Film speed question

I am not sure what developer you are referring to, but if it did yield a higher film speed, the film "might be" over-exposed a bit. I say, "might be" over-exposed because the difference is usually small, and errors in metering technique can often offset that. Also, many films have some over-exposure latitude.

Whether the film is overdeveloped depends on how much development time you give it (and related things like agitation, how you account for pour in/out time, etc.), and how much contrast you want (to account for scene contrast, type of enlarger light source, etc.). Development time determines contrast, the more you develop, the more contrast you will get.

Of course, the best answer is to try it and see how it turns out, and then adjust the film speed, or development time to get the results you desire.

Is this in compensation mode, with high dilution, extended times, and minimal agitation? The extended time pulls the shadow density up, the dilution and agitation scheme keep the highlights from running away, so you're essentially moving the characteristic curve over (ie, it's not a push). This also enhances edge effects (high definition) though whether you can tell the difference depends on what you're comparing it to (Rodinal probably not, Microdol probably yes). You're not going to get more than a stop and probably more like 1/2 a stop; yes you're overexposing (may look better that way anyway) and no you're not overdeveloping. But the best answer is what Mark F said: <I>Of course, the best answer is to try it and see how it turns out, and then adjust the film speed, or development time to get the results you desire.</i>