Film Camera Week for July 21

I messed up on that response. Anyway your correct and I probably should call the Police when stuff like that happens. I will think about it. My wife's advice was to not go where homeless people hang out. She said I was asking for it and lucky to not get a punch in the face. She said the Police will not do anything about that place or they would have many years ago.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I would work on exposure today with my new hand held meter and using different filters from 2 stops to 13 stops of light. Each time I metered the scene with an incident meter and then used my phone calculater to determine exposure using Math. I shot the same scene with a 2 stop ND (4x)), 10 stop ND (1000x), 12 stop ND (4000x) (stacking the two) and finally a 10 stop ND stacked with a red filters which has a 3.3 stop light reduction (8000x)

All of the shots came out pretty nice except the last photo which was the 10 stop ND + a 3 stop red filter. It was 1 top overexposed give or take. I am not going to repeat that last frame as it's not likely a set up I would use anyway.

Anyway in my back yard. The cup and key actually have a story. Years ago I was working in the ICU at the Hospital and this old guy who was a volunteer came in to chat with me a couple times a week. He was a retired railroad man and was in fact the Conductor on a steam train (the 4449 I think). It was called the Daylight Express and it ran from San Francisco to LA and was a passenger train. Anyway he was the Conductor and that was in the days when the train speed and time was based on a pocket watch. He showed me his watch and explained about how they used to have them calibrated and engraved and stuff. His watch was awesome. His Dad also was a train guy and he had his watch also. Anyway I used to chat about trains with him. Mostly asking questions as I do not know about the trains hardly. He came in one day and gave me the cup and the key as a gift. Apparently every 6 months back in the day if you were a good employee they gave you a small gift. This was one of those gifts that he received. It has never had a beverage in it. He said the key opens all the box cars and he gave the stuff to me. Anyway when I am just wanting to experiment with film, developing or whatever I set up his cup and key and take shots of it. Ed has since passed away. I willl try and find a link to the train he was a Conductor on and post it. The train is awesome.

1838736118_thetestshot.thumb.jpg.5d60ab7b6e6e9a77bdce2efa81082c1f.jpg

• Like 4

The Daylight Express 4449. There is actually a lot of information out there as the train is still maintained and apparently they bring it out sometimes for a run. Rich guys can buy a ticket and go for a ride on Ed's old train. I would sure like to take a photo of it sometime as it blows out some smoke and such.

• Like 1

To finish out my contributions to this week's thread. (After all, a new one starts tomorrow.)

I've been using a Sigma 28-80 HF zoom recently that I've had for over a decade. This little zoom doesn't look like much, but they're cheap on the used market and unlike many close focus zooms of this size, it can autofocus in macro range. And it works fine manually on my MX. I took a slightly underexposed image on FP4+ and did a little post processing, which included cropping, tinting and adding more grain.

upload_2017-7-26_18-51-4.jpeg.1a9d8bbb1d4a2f2ca39eaffa9cf5cfcb.jpeg

ZX-7 with Sigma 28-80 at 80mm, cropped, tinted, and grain added

More from this lens later

The Daylight Express 4449. There is actually a lot of information out there as the train is still maintained and apparently they bring it out sometimes for a run. Rich guys can buy a ticket and go for a ride on Ed's old train. I would sure like to take a photo of it sometime as it blows out some smoke and such.

Ross, should you make it up Portland way, The daylight lives at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center. She's a beauty. Here's a shot of the con.

img186.jpg.71cfdef0e2aa85879073463e34dbd873.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work, all.

Bill B's recommend for HP5, D400 + PyroHD - I second the thought. I've enjoyed the results w/ FP4 and PanF also. 'Great soup.

Supriyo - Good to see your posts here. I've liked your work - mostly from the no words forum threads. Tones & detail in these 4 images are super. 'Hope to see more.

Tony - tones & clarity on the waterfront shots are killer.

