Tribute to a Dead Tree

Sanford

<p>Sanford, I know what you mean. Many moons ago, working for the Forest Service, I knew several impressive dead trees that marked waypoints on wilderness trails. Even dead, they contributed to our lives in ways we never appreciated until they came down. Then, they were wounds in the land that never healed, scars that never went away.</p>

<p>Here's one I haven't seen for at least 20 years. I'd like to think it's still there, but...</p><div>00eLHw-567616684.jpg.06534e37ffc1f2ab9de8d6f55bdc9eec.jpg</div>

<p>That's a poignant series of wonderful images, Sanford--a suitable tribute. I also have a tree that has long stuck in my memory, but only revisited once. To get this view I climbed about 800 ft above Deep Lake in the Marble Mtns Wilderness. I just checked Google satellite imagery, and it's still present, but it looks like it's on the ground. What is it about snags that make them seem so much more compelling than leafless deciduous trees (with the possible exception of oaks)?</p><div>00eLIK-567617684.jpg.02eec968714c295aee7fbed3e8ced14e.jpg</div>