Developing Fortepan 400

Ok, developed 2 rolls, came out weak, (i might save some pix when i scan them) (tomorrow). so i thought the time was wrong. went back to instructions and to my surprise "above times are for artificial light only. when exposing film to daylight or with electronic flash increase exposure 1 stop."

so i developed another roll and increased development by +- 50%, to 14 min. came out alright. for the remaining 6 rolls i have, i'll set the camera iso 800.

Setting EI 800 for a 400 ISO film will underexpose it by a stop, not increase exposure. To increase exposure by one stop you need to set 200 ISO on the meter or camera.

Beside which, altering exposure is not the same as altering development. You need to examine the negatives to see if the highlight density and contrast is weak - indicating underdevelopment, or whether the shadow detail is lacking - indicating underexposure.

Or you could choose a better quality film from a more reliable maker that supplies comprehensive data on their emulsions.

I don't believe Fortepan 400 is manufactured anymore. Unless you have a large stock (a seller who can supply it) you might eventually look at some other films. But to the original question: google the film and check out the results and responses that others have achieved and use a guide to getting the results you are after.

http://www.jackandsue.com/magazines/photographic/pdf/1992%206%20Forte%20Film%20System.pdf

says some things about it, including that it works over a wide EI and development time range.

Your light negatives might scan just fine, though it is probably better to increase exposure or development.

It also says the same EI value for daylight and tungsten. Many films have a lower suggested EI in tungsten light, though for proper gray tones, filters are recommended.

(It used to be clear flash bulbs were used for black and white films, but for some years now, blue bulbs have been recommended, as they are close to daylight in color.)

-- glen