Film Camera Week for July 21

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Mike

The manufacturer sold the film a few months back on preorder and I just got the film a week ago, so it took several months for them to get out the film and they are still filling the preorders so no telling when they will be producing enough to stock dealers.

I asked when I would be able get more if I liked it and they said it would be a few months, so no telling when based on how long it took to get the 5 rolls they allowed on the preorder.

I do like the 50, the 80 is hard to scan as it is pretty dark so I will probably be using 50 and 25 and I will try the Rodinal on the next roll.

Here is a link to their site

Welcome

Looks good Don, it does have the very traditional look Ferrania promised. I've been following the progress of this project for a couple of years, and these are the first "real " user samples I've seen. It's not unlike the Berrger Panchro400 I'm currently using. A great range of tone in the forest image.

Then-and-now photo from the village of Pont-Brocard, Normandy

pont_brocard.jpg.bb09c93af6d19e599cff24a08b290a79.jpg

Photo on the left was taken at the end of July 1944, showing Pvt Joseph De Freitas (Yonkers, NY) of B-company 41st Armored Infantry Regiment, part of Combat Command B of the 2nd Armored Division.

Photo on the right was taken 2 weeks ago at the same location, featuring another active service member, taken with my Leica IIIc, Sonnar 5cm f/1.5, K2 filter and Double-X.

I briefly spoke to the lady living across the street, who, as a young girl, saw the De Freitas cooking and the photographer who took the picture

• Like 5

Well, another storm is moving in so it looks as if this weekend will be a write-off, from a picture-taking perspective. This winter must be shaping up to be one of the wettest on record... Stll, I'm taking the opportunity to finish some images that have accumulated since the beginning of the month, and I'll post a few below. Cameras, lenses etc noted.

The Big Apple

[ATTACH=full]1199744[/ATTACH]

Bronica ETRs : 150mm Zenzanon MC f/3.5 : Berrger Pancro 400 : PMK Pyro

I have to ask... any idea what it is that they're promoting as Chicken Maryland? I've never heard of that, even when I was IN Maryland (although, it wasn't a long visit).

A shot in Santa Cruz with HP5 in 120 format. That film seems lifeless to me. I guess I wish I could find something in between Arista 400 and HP5. I am out of film so I have to try something different. Maybe I will try Delta 400.

It's a beach where people with dogs go. There is a leash law but it's not enforced so a real risk for you gear if using a tripod. Basically the bigger dogs will knock it over. I believe most of the people are homeless so if they ruin your gear you will not be compensated for it. Anyway I do not want the shot enough to get the Police involved or anything and will just move on to other places. It's a big coast. In this shot the sky is actually fog but the film just made it look lifeless. Or maybe the photography made it look lifeless. I guess I should accept responsibility over a brand name film loved by many.

1936530411_Abridgeweb.jpg.82c464a0f2911cb93695c4e5dd121dbe.jpg

Edited by rossb
  • Like 2

Rossb. HP-5, Delta400 and EDU400 (Foma) "sing" in Pyro developers. . . get a small bottle of PyrocatHD in glycol from Formulary and try it. . . My above shots develop in PyrocatHD just like my Obsidian Aqua. The OA is much cheaper per roll and saves me a bundle in shipping to Hawaii. Check some of Rick Drawbridges HP-5 with PMK-Pyro also. Aloha, Bill

Rossb & others. I lived in San Jose, Calif from 1971 to 82 and spent many hours along the coastline, from Big Sur to Point Reyes ( and beyond). Coastal shooting is tough, mainly from the changing weather. My take of that time is that a lite yellow filter is require at the minimum to separate rocks & clouds on a "grey" day. Also, some type of Zone System exposure/development works wonders. The use of a Pyro developer allows "expansion" of some Zones, but filtration & exposure are the facts you have to concentrate on. Enjoy, Bill

Ross, I just rummage thru my "old" files/notes and came across this shot. Taken in the early 1970's, it is on Essex 400, which was a "rebranded" Ilford HP film sold by Freestyle in Calif. The neg is with my 4x5 Calumet & Caltar 210mm lens and K-2 filter. Pentax spot metering. D-76 tray development for +3 development. The original scene is VERY flat, hence the +3 development time.1092494041_4x5-585-002ce.jpg.c498d9ebd8e1257e2d09b137f991db16.jpg This resized scan does not show the delicate fog rolling over the hill tops, nor the "faint" cloud formation just behind the fog. This farm was located less than 1 mile from the beach in La Honda, Calif.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tip guys but I am just not going to buy HP5 is all. I will try some Delta 400 and Tri-X and see how it goes. I want to shoot 400 speed as I can hand hold the medium format easier for shots of the grand kids.