Don - the shot of your Dad's house is neat - not because its an ideal palace, but a regular dwelling in an idealic setting. 'Hope you have lots of shots around there. 'Looks like a more dry version of the PacNorthWet.

I thought I would work on exposure today with my new hand held meter and using different filters from 2 stops to 13 stops of light. Each time I metered the scene with an incident meter and then used my phone calculater to determine exposure using Math. I shot the same scene with a 2 stop ND (4x)), 10 stop ND (1000x), 12 stop ND (4000x) (stacking the two) and finally a 10 stop ND stacked with a red filters which has a 3.3 stop light reduction (8000x)

All of the shots came out pretty nice except the last photo which was the 10 stop ND + a 3 stop red filter. It was 1 top overexposed give or take. I am not going to repeat that last frame as it's not likely a set up I would use anyway.

Anyway in my back yard. The cup and key actually have a story. Years ago I was working in the ICU at the Hospital and this old guy who was a volunteer came in to chat with me a couple times a week. He was a retired railroad man and was in fact the Conductor on a steam train (the 4449 I think). It was called the Daylight Express and it ran from San Francisco to LA and was a passenger train. Anyway he was the Conductor and that was in the days when the train speed and time was based on a pocket watch. He showed me his watch and explained about how they used to have them calibrated and engraved and stuff. His watch was awesome. His Dad also was a train guy and he had his watch also. Anyway I used to chat about trains with him. Mostly asking questions as I do not know about the trains hardly. He came in one day and gave me the cup and the key as a gift. Apparently every 6 months back in the day if you were a good employee they gave you a small gift. This was one of those gifts that he received. It has never had a beverage in it. He said the key opens all the box cars and he gave the stuff to me. Anyway when I am just wanting to experiment with film, developing or whatever I set up his cup and key and take shots of it. Ed has since passed away. I willl try and find a link to the train he was a Conductor on and post it. The train is awesome.

[ATTACH=full]1200674[/ATTACH]

Hello Ross

That is a great story and photo

I always liked listening to the old shooters telling stories of the old days at our black powder club

• Like 1

Nice work, all.

Bill B's recommend for HP5, D400 + PyroHD - I second the thought. I've enjoyed the results w/ FP4 and PanF also. 'Great soup.

Supriyo - Good to see your posts here. I've liked your work - mostly from the no words forum threads. Tones & detail in these 4 images are super. 'Hope to see more.

Tony - tones & clarity on the waterfront shots are killer.

Don - the shot of your Dad's house is neat - not because its an ideal palace, but a regular dwelling in an idealic setting. 'Hope you have lots of shots around there. 'Looks like a more dry version of the PacNorthWet.

Thanks pinklather

I will be moving up there middle of next year and I am looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Ross, should you make it up Portland way, The daylight lives at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center. She's a beauty. Here's a shot of the con.

[ATTACH=full]1200717[/ATTACH]

I used to spend some time in Portland. My youngest daughter went to the University of Portland so I drove up there quite a bit. Had no idea about the train back then however or steam trains in general actually. The lady that does my taxes is a train nut however. They make vacations out of seeing the trains, riding them and such. She wants that coffee cup and key but I said it cannot be done as it was a gift. Besides I think of Ed when I see the cup sitting there. He was an amazing and friendly person. He told me when his wife passed away he caught his kitchen on fire trying to make a meal for himself. He had never cooked anything before.

I do want to visit Portland, Vancouver and Seattle in the next year or so. My wife retires in 18 months and we were going do a road trip to celebrate or head out to Hawaii. I have only been to Kaui is all.

Hello Ross

That is a great story and photo

I always liked listening to the old shooters telling stories of the old days at our black powder club

I bought a black powder rifle kit one time for about $75.00. Finished the stock and did the brown thing of the metal and took it out and shot it a few times. I could hit a barn door with it but barely. It sat around for a while and then I took it up to the local gun store and got rid of it. That guy got his license taken away because he was selling weapons to felons. I thought he was such a nice guy but maybe not so much.