Classic Manual Camera Weekend for March 24

A further thought on "adopting" modern film cameras. Perhaps we could keep forums in place rather than merge since such a merger could potentially make older threads inaccessible. What I propose is to make the weekend thread be our outlet for both classic, hybrid classic, and modern film cameras. In all other threads we would continue to follow the guidelines posted in the old site with the understanding that our moderator may move a thread or post if it belongs elsewhere.

BTW, great images everyone.

Sensible suggestion, Mike. I assume, for the purposes of this exercise, that "modern film cameras" includes any film camera manufactured up to the present day, auto-everything or otherwise? For example, I have a small collection of Olympus MJU (Stylus) cameras that have never had a B&W film through them, and I was thinking of trying them with this medium, for this thread on the Forum.

Then I bought a large garment bag, which I used to dry the next roll of film. It made a huge difference in reducing the amount of dust that accumulated on the film.

This next image was from that roll. The few specs that are showing are from the scanner. The film is nice and clean.

Zeiss Super Ikonta III, Tessar 75mm f3.5.

1803952132_IkontaiiiTessarAcros10020170222_044s.thumb.jpg.24b155f76ad75686e8e3141d3641c0b5.jpg

• Like 1

Hello everyone. Darin I have also been cursed with these moons now & then with all my folders and believe it is some type of physical mishap upon the film.. I have NOT seen these "moonies" with other 6x6 or 6x7 cameras. I have not been successful in "curing" this bug. Fortunately they are easy to rework out of the file using most post-production software. Now & then I "forget" to put the red window curtain up after advancing the film, but that type of goof is a very noticeable "bloob". Aloha, Bill

The "moons " are usually the result of buckling or denting the film pre-development, usually occurring during the loading of the film into a reel. I can recall my early attempts to load film into the metal Kinderman reels, where you clip the film into the axis of the reel and then work out to the edge, compressing the film into the spiral; I achieved virtual constellations of moons before I mastered the process.

Since it's a slow weekend, here are a few more frames. As I mentioned in my earlier post I've been meaning to run some B&W film through some of the Olympus MJU cameras in my possession, better known as Stylus in the USA, I believe. We had a brief few hours this afternoon between rain bands sweeping up the country, and I hurriedly loaded a short length of film into one of the cameras and took a walk down the road. The model I chose was the all-steel MJU V, one of the prettiest little cameras I own, with a 38-105mm Olympus ED lens. After I overcame the slight panic brought on by realising that I had little or no control over the camera, I relaxed and just pointed and shot. After all, the MJUs have stood me in good stead with colour, so why not in black and white? I wasn't disappointed; the negatives were well-exposed, with the gritty sharpness and contrast typical of these Olympus lenses. I've selected three images from the fifteen frames, and hope they show something of the quality these cameras are capable of producing. Film was Kentmere 100 developed in PMK Pyro

The Coach House

1006508247_TheCoachHousePnet.thumb.jpg.b66be057dcac48b4511b2b4eca89a2e7.jpg

Family

1894469748_ParkPnet.jpg.9db631a6c4e003c5d3593ec445d10fc0.jpg

Ivy

506256010_IvyPnet.thumb.jpg.854fb3616c5779d170ecaa0491dfa6a2.jpg

• Like 2

This is the Forrest Hill Bridge. One of the tallest in California.

Bessa I 6x9 folding camera, with a 105mm f3.5 Color-Skopar.[ATTACH=full]1180590[/ATTACH]

Need to check my lens but I may have the same camera.. so I'm pleased to see some decent images ..mine have been less than fulfilling.

BTW the crescent image above the bridge IMHO is a kink(knick) or fold) in the film. It occurred probably when loading in the tank when the film was bent or twisted.. It is usually permanent and will appear whenever you print the negative and may also be visible upon inspecting the film. Occurs in MF easier than 35mm.

That pyramid with the ZI is also very nice!!

I believe I mentioned before that I received some gifts from a friend. My colleague had told me "somewhere" she had an Olympus body and some other stuff, but thought her boyfriend had taken the stuff to "Goodwill" She said she'd look and see!!

We both volunteered to help answer phones for a Christmas Charity drive and she handed over a little cotton bag with an Olympus OM10 body and a Minolta X300 body and a 70-210mm Tokina lens in Nikon mount.

With a little fumbling and fresh batteries I got them all going. The Nikon I have is a "Modern Film Camera" the inimitable F301/N2000. Since I rarely use this, I put off trying out the lens. I 'm also not one for long focal lengths. I like panoramas and landscapes. We are at the last stages of the Rhine winter flood..typically this peaks in February, but with a lot of recent rain.. the Rhine spilled over its usual routes. Here's a few "color" screen shots for a change!

2017-03-26_220348.jpg.f41c38a3332e117c107cee95b67f0687.jpg

Another ... 2017-03-26_220256.jpg.96a37905628d0e4a1d34e0d2e17c8f5e.jpg

Some signs of Spring!!

2017-03-26_220208.jpg.e325e4cccb5305447d9c01f3ade03248.jpg

2017-03-26_220123.jpg.2b2eb1542aab737e5ca7be41757eb36b.jpg

Edited by chuck_foreman|1