Monitor under $500?

<p>Does anyone have a recommendation (or two?) for a monitor costing under $500? My budget is flexible, but not drastically.</p>

<p>I work on a 13" MacBook Pro with a retina display and would like to be able to hook it up to something larger for processing photographs and also for typesetting (QuarkXpress; InDesign). If it can rotate to vertical, that would be a real plus.</p>

<p>(In case this information matters: I don't currently have any calibration hardware/software but will in the future, and I am in the US.)</p>

<p>Up the budget if you can, see if you can find maybe a used NEC SpectraView with mated software and colorimeter and you're all set. <br>

The single most important component of a '<em>digital darkroom</em>' is the display. If our eyes are the windows into our soul, our displays are the windows into our RGB and CMYK numbers and (assuming) you care about what you see is very close to what you get, <strong>critical</strong>! </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>The iMac isn't really anything special compared to a SpectraView If calibration and the features below are important to you:</p>

<ol>

<li>Nearly all if not all current SpectraView displays are wide gamut, Apple's and most other's are not (sRGB like gamut) with the exception of the new iMac P3 displays. But SpectraView can emulate sRGB with a push of a button. The new P3 iMac cannot. Best of both worlds!</li>

<li> SpectraView uses a high bit internal processing path (at least 10-bit) with internal 3D LUTs, many other's do not. These high bit LUTs allow precise adjustments to be made to the display’s Tone Response Curve without reducing the number of displayable colors or introducing color banding artifacts.</li>

<li>Newer NEC SpectraView's use GBr LED which produce far more precise control of White Point, run cooler, use less energy, run far longer than CCFL.</li>

<li>SpectraView has 3-4 year on site warranty.</li>

<li>SpectraView panels are hand selected from the manufacturer line (pick of the litter). </li>

<li>SpectraView has electric technologies like ColorComp, which adjusts and improves screen (brightness) uniformity using individually measured matrices for each display at the factory. All done high bit with compensation for operating time and temperature. </li>

<li>SpectraView has electric technologies like GammaComp, to adjust the monitor's internal 10-bit gamma Look-Up-Table, allowing various custom display gamma or Tone-Response-Curves to be achieved. Apple and many other's don't have anything like this. </li>

<li>SpectraView is a smart display system that integrates custom software for calibration including multiple target calibration's which can be loaded to adjust the display while loading the associated ICC profile, Apple (and few other products aside from Eizo) cannot do this. To quote from the manual: “<em>SpectraView communicates with the display monitors using Display Data Channel - Command Interface (DDC/CI) which is a two-way communications link between the video graphics adapter and display monitor using the normal video signal cable. No extra cables are necessary. All adjustments to the monitor settings are done automatically using this communications link. It is not necessary to manually configure the monitor as all of the necessary settings are made by the software“. </em>Apple and other's has nothing like this, nor can 3rd party software you have to pay for extra do this. This is an attribute built from the ground up in SpectraView to serve as a 'reference display system' ala Barco, PressView, Sony Artisan of the past. </li>

<li>SpectraView will bundle a custom mated Colorimeter with their software for calibration. The price you pay for software and colorimeter with the SpectraView, depending on what country you live in costs significantly <strong>less</strong> than buying the hardware and software for a non SpectraView. And that extra money will not provide a fraction of the capabilities outlined.</li>

<li>SpectraView PA series offer the ability to calibrate WITHOUT a Colorimeter with the FREE Multiprofiler software since each panel is measured with a very expensive spectroradiometer and that data is embedded in a chip in the panel. It can update the calibration as the unit ages to ensure calibration. </li>

<li>SpectraView can emulate with a single click other behaviors, again on the fly, so it can simulate a non wide gamut display (sRGB) among other standardized behaviors (Broadcast Video DICOM, etc)</li>

<li>SpectraView has internal electronic control over contrast ratio, few others can provide this control over black. Real useful for soft proofing on media that has differing contrast ratio's (matt vs. glossy papers). </li>

<li>SpectraView has Network support (Windows only).</li>

<li>SpectraView has provisions to lock the display controls so no accidental alteration to behavior by mistake. </li>

<li>SpectraView displays allow the user to raise and lower the display for best viewing position AND it can be rotated 90 degrees for Portrait. </li>

<li>Several SpectraView's support Picture in Picture (you can have two differing calibration's per picture). </li>

</ol>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>The Dell U2713HM 27" Widescreen LED Backlit LCD Monitor is as sharp as the equivalent Apple monitor, but has the less glossy matte finish. That can be better depending on the reflections in your workspace. I got mine from B&H two years ago without a hitch. I haven't been keeping up on developments since then.</p>

<p>At the budget of $500, which as far as I can see might be tight for a NEC (sure, if you find one, they're excellent units), I'd have a look at the Dell Ultrasharp monitors. They're good value, not the best monitors you'll ever find but they perform well, have the features you need and with good calibration can work good.<br>

