Best 35mm SLR viewfinder?

bayfieldxcv

Thanks for all the replies! I had a om1n and hated it and the idea to get another A1 is a good thought however since I sold my FD lenses I wanted to try something now and was going to buy a Nikon f3hp however I actually ended up getting a Nikon fm3a a few days ago. I know it uses a needle meter which I specifically said I didn't want however in use I actually quite like it so far and the build quality is top notch! It came with a 50mm f1.4 ai lens which is ok but seems a bit wierd wide open so I might sell and grab the f2 as that seems sharper
  • Like 2

So far so good! My only issue is I find it quite difficult to hold, I think I'm going to look for a grip for it. Other than that I'm really like it so far!

I don't have an FM3a(prices are still too high on them, and an F6 is a higher priority for me now) but have all of the other FM and FE series cameras. The FM3a is a bit of a cross of an FE2 and FM2n, and I have multiple examples of both of those.

You might look for an MD-12 motor drive. It gives you a nice sized vertical grip, along of course with powered film advance. They're not super expensive-I think I paid $25 for the last one I bought.

Unfortunately, of the "FM sized" bodies, the FA was the only one to get a small(removable) "palm swell" type grip.

What version specifically of the 50mm f/1.4 do you have? In general, I find both the AI and AI-s version to be pretty decent wide open, although they come into their own around f/2.5 or f/2.8. The earlier Nikkor-S version is a bit of a different animal, with a lot of spherical aberration and fairly low contrast wide open and really wants to be used at f/4 or smaller. If you stuck random transparencies in front of me, I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between the Nikkor and the Canon FD mount 50mm f/1.4(both breech lock and nFD, both of which I've also used extensively).

• Like 2

I don't have an FM3a(prices are still too high on them, and an F6 is a higher priority for me now) but have all of the other FM and FE series cameras. The FM3a is a bit of a cross of an FE2 and FM2n, and I have multiple examples of both of those.

You might look for an MD-12 motor drive. It gives you a nice sized vertical grip, along of course with powered film advance. They're not super expensive-I think I paid $25 for the last one I bought.

Unfortunately, of the "FM sized" bodies, the FA was the only one to get a small(removable) "palm swell" type grip.

What version specifically of the 50mm f/1.4 do you have? In general, I find both the AI and AI-s version to be pretty decent wide open, although they come into their own around f/2.5 or f/2.8. The earlier Nikkor-S version is a bit of a different animal, with a lot of spherical aberration and fairly low contrast wide open and really wants to be used at f/4 or smaller. If you stuck random transparencies in front of me, I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between the Nikkor and the Canon FD mount 50mm f/1.4(both breech lock and nFD, both of which I've also used extensively).

It's the ai lens with the blue f16 marking and that's all I could tell you ahah, I'm not very well up on Nikon lenses

It came with a 50mm f1.4 ai lens which is ok but seems a bit wierd wide open so I might sell and grab the f2 as that seems sharper.

- Nope! The f/1.4 50mm Nikkors are actually sharper when stopped down to f/2. However, there is a difference in bokeh, if such nuances matter to you.

Also, the beefier build-quality of the f/2 lens narrows the weight difference between it and an Ai-S f/1.4. The extension of both lenses is much the same, and they both take a 52mm filter.

BTW, I put two different samples of 50mm f/2 Nikkor up against an Ai-S 50mm f/1.4, and an Ai f/1.4. The f/1.4 lenses were marginally the winners at f2 and, as expected, there was absolutely no difference between the Ai-S and AI f/1.4 versions; since they both have the same optical formulation.

• Like 1

- Nope! The f/1.4 50mm Nikkors are actually sharper when stopped down to f/2. However, there is a difference in bokeh, if such nuances matter to you.

Well thank you very much for clearing that up! I guess I can focus on looking for a 35mm lens now

Also, the beefier build-quality of the f/2 lens narrows the weight difference between it and an Ai-S f/1.4. The extension of both lenses is much the same, and they both take a 52mm filter.

BTW, I put two different samples of 50mm f/2 Nikkor up against an Ai-S 50mm f/1.4, and an Ai f/1.4. The f/1.4 lenses were marginally the winners at f2 and, as expected, there was absolutely no difference between the Ai-S and AI f/1.4 versions; since they both have the same optical formulation.

The F3HP does have a well deserved reputation for having a great viewfinder, but I also think that everyone who likes it also deserves a look through the non-HP finder. It-obviously-lacks the eye relief(I think it's 19mm vs. 25mm on the HP), but at .8x magnification rather than .75x on the HP. This means that the image is bigger, and to my eye actually a tiny bit brighter.

Both are great, and as a glasses wearer I appreciate the extra eye relief of the HP version.

• Like 1

The F3HP does have a well deserved reputation for having a great viewfinder, but I also think that everyone who likes it also deserves a look through the non-HP finder. It-obviously-lacks the eye relief(I think it's 19mm vs. 25mm on the HP), but at .8x magnification rather than .75x on the HP. This means that the image is bigger, and to my eye actually a tiny bit brighter.

Both are great, and as a glasses wearer I appreciate the extra eye relief of the HP version.

I don't suppose you have any experience with the 24mm f2 ais? A friend is selling for the same price as the f2.8s seem to be going for but I've heard mixed reviews on the flare and distortion.