Have you seen the M10?

<p>They all look alike. Except this one shaves off 3.5mm in width, matching the width of the film M Leicas and putting to rest the gripes many Leicaphiles had with the "fat" digital M cameras. Since my favorite film Leica is the M5, which is slightly larger than the "normal" film M Leica, I never had an issue with the shape of the digital M bodies.<br>

<br /> Here is the link to the M10: <a href="https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M10?utm_campaign=LeicaM10&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=">https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M10?utm_campaign=LeicaM10&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=</a></p>

<p>I find the new viewfinder of particular interest - higher magnification (= M2) and higher eye relief. I can't see the entire 28 mm frame in the M9 while wearing glasses. Good move! Anyone able to afford a new M10 is probably old enough to need glasses ;) 24 MP is middle of the road these days, but sans AA filter, the resolution is more than sufficient. </p>

<p>High ISO is also interesting. The M9 goes to 2500, but is barely useable at 800 due to the noise. The M9 CCD produces lush, Velvia-like colors in daylight. It will be interesting to see how the M10 will do.</p>

<p>A slimmed-down digital M is of less interest to me. The M9 is not too large, IMO, and I added an RRS hand grip, which improves handling immensely. I like using my M9, but without image stabilization you need a tripod to enjoy 18 MP, much less 24 MP. Focusing at open apertures with lenses longer than 50 mm is spotty.</p>

<p>Raid, I agree. Just with minor refinements, it looks nicer than any other digital M body. No LCD on the top, three menu buttons, a simpler on switch, and the smartly placed ISO dial.</p>

<p>IMHO Leica got it right with the M10. Not that the M240 was bad, but it wasn't tight. They should have never bothered with video on the M240. Live view of course is great to have. It will be interesting to see what happens to prices on the used market.</p>

<p>From what I can tell so far, the M10 is the best digital camera with a 36x24mm sensor on the market today. As Mies van der Rohe would say, less is more.</p>

<p>Slimmer is welcome, but I don't buy the 'purist' argument about video and see no point in excluding a basic feature of every phone and $100 P&S camera from something as insanely priced as this. It should be there for those who want it, and perhaps will be in the next model - if the M10 can do live view, then the slim design doesn't preclude video.</p>

<p>I would be more concerned about the lower battery life. The absence of an i/o connection is a bit daring. However it does now look like a real film M camera. I wonder how good the viso is. The lack of video would be unimportant to me and I suspect most M users. Who shoots video on an M?</p>
Robin Smith

<p>100-150 shots/charge with a digital M is not as bad as it seems. The Leica is very sparing of of the battery when not actually taking pictures, unlike the continual drain from an electronic finder. Battery life is improved if you let the camera go to sleep. Wakeup time is reasonably brisk, but not as quick as with most DSLRs.</p>

<p>Lack of a data port is not particularly important. It is relatively easy to remove the card for reading, faster and more reliable than through a data port. Tethered operation is probably not a high priority for Leica style photography.</p>

<p>I think the camera looks great and it seems they may have finally got it right, assuming the image quality is there (low light noise in particular). The improved viewfinder will indeed be interesting to check out as this was my biggest difficulty with Ms, as much as I like(d) them.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Agree 24MP is big enough. However, Leica staying with 24MP makes me thinking if this is due to Leica lens limitation. If that's true, then Leica fans, including myself, will have a gigantic burden to upgrade if Leica chooses larger sensor in the future. Any thoughts? I hope I am wrong.</p>

<p>It's great Leica put the digital M on a diet, but (given the other upgrades) for my money it's not enough of an upgrade over the MP-240. If I were inclined I would wait for the M10-P, but as it is, I'm contented to skip it in favor of the M11 (whatever/whenever that will be).</p>

<p>Besides, I've gotten used to my Leica being a little on the chunky side. </p>

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

<blockquote>

<p>If you use your imagination ..., it looks like an old M2 that had the button rewind and no self-timer. The ASA dial looks similar to the rewind knob.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm sure that's precisely what Leica designers were after.</p>

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

<blockquote>

<p>If that's true, then Leica fans, including myself, will have a gigantic burden to upgrade if Leica chooses larger sensor in the future. Any thoughts?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's a very interesting point. Leica could make the sensor bigger, and that would be a good thing. But that does not meant that you have to buy new lenses.<br>

<br>

FWIW, I think that the SL will get a bigger sensor - in fact, I think that the SL will replace the S. But that's a slightly different thing.</p>

<p>Finally a digital M that I like. M8 with its crop factor was never an attractive alternative to people with Leica legacy lenses, especially the wide angle ones. I tried M9 and was unimpressed; unusually ghastly sound of the shutter and an antiquated screen and buttons (it looked like left-overs from the late 1990s). M Typ 240 was finally there in terms of looks and handling but, granted it was too fat. Finally M10 and the size of film bodies, simplicity and no silly video option (on an RF body). I really like that. But then Fujifilm released a very sexy X100F and I think I am still going to keep my Leica MP and its Leica lenses for film, and for digital stick with Fuji (at least for now). Just my $0.02.</p>

<p><em>Leica staying with 24MP makes me thinking if this is due to Leica lens limitation.....</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

Good lord man, we need to stop all those foolish people using M lenses on their Sony A cameras.....the optics can't handle all those megapixels, LOL....<em><br /></em></p>

<p>Never have given any of the digital M's a passing thought. After looking at several M10 videos and reading the specs and all, it's appealing. They have the ISO up where it belongs for a street shooter, and the ergonomics and menu set-ups look very good. $6500 isn't chump change by any measure, but in Leica-land, it's 'reasonable'. </p>

<p>I think I would rather have the M6 or MP since I shoot film.. However if I had to shoot digital I would buy the Leica M 262 because they left the video and live view out of the camera. It does seem Leica is making a camera for everybody and you can now pick the features you would like to have such as packed with features to minimalist. </p>

<p>I guess I will take back the digital camera pick. If I could not shoot film then I would just shoot my cell phone. However I do agree that the Leica digital camera's are a real nice choice for the person wanting to use digital capture. </p>