujis in the mall, I could not imagine the low light focusing issues I am facing with them indoors, with flash and the kit zooms. They are nice light daylight only cameras though. - Buying a system flash for them was a mistake.

If I had the cash for a FF color WA body, I'd be torn. The EOS R with it's improved 24-105, is somewhat tempting. Leica Q II and Sony A9 might be in the race too and waiting for the rumored IBIS EOS with improved eye detection AF sounds like a plan in harmony with my finances.

EOS RP, 5D, 6D or 5D II or even a Pentax K1D might happen in between when I get into something like a job, demanding one or those.

I'm not unhappy with the Mk IV. It does what reviews promised quite well. Its just borderline heavy and too heavy, to be carried around happily "just in case". - Yes, I am spoiled and comparing apples with oranges, but I can't get rid of the hope, to someday shoot a few great portraits with just my collapsible 90/4 on the Leica, maybe riding around with a pair of light stands and Yongnuos*, in an ugly saddle bag...

*= I fear I can't stress that enough: Low light capability is a compromise and will stay one, for quite a while.

Current (obsolete) gear in an inexpensive makeshift studio setting (#Strobist...) might get you way further than buying a more low light capable camera, especially considering that the lights you face in low light photography were rarely ever placed to flatter the people they are shining on. The step from modifying given light with your reflectors to bringing your own might be tiny.

Well i bit the bullet , disregarded the negative chatter and ordered the 6dmark ii. Adorama has a special for a free flash with the camera body. So I decided to opt for that rather than a refurbished body. Thank you for your input. I look forward to seeing more of your photos posted.

Brian

• Like 2