Tracking Comments

Not Here

This subject has been mentioned in passing in other forum threads but I haven't seen a concise response from the mods. To me it's important enough to have it's own thread and is crucial to my use of the new version. How and where can I see that new comments have been made on my images without perusing every single image in my portfolio? And how and where can I see any follow-up comments made to others' photos? To be able to do these two things are what made the original site unique and community friendly. If not already there, these features are a must add.... Mike

Both of these functions are absolutely essential to my ability to use the critique forum. Since these are clearly so important, I'm guessing that their absence is just a temporary issue that is on its way to being solved...I hope? The other missing piece for successful critiquing is the ability for me to call up the list of my past comments on others' images--that's also essential so that I can provide some continuity in my comments on a body of work, and I used that function a lot.

This is also very important to me. I occasionally comment in the forums (and have even started a thread recently) but most of my attention is on individual posted pictures. I very much enjoy exchanges and discussions with my fellow photographers. It is the primary reason that I'm on pn in the first place. The redesign of the comment section, the longggg lines stretching across the page and the lighter text makes it harder to read (old eyes). I can live with that and will eventually adjust to it, I guess. What really bothers me is that there seems to be no way to find out at a glance whether there have been any new comments on my pictures or whether there has been any replies (mine or others) to a comment I've made on other member's pictures. This is absolutely crucial to my enjoyment of pn and I sincerely hope this issue will be addressed. Maybe you could just add back those original listing features (new comments and follow up comments). Also would you do something to improve the readability of the photo information (details) on uploaded pictures. Blue on blue may be stylish if you're 25 years old but when you're post 70 it's awfully hard to read.
  • Like 3

I initially thought its the alert functionality which turns red when you have new activity on your account. Whether somebody quotes you in one of the threads or posts a critic to one of your photos, it would be reflected in the alerts, but I may be wrong.

+1 That the redesign makes this problem is symptomatic of both purpose and implementation deficiencies. If the engineers were in touch with the core value of PN to it's members, this would never have become a problem. This is the core of bitterness, that the redesign seems to be an attempt to emulate some hermorphadite cross breeding between facebook, 500 pix, flicker, and god knows what else, while sacrificing the core.

But I'm not going away. The members are here, and that's why I'm here, and the management can damn well change to accommodate us, not the other way around.

On a positive note, (just to prove I'm not a complete Debbie Downer), I like the ability to explore photos ranked by 'new' (I've probably got the term wrong), but they are not pre-curated by anybody else.

Still fumbling with the nuances of posts, comments, critiques, etc., but we have been promised (or at least teased with the possibility of) an FAQ

• Like 1

Supriyo, Leslie, Jack and Wayne: Well, I would say I've had an euphony but in reality it's just a confirmation of my thoughts at the first roll-out of this version. I'm not a forum person, never have been and don't expect to be in the future; but I've been observing this forum since this Trojan horse rolled out and there's one thing exceptionally clear. Not all problems are being solved but the majority are receiving some sort of feedback. The subject of tracking comments is being cold shouldered. I don't think these features were ever intended to be part of this program and don't believe there's any plan to include them. I also don't Twitter and don't Facebook but if you look at the bottom of each page here you'll find both. PhotoNet is turning into a database for both, that's where all the community friendliness will occur, not here ("Sign Up to see what your friends recommend."). If the mods can prove me wrong, great; but don't look for it. This site is dead as we've known and loved it. Obviously Twitter and Facebook pay a lot better than we do. Good light to all of you, I won't be back until this is fixed or I'm confirmed... Mike