Just a side note. The movie Dunkirk was shot 100% on medium format film. If you are ok with military movies then this one is a movie to see. An IMAX theater is the best venue otherwise you watch it in a cropped method. I just went on the spur of the moment and when I was watching it I was amazed at the photography and looked it all up when I got home. Now I am going to San Jose next week and watch it at an IMAX theater. The article said for 2 minutes of recording they used 1000 feet of film.

@rossb: if you go to San Jose, California to watch the Dunkirk in 70mm IMAX, do NOT go to the IMAX theater in Tech Museum! I did not know it was a 3D spherical screen that is shaped like a planetarium: fun for a 15min documentary, but utterly dizzy for a 1 hour 45min feature length movie that involves nauseating visual effects of sea and sky. :-)

Just a side note. The movie Dunkirk was shot 100% on medium format film. If you are ok with military movies then this one is a movie to see. An IMAX theater is the best venue otherwise you watch it in a cropped method. I just went on the spur of the moment and when I was watching it I was amazed at the photography and looked it all up when I got home. Now I am going to San Jose next week and watch it at an IMAX theater. The article said for 2 minutes of recording they used 1000 feet of film.

Ross, if I have to choose between HP5 and Tri-X, I'll take HP5 any time. I think it depends a lot on the developer, though. I used HP5 with Rodinal once, and couldn't quite appreciate the golfballs and silly contrast. With HC110, I like HP5 very much: smooth tonality, nice highlights, subtle grain. With Tri-X, even in good light, I was always left a bit underwhelmed (flat, murky midtones). What developer did you use with the HP5 shots? Sure no harm in trying Tri-X or Delta 400, but I really wouldn't dismiss HP5 too easily.

Well, happy Tuesday, everyone. I'll add a few more.

Our Farmer's Market is not what it used to be. Most vendors were under the awning, but it was easier to photograph the few that were in open areas.

upload_2017-7-25_6-34-27.jpeg.0cb81f5bb9630f4e193f8463e37b48a3.jpeg

Fuji GS645 S, Tri-X

upload_2017-7-25_6-35-42.jpeg.b815843aefbc2ad8dde53aa50056c427.jpeg

A few more vendors, but in the shade, Fuji GS645 S

upload_2017-7-25_6-38-30.jpeg.3566de6e517698f19ab7603e1cdb7de2.jpeg

North of stadium, Minolta XE-5 with Minolta 35-70 f3.5 MD, Ilford HP5+

Ross, if I have to choose between HP5 and Tri-X, I'll take HP5 any time. I think it depends a lot on the developer, though. I used HP5 with Rodinal once, and couldn't quite appreciate the golfballs and silly contrast. With HC110, I like HP5 very much: smooth tonality, nice highlights, subtle grain. With Tri-X, even in good light, I was always left a bit underwhelmed (flat, murky midtones). What developer did you use with the HP5 shots? Sure no harm in trying Tri-X or Delta 400, but I really wouldn't dismiss HP5 too easily.

Actually with 35mm my favorite film is HP5 but in medium format the film has a completely different look to it. I have not been shooting medium format very long so I am still experimenting with what I want to shoot. Arista 400 is not bad. To much grain for landscape skys however most of my photography is not landscape. That is just what I post here as I do not post family photos on the world wide web. Anyway I like Delta 100 very much and will probably take that on my next trip to Yosemite.. I ordered 3 rolls of Delta 400 and 3 rolls of Tri-X last night and will shoot those. Then I am going to decide which film I want to shoot on a regular basis. I use ID11 developer at a 1:1 mix and ordered enough for 15 liters of stock solution last night.. I purchase from Freestyle Photo in LA. Anyway for 100 speed I have settled on Delta 100 and for a 400 speed film I have not decided as of yet.

Since I was threatened at the beach yesterday by these dog people who apparently claimed a public beach as their turf I am going to stick to State and National Parks for my landscape photography. That means less landscape photography which will work out ok given the cost of medium format film. Every year people treat me more aggressively. Not sure if it's the times or because the older I get the more vulnerable I appear.

Rossb. Just because you & I are "seniors" (I'm 74), there is no reason to be hassled by anyone ! In the last 3 years I was "aggressively" approached while out with the cameras by idiots panhandling or claiming "site rights". On all occasions 911 was called & charges filed against them. Regardless of their conditions, my rights & safety come first. Those that wear blue are there for "US". Use your phone to take a picture of the offenders should they take off with the arrival of the calvary ! Most police know them & will correct their action. Bill
  • Like 2

Rossb. Just because you & I are "seniors" (I'm 74), there is no reason to be hassled by anyone ! In the last 3 years I was "aggressively" approached while out with the cameras by idiots panhandling or claiming "site rights". On all occasions 911 was called & charges filed against them. Regardless of their conditions, my rights & safety come first. Those that wear blue are there for "US". Use your phone to take a picture of the offenders should they take off with the arrival of the calvary ! Most police know them & will correct their action. Bill