remember me

mag_miksch

I have also noticed that the "Remember Me" has vanished.

What I have done is use my browser's "Remember" function - I usually use Firefox on my office computers, but I think every browser has a pop-up which asks you if you want it to remember the login password.

Alternatively, I think that you could save your Profile Page in your Browser's "Favorites". I think if you do that when you are logged into Photonet, your computer remembers your login (I think you need to have Photonet cookies accepted) and your computer automatically does so - so you just drop down your "Favorites" and click on your Profile page and it opens with you already logged in - that's how I use my travel laptop, using Internet Explorer .

WW

I have the "new posts " page set as a favourite on my browser and I don't have to sign in more than say 1 in 10 times tops. Wish it actually meant "new posts " though!

I haven't had to "re-sign in" at all using Firefox.

Using IE yes I have had to re sign in a few times.

Yes I agree, David. I haven't worked out the exact functionality of "New Posts".

WW

For example, after posting the above I left Photo.net and immediately re-entered as above. The thread containing my own post- less than a minute old- was not on the "new posts list" To get something that is really "new posts " I need to request "recent posts" . "New posts" should really be called "threads on which there at least one post I haven't read because I haven't opened that thread since the last post was placed on it" Simple really. Not hard to put right either!
  • Like 1

Yes, I read the Header "New Posts" should mean literally "New Posts" the same as your interpretation.

But it doesn't phase me all that much.

As a general comment I think I probably read too much, too literally and if I were phased by all of that, I would be in a Catch 22 situation - (bigtime)!

WW

On the original question, I think the remember me function has gone. Remembering login details is offered by some browsers, including Firefox as noted above. I use Firefox, and don't usually have to log in. I guess that when I do, something has been reset at the site.

I see that when I click 'New Posts', the URL of the page loaded includes a number; it was 85561 not long ago (so https://www.photo.net/discuss/find-new/85561/posts ) but the number gets larger every time. So if you bookmarked the 'New Posts' page you loaded on a particular occasion, I guess you would always return to a list of what was new on that occasion. For the sake of interest, I copied the URL including that number, and reloaded it a few times. I see that the elapsed time associated with each post in the list changes when I reload it, but new posts don't seem to be added. So the page to bookmark would seem to be https://www.photo.net/discuss/find-new/posts , without a number in it.

... but yes, anything you have just posted yourself falls outside the site's definition of new-to-you. If it were my site, I think I'd say that's a feature, not a bug.

• Like 1