Bulk loading price breakdown

I started bulk loading when I was 10 (49 years ago) when I inherited my grandfather's darkroom equipment, including some bulk rolls.

Then in 7th grade or so, I did yearbook photography, mostly with 100 foot rolls from Freestyle for $5 each, of ASA 40 Panatomic-X. (That is what it said on the can.)

A few years ago, I got a 100 foot roll of Pan-F+ recently outdated (and kept cold) at a nearby camera store for half price. That was before Kodak increased the price on Tri-X in 100 foot rolls.

There is the convenience of being able to spool any desired length, but I usually go close to 36 exposures (plus leader and such).

When I didn't have a bulk loader, which is up until less than 10 years ago, my favorite way, suggested by my father, was to put

the film and camera in the changing bag, wind off the appropriate number, cut the film, tape it to the spool, and rewind it into the cartridge. Now I use a bulk loader inside the changing bag. I don't like exposed far ends of the film. I now have a few loaders, some bought from Goodwill. I also have some 100 foot rolls of different expired films, from eBay, including some Panatomic-X (usual ASA 32 kind).

Even on a teen-age allowance, I could afford enough film to take way too many pictures. Now that I can scan them, I have many pictures from school or scout camp, that most people don't have.

Camp Oljato, in central California, 1973, most likely on ASA 40 Panatomic-X.

CampOljatoSwimming.thumb.jpg.bd04e3771ec8aa7c03a088fab9ae4153.jpg

• Like 1

-- glen

Nice shot, Glen. Do you remember what camera you used? I think we're about the same age. I learned to make prints when I was about 10, but my dad was in charge of the bulk loader (usually had Plus-X) in my early days. In 1973 I often borrowed my dad's Mamiya Sekor 1000 TL, but I also experimented with 110 with a Kodak Pocket Instamatic 40. I would soup Verichrome Pan in total darkness in a tray since I didn't have a reel.

Nice shot, Glen. Do you remember what camera you used? I think we're about the same age. I learned to make prints when I was about 10, but my dad was in charge of the bulk loader (usually had Plus-X) in my early days. In 1973 I often borrowed my dad's Mamiya Sekor 1000 TL, but I also experimented with 110 with a Kodak Pocket Instamatic 40. I would soup Verichrome Pan in total darkness in a tray since I didn't have a reel.

Most likely a Canon VI, and more often with a 35mm lens. That one belonged to my father, but after he bought a Canon Pellix, I mostly got to use it. I also had some cameras that I inherited from my grandfather, one was a Minolta rangefinder, and the other an Aires SLR with non-interchangeable lens and non-return mirror.

The Canon light meter stopped working by then, so I used an external meter.

I now have a Canon light meter, bought through eBay, that works about half the time, sometimes tapping on it helps.

-- glen

The reason for the picture today, is that I have it on Facebook, and today FB told me that it was five years since I posted it, and should post it as a memory.

I also posted it to the camp Oljato FB page.

-- glen

Recently I looked at some old issues of Popular Photography (late 60's) that belonged to my dad. The Freestyle ads got my attention. It was the place to pick up bulk film inexpensively. Past date films (like Plus-X), surplus motion picture stock (Eastman Double-X, 4X, Background-X, etc.) and some aerial stock usually sold for around $5 per roll or even less. They even had bulk Kodachrome. They even had a motion picture version of Tri-X in 100' that was an ISO 320 film rather than 400. Sometimes Freestyle would offer this or similar film along with a bulk loader. Those were the days. However, I use Freestyle today as I can usually get black & white chemistry quickly and with reasonable shipping. I also tend to buy most of my paper from them as well.

Hello All

Thanks for all the comments.

Hello Bill, your comment about the short rolls is exactly why I want to do bulk loading, I like the idea of loading 12 or 24 shots.

I have the Kentmere 100 and I just bought a roll of HP5 from e-bay sealed and exp. date of 2020 for a good price, less than B&H, so I will get to do a lot of experimenting with HC110 and Rodinal and I am thinking of getting some Pyrocat HD as Pinklather has been giving me some tips and hints so we will see how it goes.

Again thanks everyone

While I mostly use bulk loaders, I do leave a bit of leader out when I rewind the film so the cartridge can be easily reloaded. Never cared for those old Kodak "snap cap" cassettes.

But winding off a length of film in darkness without a loader is an important skill. I've done that from time to time to try out a new film if my bulk loaders already had film in them. I keep a couple of strips of thick paper taped to darkroom wall to serve as guides for cutting bulk to length.

This should be a no brained. It's going to come down to how often you shoot, they type of film and if your a cheapskate.

If you shoot often then it pays to buy bulk, but these days 100' of good film is often $125+ US. If it's color will you be processing it yourself or getting your film cassettes returned.

There is cheap film out there but it's only good for testing equipment. 70mm is out of the question these days with most stores requiring you to order 5 or more long rolls in advance and waiting weeks for it.

I still stock 3 types of B&W 35mm in bulk and process it myself. TMY2 has just gone up to $129 for 100'. While I might save a few dollars doing it this way individual rolls make more sense because I can keep what I'm not using frozen (I don't freeze my bulk).

The bottom line here....if you don't use it before it expires you didn't save any money.

Hello everyone. RJ, I replace the "cheapsake" with "frugal" in my b/w life. Yes TMY is off the radar on my retirement income, but Kentmere and it's cousin Ultrafine Xtreme (IMHO both the same) are excellent emulsions @ $45-50 per 100' rolls. My collection of CMC love it & even the 6x6 or 6x9's use it in the UFX product. You are spot on with the "use it or loose it" idea although. Just in case a decade or two passes, there is hope for funds recovery. . . . I spotted an Ebay listing for a roll 15 yrs out of date for LOMO fans. Also, the EDU emulsions at Freestyle are in the affordable region. Aloha, Bill Fed-2, Kentmere 4001021422687_2k17-066-016ces10bc4x6.jpg.67b7fbc21f420be7618bc84eef007831.jpg

I started using bulk film so I didn't have to shoot 36 frames to test a camera. I'm still getting the hang of it and your comments on reducing the waste are very helpful.

I am using Foma 100. I can buy it from the Australian distributers in 17m rolls. Being in the same country as Blanco Negro the postage is less than overseas suppliers. The cost is AUD35 for the roll plus freight.

I haven't worked out a price per frame yet, but that wasn't the reason for bulk loading.

I ordered a 100' roll of Kentmere 100 the other day (39.95 USD plus free shipping) along with more HC110. I still have plenty of HC110, but the two items together allowed free shipping from B&H. When I finish the FP4+ in one of my loaders the Kentmere will go in that one. Not using as much Tri-X (still have about 1/2 of a 100' roll in another loader)