Nikon D850, Early Impressions

ShunCheung

...and Thom reports that he's seen some D500s and D850s with power management issues that needed repair, says the drain from the clock battery might last through several main battery charges (I'd assumed it was the first couple, and my camera is still relatively new), and points out that not configuring Snapbridge might be causing drain (although I think I configured it for long enough to turn it off).

I'll keep monitoring mine and let you know if anything improves, or if I find something that's causing it.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I started with an EN-EL15 (-20, from 2014) and I had 45% of the capacity remaining. I got 650 shots before the battery was depleted. This included some dance photography that was fairly rapid but in single shot mode, as well as some PC wide angle work using tripod and live view. So it would seem that I would have gotten about 1400 shots had the battery been full. This seems like quite a good result. I guess the number of shots increases when the shots are made in a relatively short time whereas if the battery charge is used over a period of several weeks then the figure is smaller. I will shoot a full charge tomorrow so I get some more data.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
I got a nice surprise yesterday. Back when I had the D700, I played with a 10 stop ND filter for a bit. The fact you had to focus manually, then screw the filter on etc. was a bit annoying so I put it aside. With the focus shift option and some delay in taking the pictures as options on the D850, I was trying to mimic some of the ND filter behavior. In comparing results and experimenting, I found that the 10 stop ND filter allows the D850 to accurately focus without having to remove the filter first. So now it's suddenly a lot more useful and fun to tinker with that. The light meter also works well with the ND filter, so no more guess work there either.