400mm f5.6 best lens. No sweet spot anymore?

jeremy_wakefield

A TC will get you closer, but with inevitable cost in sharpness and light. The 400 5.6 isn't the brightest tele out there, so you need lots of light to be able to use it with a TC when photographing birds. I occasionally use a Kenko 1.4 TC (a C-AF 1.4x Teleplus MC4) that works well and doesn't diminish sharpness dramatically, but it can only be used effectively in bright sunlight. Shutter speed is crucial in bird photography and usage of a TC for anything that needs a fast shutter speed will be less than satisfactory.

Another thing is the AF, which reportedly doesn't work at apertures f 8.0 and beyond and always results in a slower AF speed than the lens' native AF speed (without extensions). I have found this to be not always true, as I have photos that I focused on the central AF point at f 8.0 and AF worked very well and fast, but only in very bright light. That might differ from one TC to another.

I had a go with both these lenses. With the particular two I have access to, I found the Canon to be a fair bit superior in IQ at 400mm. Even when I used the Tamron at 300mm the Canon image was better. Mind you the Tamron was pretty good too. These were tested on a support. Handheld, obviously at lower shutter speeds, the Tamron had the edge with it's IS, however I doubt I'd use this lens for birds at such slow speeds so IMHO the Canon is ahead of the game here.

However, I'm tempted to get both.

Mad? Maybe I am, but here's why I'm considering this.

I can get a really really good price for both these lenses which amounts to the selling price for a new Canon lens alone. I can use the Tamron for focal lengths other than 400mm and for handholding in lower light. When I want the last drop of IQ I can use the Canon, because at 400mm I can see a fairly clear difference.

I suppose the thing is the Tamron is pretty good in all areas and really would do me alone. The question is whether or not it's worth me having an expensive one trick pony for the quality output as required. I will sleep on it for a couple of nights, but I'd welcome your views.

Edited by jeremy_wakefield

Jeremy,

The 400mm is far from a one trick pony. It is a versatile lens and is only limited by the imagination of the photographer behind the camera. It can be used for anything from landscapes to BIF. When the birds don't show up you'll find other reasons to love this lens.

Zooms and primes are tools that perform jobs differently. Having both will expand the capability of your photographic tool box. They will compliment one another. You can find both lenses used from reputable dealers. Or, if you want both new, get one now, then treat yourself at another time. If you only want one, then choose which will serve your purpose the best, buy it, and don't look back. It sounds like you have the information you need to make this decision. Get one (or both) and enjoy your new toy.

• Like 1

Thanks, Laura. I'm coming to the conclusion that I will have both. I use a mirrorless for general photography so the DSLR is really only for Birds but having the zoom and the prime would complete all I need it to do. I can have both now for a reasonable price and I will go for it. Thanks for your help
  • Like 1

Hi, I have been using the 400 mm f5.6 lens from canon for a long time. I already have a 100 -300 mm lens. I use this with extender ( canon 1.4 ex II ) . I use with EOS 3 film body and get autofocus at center point with the extender combination. Its slow with bodies like canon 550D ( without extender). The lower range of bodies focus slowly with it. I also use canon elan 7e or eos 30. The IS has not been an issue. It is lighter than 100 - 400 mm . I have used it for wildlife and pictures are sharp. The 100-400 had push-pull type zoom.

Hi. I've now bought the 400mm f5.6 and the Tamron 100-400 zoom. I couldn't resist the prices I got them for. I have found both to be very good. The IS on the Tamron is outstanding and I am using the 400mm handheld with high shutter speeds and finding it light and fairly easy to handhold. When I tested them on a tripod the IQ was excellent on each lens. So far so good. I also got my hands on a 1.4 EX II used and though I've only tried it on the 400mm in good night, results with that were also very good.