National-Geographics-picture-contest from The Daily Mail

"I don't care about The Daily Mail or whatever its politics are. What I do care about is for you and anyone reading this to realize that those marching boots you allude to can and will march in either direction, meaning both left and right" Phil.

You should care. Yes, marching boots can march in either direction. In the western world they are marching in one direction hard right and in other parts of the world the march continues.

Humanity against humanity only goes one place a not very nice place.

Anyway lets drop all this talk about politics/religion they just lead to folks falling out. We are photographers lets enjoy each others photography and thoughts about photography.

Thanks for the link, Sandy..

• Like 1

"That's the problem with the politically correct left today, the need for being constantly apologetic about the very culture that upholds them in the first place "Phil.

First of all you are putting me in the politically correct left. Let's correct that thought.

I love capitalism with a small c but not with the big C which equates to the rich getting richer the poor getting poorer. Unless richer folks are happy living in gated communities with private security the balance of rich and poor should be a fairer equilibrium.. Many many wealthy folk believe this thought to been true.

I do not believe in just hand outs to the poor, they should do community service, which would encourage a work ethic and more importantly a self respect.

"Why do you think so many people from all parts of the world keep flocking and marching to the Western world and to cultures that have Western values?"Phil

They like to keep their own cultures. Folk flock to richer countries to improve their lives as folks flocked to the Americas and UK.

Unless you are illiterate or so blind that you do not want to see.....the march of the hard right is ongoing.

Perhaps the West can learn from these so called primitive cultures that consumerism is not really the God of this world.....just a simple quick simple solution to sate a appetite which eventually leaves the mind and stomach empty.

Edited by Allen Herbert

Could we get back to discussing the topic of the National Geographic competition photos?

What is the general opinion, are the unusual events such as volcanic eruptions etc. overrepresented in international competitions? I think extraordinary photos of the ordinary can also be interesting but might not make the grade because evaluators value drama and impact.

I think the problem with the photos is not their subject but their extraordinariness. I’d prefer nature photos that look more down to earth and less like a high definition extravaganza of color and form. Nature has soul. These photos mostly don’t. They have dazzle. They’re all “wow”. There’s a lot of humility in nature, which is not portrayed.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!