Square format

10 x10 mm : Goerz Minicord<br/>

14x14mm Gemflex, Tone camera, all HIT type cameras<br/>

24x24mm Robot I, Robot II, Robot III, Robot Royal, Zeiss Tenax, Zeiss Taxona, Mecaflex,

Agfa Isomat Rapid

<br/>

4x4 Baby Rolleiflex,

Yashica 44 and 44LM 40x40mm<br/>

6x6cm Rolleiflex, Rolleicord, Ikoflex, Ricohflex, YashicatMat 6x6...

My hoard:<p>

2¼-inch square folders, including some that can do 2¼ square as one of two or more sizes:<p>

Agfa Isolette III; Certo Super Sport Dolly (two of those; they also do 4.5x6, or 2¼x1⅝, since I started in inches!); AGI Agifold; Ensign Ranger Special (also does 2¼x3¼ with hinged masks); Century Graphic (I have backs for 2¼ square and 2¼x3¼)<p>

'Sort-of 2-inch square' folder: Atom Six II. This folder takes 120 film, but it has a large margin round the image. The image is 53mm square, or you can put in a reducing mask for sixteen frames 50x43mm - what sort of size is that? <p>

2¼ TLR: only a Lubitel 166B.<p>

2¼ square SLR: KW Pilot Super.<p>

4cm TLR: Yashica 44 and 44LM.<p>

4cm Others: Kodak Brownie 44A<p><p><p>

From the Pilot Super: the old paper mill in Otley, West Yorkshire:<p>

4794969418_bbb717a874_z.jpg

The HTML tags are showing up because the posters put them there. At first, with the new version of Photo.net, just using the ENTER key would not get the line breaks to appear in the post. People would use <BR> or <P> to get the line or paragraph breaks. Now that has been corrected and the HTML codes, <BR><P>, are no longer needed, just hit the ENTER key when writing the post. In the old posts where the HTML code was used, that code now shows up but those posts will fade into history soon enough.
James G. Dainis

My square format cameras in order of acquisition:

Windsor (like the Diana) took 16 4x4 cm images on 120- bought for three Popsicle coupons and 65 cents in 1966 (later it fell apart)

Sears 127 (Imperial Cubex) in 1968 (12 4x4 images on 127)

Kodak Instamatic 124 (28 x 28 mm) received as gift in 1970

Yashicamat D (bought used in 1987)

Rolleicord III (bought used in 2004)

Yashica 44A (12 4x4 on 127) 2008

My adventures with square format began a few decades ago with a new Yashica Mat 124G. Over the ensuing years, I've owned a few Rollieflex Automats -- mx--evs models, a 2.8 C and D with Xenotar and Planar, a few Zeiss Super Ikonta Bs -- one B and two BXes -- an Ikonta, an Agfa Isolette III and a Yashica Mat 124 (not G). Currently, I own the Agfa Isolette III, the Zeiss Ikonta, a Super Ikonta BX, and the Yashica Mat 124. Of all the ones I've owned but wish I still owned, it would be the Rolleiflex C and D. There was just something special about those lenses. Their images had a wonderful, almost Daguerreotype quality about them.

Great example of Minolta 24 Rapid, Rick. Somewhere in storage building I have an Agfa Rapid which has a simple f 11 lens and single speed shutter as well as built-in AG-1 reflector. I think it was their answer to the Instamatic. To compare, the Kodapak cartridge (126) did allow a slightly bigger 28 x 28 frame but it wasn't held as flat as most 35mm rapid formats. Also I think the highest performing lenses and metering systems were found among the better rapid models. Finally, the 126 cartridge was bulky meaning that a rapid camera of similar specs could be smaller.

I have little experience with half frame 35mm. There have been so many fine cameras made. I had a Yashica model,that I gave away. It was a auto exposure model, and the meter was dead somehow. The lens looked fine, but it didn'T work!!

When I first started using a Yashica D. I wanted MF quality and I liked it!! And the square format was .. well you have to "get it" ie.. you frame for squares becasue you can't turn the camera ... so you just deal with it. I loved the TLRs and I had/have a few. Later though I grew to dilike it.. The 3:2 ratio makes more sense to my concept...and those TLRs at waist level became limiting..not least of all becasue of the viewing and my failing eyesight with age. . While I do "get it " ... I'm not so fond of it... give me panorama or at least 3:2... It'S the golden rule... right!!

• 2 weeks later...

Rick - I'm a square format junkie, and would love to get my hands on a Minolta 24 Rapid. Would you mind sharing where you obtained yours, and if you have any suggestions for where I should look? (A quick search of the big auction site and the web yielded no results).

Thank you,

Raj

• 2 weeks later...