Any quick fix for stuck power button?

Mary Doo

A worthwhile video (in the spirit of mt wd40 comment) on how to clean a lens and sensor...

Wow, he said "looks good!" I'll try to throw mine into the dish washer and see what happens. ;)

BTW, car boot (trunk) bags are now available

Thanks, I just checked Amazon and found a variety. Definitely useful for the trunk or for storing camera gear.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, he said "looks good!" I'll try to throw mine into the dish washer and see what happens. ;)

Thanks, I just checked Amazon and found a variety. Definitely useful for the trunk or for storing camera gear.

There was a video of someone cleaning a camera and lens in a dishwasher but I can't find it - sorry :D

BTW, hope everything works out OK

Never ever use this (WD40) witches' brew on any fine mechanical object.

IT'S FOR LOOSENING RUSTY NUTS, ferkrysake. Whatever is wrong with your switch, it's not likely to have rusted up.

I have a(nearly) 50 year old British car-Rust is one of the things holding it together.

WD-40 isn't even that good at helping to free up rusty fasteners. I don't have a can of it in the garage-PB Blaster works a lot better.

WD-40 isn't even that good at helping to free up rusty fasteners.

- It makes a wonderful perfume though. The smell of it hangs about on your hands for days. Mmmmm!

DubleeYew-Forte. Ze nouvelle parfum par Kevin Clown. For 'im, for 'er, for everrr. :cool:

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 2

The repair estimate is in. It's $175. What do you think?

WD-40 isn't even that good at helping to free up rusty fasteners. I don't have a can of it in the garage-PB Blaster works a lot better.

For this I looked up a YouTube video comparing WD-40 and PB-Blaster for rust removal and, surprise, WD-40 is the winner. So far the only use I have for WD-40 is to smooth window movement and unsqueak doors.

For this I looked up a YouTube video comparing WD-40 and PB-Blaster for rust removal and, surprise, WD-40 is the winner. So far the only use I have for WD-40 is to smooth window movement and unsqueak doors.

Usually, my goal isn't so much to get the fastener rust free(that's what a wire wheel is for, or in some cases just replacing the fastener completely) but rather to get it loose and able to turn. I've found that PB Blaster applied a couple of times a day for a day or two leading up to the repair(I often will do it before I leave for work, when I come home, and before I go to bed) will usually give me a good start, although a MAPP gas torch followed by a 2' breaker bar and/or impact wrench might still be necessary.

WD-40 doesn't seem to do a lot for freeing things up, while PB blaster-depending on just how badly it's stuck-can often, after a few day's work, allow me to take it apart with "normal sized" combination wrenches or socket wrenches.

WD-40 doesn't seem to do a lot for freeing things up, while PB blaster-depending on just how badly it's stuck-can often, after a few day's work, allow me to take it apart with "normal sized" combination wrenches or socket wrenches.

The YouTube comparison did show that WD-40 evaporates much faster than PB-Blaster; so in your situation PB-Blaster would work better.

BTW, car boot (trunk) bags are now available that Velcro to the carpeted interior.

Just ordered two of this (link) in quantity discount total $42. Should be very useful in the car if it's good as advertised. Thanks.

Just ordered two of this (link) in quantity discount total $42. Should be very useful in the car if it's good as advertised. Thanks.

Another major concern I have is theft. Both of our vehicles are wagon/SUV type without a covered trunk. If I use one of those, I need to put some pillow or towel over it so that the photo equipment is not easily visible.

Incidentally, as a moderator here, I think we have had enough discussion about using WD-40 on cameras and putting them into dishwashers. We know those are jokes, but I sure hope that nobody will visit this thread some time in the future and take the wrong advice seriously.

• Like 1

Another major concern I have is theft. Both of our vehicles are wagon/SUV type without a covered trunk. If I use one of those, I need to put some pillow or towel over it so that the photo equipment is not easily visible.

Incidentally, as a moderator here, I think we have had enough discussion about using WD-40 on cameras and putting them into dishwashers. We know those are jokes, but I sure hope that nobody will visit this thread some time in the future and take the wrong advice seriously.

Well, if they do, they shouldn't be let out with a camera :)

I think I'd be checking the lens as well, Mary.

:D

I think I'd be checking the lens as well, Mary.

Yup. It's fine. Thanks.

...I think we have had enough discussion about using WD-40 on cameras and putting them into dishwashers. We know those are jokes, but I sure hope that nobody will visit this thread some time in the future and take the wrong advice seriously.

Hmm... spray it with WD40,

then whack it with a brick...

http://bayouline.com/o2.gif

Missed Mary's post about $175 earlier.

I thought it might take a couple of hours to take the D500 apart, at least enough of it apart to change the part, and then put it back together with some testing. Just labor cost could easily be $200+.

Hopefully the damage is indeed very contained.

• Like 1

Mary, I think $175 dollars is a fair price to pay someone who knows what they are doing and garauntees their work. Especially so if he/she is local. As for plumbers, not all plumbers do equally good work. Always get a licensed and insured plumber and if you have time get three estimates.
  • Like 1

- Yeah, never understood why some plumbers have an inflated opinion of they're own worth. It doesn't take a lot of intellect or skill to bend a bit of pipe or push some solder into a hot copper collar.

Now that I take exception to...

I'm a plumber.

There's more to plumbing than bending pipe and soldering...

There's tea breaks to consider, the correct way to display your ass, oohing and aahing at possible problems.

But, I must admit, I have seen some disastrous installations.

(I'm actually a kitchen and bathroom fitter :) )

• Like 3

If this is also a forum for 'fessing up our past mistakes, then beware of power seats. I once arrived at a site quite early and decided to take a short nap (after a 6 hour drive starting at 0400). After leaning my seat back and as I slid the seat rearward I heard a faint "pop", and then remembered my camera was on the seat behind me. The seat caught and torqued the plastic-mount (I know, don't say it) lens right off the camera body. In this I was lucky, since a tougher lens would almost certainly have destroyed both lens and body. I mostly place camera, case, and other equipment on the back seat floor, for all the reasons stated above.

Best wishes to Mary. $175 seems a reasonable price to pay, given the alternatives.

Without being a complete cynic (!), I'd ask for the old bits. I've taken enough of these apart to not quite see how it can jam without obvious external trauma and/or a large piece of crap stuck in it.

A wooden dowel and a small jeweller's hammer....;)

It's a very simple 3 position rotational switch. OK, it's got a spring return so the 'LIGHT' switch returns to ON, but I've never heard of one jam before. Anyone else?

Edited by mike_halliwell

Without being a complete cynic (!), I'd ask for the old bits. I've taken enough of these apart to not quite see how it can jam without obvious external trauma and/or a large piece of crap stuck in it.

I picked up the D500 from repair. I asked him what the exact problem was and if there was any broken part(s). He said the button was jammed in the top cover due to the impact. He opened the top cover and un-jammed it, that's all. There was no broken part. I just put the 500mm lens on it and made sure everything works. It seems OK. Please don't conk out again. ;-)

• Like 2