Ekatchrome can't be far off

I believe Kodak was inferior to Fuji E-6 in terms of resolution. Don't know about the quality though. If they make anything right now, it should be at least on par with the Japanese.

E100G held a slight edge over Provia in terms of resolving power and a big edge terms of grain. The grain thing was a good reason to shoot the film, although I know I preferred the color rendition of Provia(and more so Velvia) and so used them in preference.

Still, though I stand by E100G being the "most digital like film ever made."

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still, though I stand by E100G being the "most digital like film ever made."

Why should film have to look like digital??

If you want digital, use digital. Film has its own specific look that cannot and should not be compared to digital.

Garyh | AUS

Pentax 67 w/ ME | Swiss ALPA SWA12 A/D | ZeroImage 69 multiformat pinhole | Canon EOS 1N+PDB E1

Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome E6 user since 1977.

Ilfochrome Classic Master print technician (2003-2010) | Hybridised RA-4 print production from Heidelberg Tango scans

Why should film have to look like digital??

If you want digital, use digital. Film has its own specific look that cannot and should not be compared to digital.

Did you ever shoot it beyond your one test?

The thing I liked about this film was how "clean" it was-that's the source of my "digital" comment. It still looks like film and has an Ektachrome-like color palette(for better or worse-that's why I preferred E100GX) but it was a film like nothing else I've ever used.

I believe Kodak was inferior to Fuji E-6 in terms of resolution. Don't know about the quality though. If they make anything right now, it should be at least on par with the Japanese.

As for the delay, it is frustrating. Since I thought that Summer/Autumn is the most convenient time for shooting slides personally for me. And if it's not out until the end of August, then it might as well be delayed until Spring of 2019.

The colors of Velvia seemed a bit exaggerated/punchy to me. Elite chrome and the previous Elite II films for instance appeared more true to life to my eyes.

The last years of E-6 films (Kodak and Fuji) had superior longevity to Kodachrome

Well, maybe for the 'faster' Kodachromes, but even the last years in my experience were less long-lived than the slower speed Kodachromes. The end of Ektachrome did get the color issue better.

I'm still not holding my breath, but will be happy when and if it comes.

Even later, black and white films started recommending blue flash bulbs, though I suspect it doesn't make so much difference.

Earlier B&W films were Orthochromatic (not sensitive to certain wavelengths of light,) Panchromatic B&W film on the other hand is sensitive to most wavelengths of light...I suspect the blue flash bulbs provided the type of light that worked better with Panchromatic B&W film.

As for the delay, it is frustrating. Since I thought that Summer/Autumn is the most convenient time for shooting slides personally for me. And if it's not out until the end of August, then it might as well be delayed until Spring of 2019.

Unless you live in the desert areas like in Arizona; then fall through spring is ideal!

There are people beta testing Ektachrome as we speak.

...And a few caught out backpedalling when they assumed Ektachrome was a C-41 film (!)

So much for the "expert" Beta testers...

Garyh | AUS

Pentax 67 w/ ME | Swiss ALPA SWA12 A/D | ZeroImage 69 multiformat pinhole | Canon EOS 1N+PDB E1

Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome E6 user since 1977.

Ilfochrome Classic Master print technician (2003-2010) | Hybridised RA-4 print production from Heidelberg Tango scans

Wow! Their control room still have a lot of CRT monitors in use. I've been to many industrial control room (being in the industrial automation business) over the years the CRT monitors have gone. Even some factory have old DOS based machines the monitors are LCD now.

How cool to see what the facility looks like!

Wow! Their control room still have a lot of CRT monitors in use. I've been to many industrial control room (being in the industrial automation business) over the years the CRT monitors have gone. Even some factory have old DOS based machines the monitors are LCD now.

I guess no need to change what works!

How cool to see what the facility looks like!

I guess no need to change what works!

Actually they changed them because they died. Most LCD monitors you can buy today still support VGA. It's the PC that are harder to replace when they die but possible. The software are not often replaced because they don't wear out and there is no need to change what works just like you said.

• Like 1

They are recreating the exact conditions.....;)

Putting the "Ektachrome Blues" aside, E100G was still a darn good film. I always found it crisp, clean, and easy to shoot plus it's VERY fine grained. Even though I did and still do shoot a lot of Velvia, I often grabbed either E100G(X) or Elite Chrome when I needed just a good general purpose slide film. I never was a big Provia guy when these films were still on the market, as I found that I preferred the skin tones and general color pallete(aside, again, from the "blues") from various Ektachrome emulsions. I've switched to Provia for a general purpose slide film, but will likely work it out of my rotation if E100 is any good.

As I've mentioned, back in the day I preferred the "warm" E100GX. Assuming E100 duplicates the color palette of E100G, I will likely routinely use it with an 81B or C(I generally use Velvia and Provia filterless or with an 81A at the most, or a Moose polarizer if I need a polarizer).

After looking at some slides this past weekend, I was thinking too about how nice it would be to have Elite Chrome back. It was a solid all-around slide film with a bit more "punch" than E100G(X)(probably comparable to Provia), but a nice color balance, great skin tones, and was amazingly easy to shoot with probably as much dynamic range as any slide film I've ever used. Its biggest failing in the mid to late 2000s is that it was fairly grainy for a 100 speed slide film. It's certainly not bad but then we were use to newer films like E100G(X) RAP, and RDPIII having insanely fine grain.