Corrupted card, can occur from deleting photos and taking new photos repeatedly or using a card reader to transfer the photos. Try connecting the camera direct for the photo transfer. Transfer all photos to a backup medium then format the card in camera. Replace the card if the problem continues.

Allow me to explain the conditions. The memory card was down loaded to a laptop at the end of each day. I would then format the memory card in camera (as usual) for the next day (15 day trip). This experience only happened for two shots in the same location on ONE day about mid way of my vacation - did not occur again for any other shots. I tend to agree, that the cause of this experience was a faulty memory card even though this outcome did not occur again. I can't explain the inner workings of a memory card however, the same memory card was and is being used every day without a problem - for four years.

The memory card is some form of solid state electronics. Solid state electronics can fail, heal itself, and work for a period of time afterwards. Solid state electronics are layers of material, usually treated silicone, fused together in layers that separate (failure) then fuse together (self heal).

A strong magnetic field, radio frequency (rf), or similar electronic interference may have caused the problem.

The problem may have been a glitch in the camera. One can only speculate.