Film Camera Week for August 10

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to use either medium or dark yellow for most of my filtered shots. I think my all time favorite is combining the deep yellow with Plus-X. Still have about 3/4 of a bulk roll of Plus-X in one of my bulk loaders so still time to experiment. I have HP5+ in another, and some Kentmere 100 in a third. A fourth loader has some early 80's Panatomic-X. When the Panatomic-X is used up I'll get a roll of Ilford Pan F+ (which I've used before and like). Also will get some more Eastman Double-X as well.

Do you have a favorite film, Moving On?

I am just getting started with the black and white.

I have about 5 rolls ready for the tank so I’ll be trying my hand at developing in a week or so. Tri-X and T-Max is all the B&W I’ve exposed so far.

As for other Film, Fuji Velvia is probably my favorite.

It's hard to beat Tri-X. I have a bulk roll of it in cold storage that I'll probably get through during the winter months. I bought the HP5+ (second choice of ISO 400 for me) when bulk Tri-X got so insanely expensive. Now that Tri-X has returned to a more sensible price I might get more. The Eastman Double-X, which is really motion picture stock, fits nicely between the ISO 125 and 400 films with its ISO of 250. A little lower in contrast than Tri-X so it finds its uses. At least two other member have posted images with it. As for TMAX 400, the current version is a decent film with possibly the finest grain of conventional black & white film. I haven't used but just a couple of rolls of it so that's all I can say about it. Good luck with your developing.

Moving On and others. Think of putting a G (orange) filter into your kit along with the "standard" Yellow (K2) & Red (25A) b/w filters. The exposure compensation is 1.5 f stops unlike a 25A of 3.5 f stops. The G produces more contrast than the K2 but does not go to the "Ink Black" effect common with the 25A on blue skies. This pic was with the G and I think it shows the gradual darkening of the sky from horizon thru zenith. Also note the filter affects the water contrast as well. Aloha from the Mainland, Bill1253161163_2k00-002-0095x5.jpg.50767f087ab20bad5ce7f328f6565ef6.jpg Edited by Bill Bowes
  • Like 4

Good advice, Bill. I have several and should probably use them more. Of course, the deep yellow (15) does a lot for me.I like to carry a variety from K2 to 29 so I can match the filtration to the type of skies I have and the effect I want,

Here's my favorite orange filter: It's a chrome ring Yashica from the mid 1970's

upload_2018-8-14_5-8-42.jpeg.b2bba88be1fc9dc19293aaaa2ab9e5a8.jpeg

A shot from a few years back with the orange filter. The effect is not as strong due to the sky. The position of the sun affects how dark the sky is before any filtering. Here I would have used a red filter I think.

upload_2018-8-14_5-11-25.jpeg.3c7715202a368d69f793d55677cfe572.jpeg

Konica Auto S2, Arista EDU 100

upload_2018-8-14_5-14-6.jpeg.23edc8bbfa39452a90896c2ff8a28e7e.jpeg

looking north the effect is more noticeable, same camera and film

• Like 3

Good advice, Bill. I have several and should probably use them more. Of course, the deep yellow (15) does a lot for me.I like to carry a variety from K2 to 29 so I can match the filtration to the type of skies I have and the effect I want,

Here's my favorite orange filter: It's a chrome ring Yashica from the mid 1970's

[ATTACH=full]1257785[/ATTACH]

A shot from a few years back with the orange filter. The effect is not as strong due to the sky. The position of the sun affects how dark the sky is before any filtering. Here I would have used a red filter I think.

[ATTACH=full]1257786[/ATTACH]

Konica Auto S2, Arista EDU 100

[ATTACH=full]1257787[/ATTACH]

looking north the effect is more noticeable, same camera and film

I find an orange filter (B+W 040), medium yellow #8 (B+W 022), very useful. Also useful is a #12 (Hoya Y52) yellow and medium red (B+W 090).

A friend of mine recently gave me a pair of Ray Bans. from the 80s or 90s I suspect. I rather liked the world through therm, but at my advanced age I need prescription glasses ..circa "2" I noted these lenses were a light green tint and I also noted I had a similar filter color for my Werra. This is a good general filter as it pimps the clouds a bit and adds some depth to the "greens of summer" in your landscapes. I generally like the Wratten K2 as my general contrast filter. I have a lot of different sizes to fit lots of different cameras. I think I mentioned this before, but my father gave me a "variable" contrast filter that goes from light yellow to dark red. I have not tried to find this anywhere... as I have one. I just wonder if something like that is still available!!

$20 for steak and eggs? Do you get a whole cow and chicken?

Donald Miller said

Notice that it's "egg" not "eggs"... I don't eat out very often in this expensive little country...

At today's exchange rate, that's about $14 USD, which is considerably better, though still not cheap.

• Like 1

Just another vote for Orange filter.... I find it the perfect balance. Red is often just too much, and with yellow filters too often I was left a bit underwhelmed. So got orange filters for most of my cameras. I have found that in the more exotic filtersizes, they can be harder to find that yellow filters, but all in all twith a bit of patience, eBay can deliver :-).

Just a bit to add to Wouter's comment. On Ebay one will find many filters in the 40.5mm size that fits my FSU lenses along with other sizes that will be in the low mm range. These are not glass but are listed as "optical polycarbonate", a fancy word for plexiglass. I ordered a G in this material ($10 usd) & have been tracking it's scratching tendency for the last year. So far it seems free of scratches even with my cleaning it after every outing. Good lens tissue, Q tips & fluids with a bit of TLC. Aloha from the Mainland, Bill