A little Help

james_f6

<p>I know a person who is deaf and learning challenged and is having an issue with his Sony A65. I am not able to see his camera or speak to him, thus we chat online.<br /> I at first I thought he may have had the image ratio in 16:9 and not 3:2, but he says it's 3:2.<br /> I will copy and paste his comments, there are a few, ignore the fact he wants an A99 now, and any help on his A65 Issue.<br /> <strong>"I am not happy with my Sony A65 anymore....Every time I take a picture with the Tamron 18-270mm I never get the full frame picture I see in the viewfinder or on the lcd screen of my camera."</strong><br /> <strong>"I will explain this one more time...The image is see in the evf is not recorded in the final product after I press the shutter button..It is like the picture got cropped. I cant explain it any better."</strong><br /> <strong>" it always been set at 3.2..The picture still comes out cropped when I click the shutter...I really think I need a full frame camera cause the full image in the evf and lcd screen does not get recorded...I want the full image that I see in the evf not a cropped image. I still think I should upgrade to the A99...It always been at 3.2...I really think i need to upgrade to the A99."</strong><br /> So as you can see, either I am not understanding what he is writing and trying to explain, or I am missing an in camera setting or issue with the lens.<br /> FYI the EVF and LCD on the A65, A77, A99 is 100%. So what you see through the lens is what shows on the screen. Thus I am confused as to what is happening.<br /> <br /> <br /> </p>

<p>This is his last comment. I am sorta gonna throw in the towel soon, he is gettting nasty about it.<br>

" Ok let me try this way and this is the last time I am trying cause I am out of patience....I see my dog's whole body in the evf and lcd screen of my camera...Now after I take the picture the dogs legs are not in the picture..I am not saying anymore."</p>

<p>The only thing I can think of is the aspect ratio... I looked through all the setting in my A77 and that would be the only thing that would cause it to be cropped... Is he shooting RAW? Are these "cropped" shots viewed in camera or uploaded to a PC first? Does he have some weird picture effect on? Has he tried to reset the camera settings?</p>

<p>I don't think he understands what he is doing or saying. He is rambling on about the camera does not give what he see's and he is giving up photography. And then he wants to buy an A99 cause that will give him what he wants. Then he is back to giving up photography, and the swings of emotions goes on.<br>

I have sorta stopped talking to him now, because I think it's all a bit crazy. I was willing to help, but his responses are all so bi-polar.<br>

He asks for help, then stated he does not understand what is being asked of him because he has a learning disability. yada yada yada.<br>

I think it is the user and not the camera. But trying to ask him to check things, seems to make him aggro. So I am steering clear.</p>

<p>Is he already shooting on full auto mode or is he using one of the other modes? I'm going to assume that in full auto, the camera won't allow overrides like aspect ratio or some other setting he could have accidentally turned on. If he's not using full auto perhaps switching to that for a test would be the next option. Beyond that it sounds like someone really needs to sit down with him and see the behavior of the camera.</p>

<p>James, I don't know the answer to his problem but chances are that this takes a "hands on" involvement. It is not reasonable that the camera truncates part of the image using a specific lens and has the whole thing when using another. It might even be happening in post. Maybe you could say you can't fix it and gracefully bow out. This may cause him to go to a local expert... or buy the A99.</p>

<p>Certainly does sound like a user related problem! I think that if he has a learning disability this type of camera is way to complicated for him and you may not be able to help him -- but it is very kind of you to try to be of help.<br>

<br />As for the problem he's having, there are a couple possiblities. As mentioned already, aspect ratio which he should set to 3:2 and the other is that he may have the "smart teleconverter" on. I don't use that function on my A99 so I have no personal experience. I have that that key set to focus magnifier in the menus. </p>

<p>Well I believe someone rang the local camera store on his behalf and next week he will go in there and someone is going to look at his camera and sort it out for him.<br>

I stopped giving suggestions, because I was just seeing endless post about the issue, and how he has given up photography, then he wants to upgrade, then he gives up again, now he is back again. in, out, in, out lol.</p>

<p>He has a learning disability, so he wants what he wants (no logic involved) "he wants a what you see is what you get response from the camera". He's not getting that with a a65. It is not a full frame camera. I think the a99 would be exactly what he's looking for because it is a full frame camera and "what you see is what you get with it". His mind will retain details of the shot you and I would never notice missing.<br /> Just my thoughts on the subject.... My nephew has major learning disabilities also and has this same issues with an a77 and gets upset when it's not what he see's when he first views the photo. I just can't give a 9 year old an a99 camera worth so much to play on when he has temper issues, so I keep telling when he's older he'll get to use my camera without my helping. It works most of the time :)<br /> Kath</p>

<p>Hi Katherine,<br>

I had an A65 until a week ago, when I sold it to my brother after getting my A99.<br>

From my experience, with the A65, A77 and A99, no matter what lens you put on there, what you see in the viewfinder and on the LCD on the back, is what you will see when you export or view the image. Since it is digital those models give 100% viewing. So nothing should be cropped.<br>

For example, no matter what lens you have on the A65, even though its a crop sensor, the image you see is 100% what you get. Nothing was ever cut off my images. I mean sure you have a magnification factor, but the camera never crops an image unless you have it in 16:9 aspect ratio.<br>

So what part of the image on the A77 is getting cropped on your A77?<br>

This is strange, nothing should be cropped. </p>

<p>Well got the Answer. The camera was fine, apparently the camera store person viewed him taking an image.<br>

Apparently part of his disability is hand movements, so when he takes a shot with the camera, he is moving the camera.<br>

Thus he cuts people heads and feet off. </p>