No, they won't reach the level that Andrew described, but their price reflects that and not being the best doesn't mean they're not good, of course.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Does anyone have a recommendation (or two?) for a monitor costing under $500?</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

What GPU is in your MBP? Are you fine with sRGB or wish for RGB, Noreen? BenQ and Asus both make great 27" sRGB monitors for this price range. Options open up if you go for 24". <br>

<br>

I have three 27" Ultrasharps hooked up to my desktop and find they are great workhorses and also suggest one. My 13" MBP powers one @1920x1200 just fine for basic email and surfing. With the increased popularity of 4K, you can find used Dell u2711 on Cl or ebay for decent prices now. NEC is crème de la crème but sounds over-kill for you unless you're doing pre-press? I'd save your pennies.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Are you fine with sRGB or wish for <strong>RGB</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>What <em>RGB</em> would that be Eric? ALL displays produce RGB...<br /> Fact: there are sRGB gamut displays (which is only ONE attribute of sRGB as specified). There are wide gamut displays who's gamut is (duh) wider than sRGB. They can have a gamut as large or slightly larger than Adobe RGB (1998) which is one attribute of Adobe RGB (1998). There's DCI-P-3 RGB gamut displays too. Similar but not he same as an Adobe RGB (1998) gamut.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>NEC is crème de la crème but sounds over-kill for you unless you're doing pre-press?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nope. It's useful for anyone who cares about the qualities of a color reference display SYSTEM who's attributes, 16 of them, are outlined above. Has <strong>nothing</strong> to do with PrePress per se.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> BenQ and Asus both make great 27" sRGB</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Which do you own?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Can you answer the op's question, Andrew, and suggest a monitor for under $500?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NEC-EA245WMI-BK-Display-MultiSync-24-LED-LCD-Monitor-16-10-6-ms-1920-x/152303126731?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40839%26meid%3D15bc4af1ba6c413db116f13704479dcc%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D232154725630&rt=nc</p>

<p>http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-24-1920-x-1200-1000-1-LCD-Monitor-with-Spectraview-II-EA245WMi-BK-SV-/391656878009?hash=item5b3091afb9:g:Oj8AAOSwa~BYWM9z</p>

<p>Sorry the facts of the topic <strong>you</strong> mangled and misunderstand <em>continue</em> to ruin your life. And again, of the BenQ and Asus YOU recommended, which do you own?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Are you fine with sRGB or wish for <strong>RGB</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Guy transports himself (unfortunately) to<em> Planet Eric.</em> He's hungry so he asks the sole inhabitant living there if he can recommend a place to eat within a 100 mile radius. He's told there are lots of options in that sized area. He's told there's a restaurant that has good Mexican food and a many dozens others that serve "<em>food</em>". On <em>that</em> planet, this is considered a really good answer!</p>

<p>That low-end NEC can be found cheaper elsewhere, with no ebay seller, AND comes with SpectraviewII. I don't know anyone that owns one, though. How about you, Andrew? Does it serve you well? </p>

<p>Here you are, Dave. Dell's killing it lately. 7680 x 4320, the 10-bit panel sports the same resolution as four 4K monitors! <a href="/digital-darkroom-forum/petapixel.com/2017/01/06/dell-releases-crazy-8k-monitor-33mp-resolution-100-adobergb/">Dell Releases Crazy 8K Monitor with 33MP Resolution and 100% AdobeRGB </a>petapixel.com/2017/01/06/dell-releases-crazy-8k-monitor-33mp-resolution-100-adobergb/</p>

<blockquote>

<p>That low-end NEC can be found cheaper elsewhere, with no ebay seller, AND comes with SpectraviewII.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>But it <em>IS</em> less than $500 as per both the OP and <strong>your</strong> request from me!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't know anyone that owns one, though.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You know anyone that owns the undefined models by both BenQ and Asus you've <strong>recommended</strong> or a specific module (below) by Dell?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How about you, Andrew? Does it serve you well?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>At one time, it served the wife fine! She's now got <em>another</em> hand me down NEC display I've reviewed over the years; a PA271W.<br>

<br /> And again, <em>supposedly:</em></p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>BenQ and Asus both make great 27" sRGB</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>...is based on <strong>actual</strong> experience or made up?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Dell's killing it lately. 7680 x 4320, the 10-bit panel sports the same resolution as four 4K monitors!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Like your opinions on the new 2016 MBP, also based on zero actual experience Eric?</p>

<p>This 27in. LG IPS LED sRGB monitor I bought at Best Buy for around $330. It's by now an older model that's been replaced with an equivalent at Best Buy. These PN threads shows accurate looking pictures I posted of how well it calibrates for photo editing.</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00cOaL<br /> http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00boaj?start=0</p>

<p>There is a more expensive pro version of this LG display you can look into to check pricing.</p>