Moisture damaged film

robert_ley

On a recent trip a roll of 220 film(Fuji NPS 160) inadvertantly got

wet. I dried it out but when I took it in to be processed, my lab

told me that the film was stuck together and could not be processed.

Has anyone experience processing film like this? My initial thoughts

are that I might be able to soak the film and then process myself in

C-41. Any thoughts on my problem?

It would appear that you have nothing to lose at this point. I have had sheet film get stuck together at times in tray processing. Sometimes it will separate and sometimes it wont. Please be advised that C41 is a very critical time/temperature process. I tried it once years ago and quickly learned why those commercial processors have all of that high priced and technical equipment. Good luck.

Regards,

Donald Miller

Five minutes or so should loosen it up - longer if needed with no tugging allowed. It's really an economics dilemma at some thirty dollars for a kit. After that, a higher reprint price may apply.

To get the most from the problem, I'd experiment with a roll or two of chromogenic - exposed and ready to process.

Thanks Bob and Donald for your replys. I too have tried C-41 and I'm not looking forward to it. I wish I had that Jobo setup now! I would not even worry about it, but there is an image on those negs that I really would like to save. My lab routinely processes my negs only and I do all my own printing, so I'm not really worried about the reprint cost. I am smart enough to know that they do a much better job of souping my negs. I have been using a unicolor unidrum for more than 25 years and still process alot of B&W film and will probably use the unidrum and roller. I will let you know if I am successfull or not.

Regards,

Robert