Timer Remote for Nikon DC2 connector?

derek_thornton1

<p>Nikon does not make a Timer Remote for any of the DC2 Nikon Cameras. This includes the D610, D600, D7200, D7100 and many more.</p>

<p>So, If you need a Timer Remote for a Nikon Camera with a DC2 connector you have to buy a third party product. The one that stands out the most is the Vello unit, primarily because it is sold at B&H. Since owning my D600 I have gone through 3 Vello units and I rarely even use them. I can not understand what is going on here. I treat them well and I never see bad reviews on them. The Vello unit turns on, it just does not fire, whether using it manually or timed. All three have done the same thing. I contacted Vello and they say that the have not seen this problem. My daughter owns a Nikon D5100 and it will not work on that either. Is there something wrong with my D600 causing these units to go bad?</p>

<p>There are a dozen or more different brands of timer remote on the market, most look identical all, are made in China. I would like to know what brand is working well for you and how long you have been using it. All of mine quit working after about 14 months, no matter how many times I have used them. Obviously, I would like to try another brand and considering the Energizer Brand, they make good batteries.</p>

<p>Any help will be appreciated,<br>

Derek</p>

derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com

For remote firing on a D7200 I use a pair of

YongNuo RF-603 iin triggers without any issue. Or

for short range an MLL3 IR remote.

<p>

I rarely use the intervalometer function, but that's

built right into the camera menu and again works

as advertised.

<p>

I don't know all the menu options on the other cameras you mention, but do some of them not offer built-in timed release as well?

<p>

As an afterthought: Do the Vello units have a secondary lithium coin cell hidden away by any chance? I had a D700 battery grip/timer with an internal cell that needed replacing every 12 months or so.

<p>I appreciate that Joe, but I am talking about the timed remotes. Like what you would use to do Star Trails. The onboard intervalometer is limited to the longest exposure your camera can handle. I am pretty sure that 30 seconds is max for all cameras. This will not work when you need 2 minute exposures.</p>

<p>I have used a Polaroid remote shutter release on both a D5100 and D7100 for several years. It has proven reliable and effective, if not terribly user friendly. I am still on the original battery. I only use it to control exposures over 30 seconds duration, though it has a number of other functionalities. It will absolutely work for star trails, etc. I have used it for exposures up to 20 minutes, though it will go longer. For 30 seconds or less, I set manual exposure control and use an IR wireless remote (also Polaroid). Each of these items was purchased for under $20 US. </p>

<p>I've bought several generic eBay units for Nikon and Sony and never had any problems. </p>

<p>These things are rather generic and likely come out of the same factory with minor variations for different brands so I'd expect them to perform similarly. As for build quality and reliability, there's really nothing to go wrong with them any more than any other accessory. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I am quite embarrassed to say that I do not own a smart phone and this is just another good reason to get one.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p><em><br /></em>I have a $50 Android tablet and a $100 Windows 10 tablet, both are capable of running full remote control programs for Nikon including remote live view.<br>

See:<br>

<a href="http://www.controlmynikon.com/">http://www.controlmynikon.com/</a><br>

<a href="http://dslrdashboard.info/introduction/">http://dslrdashboard.info/introduction/</a></p>

<p>Michael, can you tell me what android tablet you use? I have been using a little Apple Ipod to listen to music through my car audio system for years and have never had a problem with it. I would imagine that these little tablets are of good quality like the Ipod? Also, do you use the Triggertrap mentioned above to link your tablet with camera?</p>

<p>Hi Derek, my Android tablet is an Azpen A729 which is a couple of years old, dual core 1.5GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, & 8GB SSD + 32G SD card with Android 4.2 - cheap and very functional for my purposes. It was $50 in Canada during a sale and I've heard it was as low as $20 in the U.S.. </p>

<p>I'm sure newer models are just as cheap and with even better specs. </p>

<p>The tablet is as reliable and functional as anything I've owned, and I use it for OBD2 (car), Wi-Fi phone calls when I need to, camera control (D5100), telescope control via Bluetooth, audio work, doubles as a TV with a USB ATSC tuner, GPS offline navigation and more. It' a perfect companion to my Windows 10 tablet (Vulcan VTA080IS16 DC). </p>

<p>I don't need Triggertrap since the camera's USB plugs directly into the tablet's USB OTG port. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>@Michael, so you are still able to control the shutter through a usb cord? Can you get autofocus in bulb mode? I take it that you use the software that you gave links to? Thanks for helping me out. I will check out the Azpen now. My wife just informed me that she can get an Iphone for free that my son dropped in the water several months ago, so I may be set.</p>

<p>Derek, yes, the camera is under full control of the tablet with just a USB cord, but it must be an OTG (on-the-go) USB cord. </p>

<p>As in most instances, the more you want to do, the more complicated it gets especially on a budget. Here are a few things to consider:</p>

<p>My tablet can't charge and use USB peripherals at the same time so battery life will be limited - this is because development of the OTG function was still rather new at the time so make sure anything you buy will be able to do this. You'll need a cheap eBay adapter which will allow 3-4 additional USB ports, and also consider getting a power bank - I bought a cheap case off eBay and use recycled laptop batteries.</p>

<p>I much prefer using my Windows tablet - it can run all Windows applications so I feel right at home, and by design Windows tablets can charge and USB at the same time which opens all sorts of possibilities for expansion. It's also fully equipped with Bluetooth etc.. </p>

<p>A free iPhone will be a good place to start experimenting but you'll need to find equivalent apps which I'm sure is available.</p>

<p> </p>

• 6 months later...
<p>The Polaroid looks identical to my unit, same everything! The triggertrap looks very cool. I am quite embarrassed to say that I do not own a smart phone and this is just another good reason to get one. Thanks for the help folks! </p>

Triggertrap is no more, sadly. A much more reliable device, which does not even require a smartphone, can be seen at www.snaperturepro.com

<blockquote>

<p><em>I am quite embarrassed to say that I do not own a smart phone and this is just another good reason to get one.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p><em><br /></em>I have a $50 Android tablet and a $100 Windows 10 tablet, both are capable of running full remote control programs for Nikon including remote live view.<br>

See:<br>

<a href="ControlMyNikon | Finest Nikon DSLR tethering and Nikon remote control">ControlMyNikon | Finest Nikon DSLR tethering and Nikon remote control</a><br>

<a href="Introduction | qDslrDashboard">Introduction | qDslrDashboard</a></p>

Edited by Piranha